Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
Care to explain why ?
What crank shapre and firing order are you presuming ?

All else equal why has
\_/ got more weight located lower than --- ?

Why what make more specific questions?

I will guess that you want me to explain why I think a V12 is better balanced than a flat 6...

Well to start off a V12 has perfect primary and secondary balance and because it has 12 cylinders and the cylinder bank angle is normally 60 deg. Then it is smoother than an inline 6 delivering power pulses twice as often. Not to mention the fact that the crank see a constant torque output as opposed to seeing both a torque output and input.

Flat 6s are indeed very balanced and are balanced in primary and secondary balance. But because it has half the cylinders it wont be as smooth. The crank on a flat 6 see both torque input and output.

About the other question you asked:
Well think like this: the flat engine can't be mounted too low or the pistons will be too close to the ground. With a V engine the pistons are aimed up so you can mount the crankcase slightly lower (it isn't enough to give a V engine a lower CoG but it does reduce the advantage that Flat engines have) I didn't mean to say that more weight is mounted lower with a V (as you would assume that that meant a V engine has a lower CoG) I meant that the heavy parts of a V engine are mounted somewhat lower meaning that the difference in the heights of the CoGs isn't as much as you would think.