Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: comparison of economic cars.

I'll take the Wrightspeed X1 . Other then that, I would probably have the ford, if I were to ever own one.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The Dutch Organisation ANWB (sort of RAC) made a test to find out what from already famed economic cars, would in fact be the winner.

so they choose
    A Citroen C1 1.0 liter petrol
    B. VW Polo 1.4 TDi Blue Motion
    C. Ford 1.6 TDci Wagon
    D Toyota Prius

In spite of giving hardly information about the way they tested the cars, or the distance, the only thing we know is that it was the same for all, so the results do have some meaning...

So here we go

1. Polo (3.8 litre per 100 km or 61.9 mpg)
    2. Focus (3.9 litre per 100 km or 60.3 mpg)
    3. Citroen (4.1 litre per 100 km or 57.4 mpg)
    4. Prius (4.6 litre per 100 km or 51.1 mpg)

The VW, the Citroen and the Focus were all more economical than the factory said (VW, 3.9 litre, Ford 4.8 litre and the Citroen 4.6). Only the Prius could not realise what the factory promised: 4.3 litre, whereby in particular highway traffic results in higher consumption.

Conclusions: For the same amount of money as the Prius the Focus offers more space and better economy....and if you want. much better performance...
    Pieter, do you want to restart the petrol v diesel argument?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Pieter, do you want to restart the petrol v diesel argument?
    that is up to you....I posted some figures which I thought would be interesting. Unfortunately they did not test the experimental C4 HDi/Hybrid....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

that is up to you....I posted some figures which I thought would be interesting. Unfortunately they did not test the experimental C4 HDi/Hybrid....
    I'm with you that would be very interesting indeed. Altough fuel consumption could hbe affected by the higher weight. Still, the little 3 cylinder in the C1 shows there's still life in the old faithful petrol engine. Another example could be the recently introduced petrol engines in the BMW 1-series.
    Visca Catalunya!

Another example could be the recently introduced petrol engines in the BMW 1-series.
    did you also check the improvements made to the diesels there?

and yes the C1 is economical but not really a family car...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

did you also check the improvements made to the diesels there?

and yes the C1 is economical but not really a family car...
    Yes, the diesels are amazingly good, but so are the petrols. Particularly the new 118i is the version of the range that has lowered its fuel consumption the most. I personally find more impressive the 5,9l/100km figure for the 118i, than the 4,7l/100km figure for the 118d. Furthermore the petrol is more perfoming, and it'll probably be cheaper.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Every morning I see huge S-classes,Phaetons,C6's and 7-series with just one person in them Statu prevents these rich dumbasses to buy a Smart
    Maybe they will if the Smart had the same level of luxury, safety and (sometimes) performance but then it would be alot more expensive than it already is.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Maybe they will if the Smart had the same level of luxury, safety and (sometimes) performance but then it would be alot more expensive than it already is.
    And for the money a Smart costs they could get a car...
    Visca Catalunya!

And for the money a Smart costs they could get a car...
    But something like a Panda Multijet is a decent and comfortable enough city car. It that's not enough for a spoiled driver, than a Mini One D with the 88bhp Toyota D4D engine with a 3,8 to 4L consumption, might be OK. We're talking about a reduce in fuel consumption of about 3 litres/100kms when compared to a big turbo diesel car like a 5 series. In terms of energy saving when multiplied for thousands of drivers it would mean a lot.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Revealing, but at the same time the header is totally misleading as it is clearly not a Toyota factory that does the damage. I am sure other companies buy nickel from there as well.
    Furthermore I can only support the comment by the representative of the Battery Cars producers, that a diesel is probably much more efficient (which was one of the conclusions I made based on the test results that the Dutch came up with)

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    But something like a Panda Multijet is a decent and comfortable enough city car. It that's not enough for a spoiled driver, than a Mini One D with the 88bhp Toyota D4D engine with a 3,8 to 4L consumption, might be OK. We're talking about a reduce in fuel consumption of about 3 litres/100kms when compared to a big turbo diesel car like a 5 series. In terms of energy saving when multiplied for thousands of drivers it would mean a lot.
    For what a Smart costs you could even stretch to a Fiat Grande Punto. The problem with city cars is the diesels don't do much economic sense since you're not going to compensate the price difference with the reduced mileage you will probably be doing. At the same time the petrol engines in modern city cars are quite frugal.

However I understand the need of a diesel for someone who does 50.000 km or more. In this case the modern turbocharged diesel engine of 5 or 6 cylinders do maintain performance with a significant reduction in fuel consumption. I wouldn't do it, but as I said I understand anyone who does it. What I don't understand are those people who buy a diesel just for the sake it, or because it uses less fuel, when they even haven't bothered to look at the price of the car, the road tax and insurance to really see if they are actually saving any money.
    Visca Catalunya!

What I don't understand are those people who buy a diesel just for the sake it, or because it uses less fuel, when they even haven't bothered to look at the price of the car, the road tax and insurance to really see if they are actually saving any money.
    I can give you the secret word....

T...

orque

I can give you the secret word....

T...

orque
    I know people who don't even know what torque is and do barely 10.000km a year, and still buy a diesel...

Besides they could also buy supercharged/turbocharged petrol engines if they like low range punch.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know people who don't even know what torque is and do barely 10.000km a year, and still buy a diesel...
    many people have no clue about torque but intuitively feel the ease at which you can move along in a diesel...

Thread Information