Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW M535i

29 63.04%
  • Lancia Thema 8.32

17 36.96%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW M535i v Lancia Thema 8.32

Thanks for clearing that up still the M535i!

Undoubtely, the M535i.
    My father had an E28 528i Hartge some years ago and the car was amazing do drive!

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK 300ZX
    Undoubtely, the M535i.
    My father had an E28 528i Hartge some years ago and the car was amazing do drive!
    It's funny, my father drove a white E28 Alpina and hated it I don't know why, though.

The Lancia, definitely - possibly the definitive Q car.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    The Lancia, definitely - possibly the definitive Q car.
    It's FWD, before torque-steer countering front suspension geometries. I suspect it would have been a bear to drive. Anyone have a review from when it was new?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    It's FWD, before torque-steer countering front suspension geometries. I suspect it would have been a bear to drive. Anyone have a review from when it was new?
    See it this way, it's a Ferrari without all the Ferrari image issues...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    See it this way, it's a Ferrari without all the Ferrari image issues...
    I have only respect for the drivetrain, but not the layout; a FWD V8 from the 80s... scary.

My favorite non-Ferrari Ferraris for image issues are the new Maseratis.

I have only respect for the drivetrain, but not the layout; a FWD V8 from the 80s... scary.

My favorite non-Ferrari Ferraris for image issues are the new Maseratis.
    Well the 308 had the V8 mounted transversally, which meant it was more or less suited to transform the unassuming Thema into a V8 engined 150mph saloon. I think it's ultra cool, I don't need to know how it drives to know that I love it. A bit like the Miura then...
    Visca Catalunya!

You can find a few contemporary reviews from here.

Torque steer can be reduced with other methods than advanced suspension design e.g. LSD or equal length driveshafts. AFAIK Lancia Thema 8.32 was considered as a good handling car.

I consider it as the coolest 4dr sedan from the 1980s.

Second only to a 911 See vid clip in http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...0&postcount=19

Hillclimb in Scotland .... not a REAL 8:32 , tuned by the owner to match performance tho ---- bloody quick even on the twisties !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The Thema 8.32 was made to be a very special car. This video shows some of the pride the 8.32 was made with:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrEhK_MRmPs

In researching the Thema I came across some bad news; a Spanish basketball player was killed driving his Thema 8.32, a Fernando M Espina. Fast cars can be a handful, I hope the Thema's dynamics didn't further contribute to the accident.

In researching the Thema I came across some bad news; a Spanish basketball player was killed driving his Thema 8.32, a Fernando M Espina. Fast cars can be a handful, I hope the Thema's dynamics didn't further contribute to the accident.
    Why assuming it was the car's fault? Many people have accidents in fast cars and not for that we assume it was the cars fault. If anything I'd say that being front wheel drive made it easier to drive, in the era before electronics invaded everything.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Why assuming it was the car's fault? Many people have accidents in fast cars and not for that we assume it was the cars fault. If anything I'd say that being front wheel drive made it easier to drive, in the era before electronics invaded everything.
    FWD is usually more predictable and easier to drive moderately fast, with terminal understeer. However, if you really overspeed into a corner, meaning above a car's limits, it will just plough straight ahead. Only very extreme braking and steering will coax the rear around; to allow you to slow enough to regain control. Up to a limit the FWD gives you confidence but when you overcook it, FWD bites you with its overloaded front wheels, in my experience.

RWD is naturally more lively (oversteery) and you learn to not ever push that hard and if you do the dynamics don't change as the pace increases. I think that's why RWD is the prefered layout for more powerful cars.

Like you said, now with stability electronics, you can't experience what a car wants to do, as the electronic nanny will step in and stop the fun.

Thread Information