Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Well the most of the attributes think lead to think that as far as handling and performance are concerned the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA is rubbish, and it's probably right. However that wouldn't put me off. Yes it's not perfect, but when you have that styling, that interior and above all that engine everything else becomes a bit irrelevant. I certainly would buy one and all the less than perfect characteristics wouldn't put me off.

Regarding the 159/Brera/Spider, you have to bear in mind that it was a compromised from the start. It was made during the dark days at Fiat, when the group was at the verge of bankruptcy, and at when the tie-up with GM was still strong. So while the Premium platform (the one that underpins the 159, Brera and Spider) was at first engineered from a front engined rear wheel drive layout, Saab (which was also involved in the project) asked for a front engined front wheel drive layout and everything changed. As time went on Saab (and GM) pulled out because of the cost and Fiat was left with a platform which they had invested a lot of money on. At the same time if Alfa Romeo was to compete with the established german premium brands they had to up the quality.

So in the end Fiat decided that the Premium platform would underpin the next generation of mid size Alfa Romeos. As a result of all of the above the cars would still be front wheel drive, with a four wheel drive option, (altough theoretically the Premium is longitudinal engine capable) and that it would be overweight because Fiat had focused of quality and perceived quality and couldn't afford weight saving measures then. Despite that the Premium based cars are a very competent cars, if not quite what you would expect from an Alfa Romeo. But it definitely was a step in the right direction.

Now that Fiat seems to be out of trouble, look forward to proper Alfa Romeos and (hopefully) Lancias in the next generation of cars.
Let's hope so, eh?

I sat in the 159 a few weeks ago...absolutely stunning. It's on par with the BMW 3-Series as far as the interior is concerned - no doubt about it. YES, BUILD QUALITY INCLUDED!!! Everything's focussed around the driver whilst still being comfortable and refined for the passengers. The gearchange is excellent, position of the pedals equally so. everything falls to hand.

Hopefully I can afford one of these in the not-too-distant future. A beautiful car.