Thread: Big White, eh?

Big White, eh?

Last Christmas, from 19Dec06 thru 07Jan07 I had the good fortune to have a ski-ing holiday at the Canadian ski resort of Big White in British Columbia. Here are some of the pictures that I took, a fabulous holiday and great memories.
    #1. Trans-Canada Hwy through the Fraser Valley from Vancouver to Big White, which is about 60km from Kelowna.
    #2-5. Some pictures of the village area, the skyline showing some ski-lifts and some of the accomadation.
    #6. Tubing, sliding down the slope in rubber inner tubes! Great fun!
    I can't speak too highly of the friendliness of Canadians, they are just like Australians and we fitted right in. Thanks to fellow UCPers Egg_Nog and RobPorsche for their valuable advice on the route from Vancouver to Big White.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; but you can make a mighty fast pig." Carroll Shelby

Motorsport; the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

The scream of Vtec

Now for the snow shots...the base was about 1.6 to 1.8m with an average of 6 to 10 cm of snow every other night. For someone more accustomed to a hot and humid Christmas and New Year, it was certainly different and a hell of a lot of fun. Oh and I learnt how to ski...
    "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; but you can make a mighty fast pig." Carroll Shelby

The scream of Vtec

Some more..

The scream of Vtec

nice pics mark always wanted to go to some properly big snow fields
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    nice pics mark always wanted to go to some properly big snow fields
    Today, I just wanted to be somewhere tropical. Snow is fun when it is nice and warm outside. Today was like minus a bajillion. Then snow is not fun. Then snow is just a gleaming white (or dirty grey on the highways) reminder that you are trapped in 4 months of hell. I envy you Australians, with your "nice weather all year round". Damn, the cold sucks.

My dad used to have a time share up there, with a college buddy. So generally both fam's would go up there every pres. day weekend. Lots of fun, although the trip was painful as i was pretty yougn. By far the best place to ski in the NW though!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Today, I just wanted to be somewhere tropical. Snow is fun when it is nice and warm outside. Today was like minus a bajillion. Then snow is not fun. Then snow is just a gleaming white (or dirty grey on the highways) reminder that you are trapped in 4 months of hell. I envy you Australians, with your "nice weather all year round". Damn, the cold sucks.
    Funny you should say that you envy Australians, I spent a lot of time telling Canadians how much I envied them with their weather. That particular part of Canada, the Okanagan Valley, it stunningly beautiful in winter and I would like to see it in summer. You guys get all four seasons, the change of climate and colour etc. The part of Australia I am from we just don't get that, it is pretty much the same year round, which I would agree has its' advantages. I can imagine snow isn't a lot of fun when you have to go to school/work etc, in other words live your normal life, but from my perspective it was bloody fantastic! I see on the news that some parts of North America have been having very heavy snowfalls and it can't be much fun having to shift 3m or so of the stuff from your driveways and roofs etc day after day.
    But all of that said I am completely hooked on ski-ing now, and I am working on how to get back there, just trying to decide which family member I am going to sell into white slavery so I can afford it

The scream of Vtec

Quote Originally Posted by blackhonda View Post
    Funny you should say that you envy Australians, I spent a lot of time telling Canadians how much I envied them with their weather. That particular part of Canada, the Okanagan Valley, it stunningly beautiful in winter and I would like to see it in summer. You guys get all four seasons, the change of climate and colour etc. The part of Australia I am from we just don't get that, it is pretty much the same year round, which I would agree has its' advantages. I can imagine snow isn't a lot of fun when you have to go to school/work etc, in other words live your normal life, but from my perspective it was bloody fantastic! I see on the news that some parts of North America have been having very heavy snowfalls and it can't be much fun having to shift 3m or so of the stuff from your driveways and roofs etc day after day.
    But all of that said I am completely hooked on ski-ing now, and I am working on how to get back there, just trying to decide which family member I am going to sell into white slavery so I can afford it

Try hockey next time. That is a blast too. I have only been skiing about 3 times, but it was very fun - mind you, the "mountians" of Ontario are really just hills. It is also much warmer around Vancouver in the winter, so it ain't so bad as lake effect snow that we get here in Toronto. Not saying that southern Ontario is a cold part of Canada. It is one of the warmer parts actually, behind Vancouver.

Beautiful pictures, snow is just awsome!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information