Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Clivey's Corsa

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    The latest gen engines have a controlled oil injector as it's not needed when pottering about but significantly extends engine life at higher revs.
    do people retrofit them to older rotaries? i've always wanted a bridgeported 20B in something like a series 8 rx7, lol.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    do people retrofit them to older rotaries? i've always wanted a bridgeported 20B in something like a series 8 rx7, lol.
    Don't think so. Probably not worth it.
    if you are tuning an RX7 up for performance it's not going to be a major problem.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Clivey re the clutch. Check that it's disengaging properly - the cable is adjustable, might just be needing a tweak. Other options are wear in the linkages meaning it's not pushing the gear forks enough and a sticky clutch thrust bearing. Of course it might be the clutch
    Right, how do I go about checking this?

This problem's especially annoying as a feature of my driving style is that upon approaching a junction or obstacle for example, I like to change down early (not especially early, mind) so I can concentrate on where the car's supposed to be positioned, rather than which gear I'm going to. the car's currently stopping me from doing this.

One thing to mention is that the problem is intermittent, and occurs more when the car's cold. Would that affect your advice?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

not clear cut, the cold can affect the clutch operation for sure, but also as the gearbox oil is cold then it can be the synchro too. Equally the linkages, esp as many use nylon/steel bushes.

Does double de-clutching always work ?
    If yes ... then simple solution We all used to have to ddc when we started driving

Here's one to start with from the Haynes manual. The range is 126-132mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

If it happens more when cold you could check that there is enough fluid in the gearbox. Its something that sometimes gets missed out when its being serviced.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

not clear cut, the cold can affect the clutch operation for sure, but also as the gearbox oil is cold then it can be the synchro too. Equally the linkages, esp as many use nylon/steel bushes.
    I'm thinking it's probably something to do with the gearbox oil but it could also be the synchromesh...

Does double de-clutching always work ?
    If yes ... then simple solution We all used to have to ddc when we started driving
    ...I don't think it's the clutch as the clutch seems otherwise fine and DDC'ing doesn't make any difference. The problem occurs when you actually try to push the gearlever into the gates for either 1st or 2nd. It never occurs going up to 2nd, always down.

Here's one to start with from the Haynes manual. The range is 126-132mm.
    I'm staying at Sophie's this weekend so I'll have to wait until I get home (so I can access my garage) before I try to look at anything or do any under-bonnet stuff. I may well try that when I get home if I can figure it out.

I'm no mechanic and I'm not sure if I trust myself to start 'tinkering' under the bonnet, if you know what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
    If it happens more when cold you could check that there is enough fluid in the gearbox. Its something that sometimes gets missed out when its being serviced.
    This may well be the problem...what do I do about getting the dealer to sort it if it is?

Try wiggling it about in neutral before trying to engage 2nd from 3rd/4th/5th and 1st from wherever
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    This may well be the problem...what do I do about getting the dealer to sort it if it is?
    Its something a backstreet garage is more than equipped to do. Shouldn't cost more than £10, that is if they have to put fluid in.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Try wiggling it about in neutral before trying to engage 2nd from 3rd/4th/5th and 1st from wherever
    It doesn't make any difference, neither does DDC.

Most of the time I have to actually stop the car to put it in first. It's annoying in traffic when you want to change from 2nd to 1st and keep moving. You can force the car into first I guess but I'm not doing that because it feels as though it will damage the gearbox. I'm hoping it's just gearbox oil.

A friend has a similar problem with his slightly older 2003 "03-reg" Corsa 1.2i16v SXi. That also has a close ratio box, although from what he says, it's not got to the stage mine has despite higher mileage.

Hmmm, I'm confused now, that's for sure: The gearbox has gotten a whole lot better with the warmer weather and is a lot easier to change down to 1st & 2nd. Does that tally with what anyone is thinking?

I've had a couple of really nice drives in the Corsa recently and it leads me even more to think: Those who critisize the handling probably can't drive or are are just plain liars. I was following someone in a 106 down some country roads and despite trying his hardest, he couldn't increase the distance between us. I was on the brakes more than usual to keep a safe stopping distance between us.

On the bad side, a couple of weeks ago some utter cocksucker whacked the side of my car with their door, taking off paint and putting a small dent in the side of the car, behind the driver's door - if I decide to have it repaired by Chips Away etc, it'll probably cost quite a bit (read £100 plus).

What you're feeling with your gear box is probably normal I guess.. And just because of cold gearbox oil and you not daring to push the thing into gear with some force. When my clio is really really cold you have to help it alot as wel, especially if you're still rolling along at real slow speed and put it in first. But it does disappear when she's a bit warmer.

Don't try to push your car back to first in traffic all the time. You can go really slow in second with most cars. I only put it back to first when starting from standstill or when going reaaaalllly slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    What you're feeling with your gear box is probably normal I guess.. And just because of cold gearbox oil and you not daring to push the thing into gear with some force. When my clio is really really cold you have to help it alot as wel, especially if you're still rolling along at real slow speed and put it in first. But it does disappear when she's a bit warmer.
    So it's COLD gearbox oil? If that's it then I can rest easy, I just don't want to risk actual damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Don't try to push your car back to first in traffic all the time. You can go really slow in second with most cars. I only put it back to first when starting from standstill or when going reaaaalllly slow.
    That's my usual style of driving too, but 1st gear is sometimes necessary for pulling away at junctions etc. as I live in a hilly area.

I've had a couple of really nice drives in the Corsa recently and it leads me even more to think: Those who critisize the handling probably can't drive or are are just plain liars. I was following someone in a 106 down some country roads and despite trying his hardest, he couldn't increase the distance between us. I was on the brakes more than usual to keep a safe stopping distance between us.

On the bad side, a couple of weeks ago some utter cocksucker whacked the side of my car with their door, taking off paint and putting a small dent in the side of the car, behind the driver's door - if I decide to have it repaired by Chips Away etc, it'll probably cost quite a bit (read £100 plus).
    Firstly, maybe he was a crap driver/not pushing as hard as you thought/his car just isn't as powerful

Secondly, drive an old banger with faded paint, rusting arches and missing wheel trims and this never happens!
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Firstly, maybe he was a crap driver/not pushing as hard as you thought/his car just isn't as powerful
    That's what suprised me actually; despite the car being slightly modified (exhaust etc, nothing too bad or to affect the performance), it was actually driven well.

I noticed that my car had more to give in the corners though, he struggled with understeer a lot easier despite as far as I could tell, taking the correct line and braking + acceleration points. It's quite possible that his engine was less powerful, but he was using the whole rev range whereas I wasn't (I didn't want to become a permanent feature of his bootlid).

Secondly, drive an old banger with faded paint, rusting arches and missing wheel trims and this never happens!
    So true...although it's probably because you don't even notice / care about 'another' dent.

That's what suprised me actually; despite the car being slightly modified (exhaust etc, nothing too bad or to affect the performance), it was actually driven well.

I noticed that my car had more to give in the corners though, he struggled with understeer a lot easier despite as far as I could tell, taking the correct line and braking + acceleration points. It's quite possible that his engine was less powerful, but he was using the whole rev range whereas I wasn't (I didn't want to become a permanent feature of his bootlid).
    The difference in performance also might be in the tyres/grip.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information