Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall VXR8

Vauxhall VXR8

...or the Holden for brits.

Why can't we, continental europeans, have fun...?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh yes I LOVE YOU GM!

Another well-priced muscle car with an average interior and Neanderthal driving characteristics... gotta love 'em

The VE is hardly a neanderthal driving experience, as MSN and Cyco will attest.

You guys have been spoilt. getting aussie cars. it's better than you deserve
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    ...or the Holden for brits.
    It's better than that, that's not a Holden, it's a HSV. In this case, the Clubsport R8, 6ltr LS2 V8, 307kw, 6spd, massive AP Racing brakes, 275 rear tyres.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Great, but the rear spoiler has to go...
    Visca Catalunya!

You csn't buy one though, so don't worry about it!

And it IS Neanderthal compared to the more delicate pieces of machinery it is likely to be compared to. It's not a bad thing- it's brash, loud, and a bundle of fun. Think of the VXR8 as a primary colour, simple and designed to please, compared to the BMW M3- a secondary colour, a piece of technomachinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Great, but the rear spoiler has to go...
    It needs more stickers though!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The Commodore Calais V has been compared to some marvellous pieces of German Engineering (BMW 550i, Mercedes E430) equivalent cars in engine size and general features. the car trounced the BMW, and was only marginally behind the Mercedes.

All for 1/2 the price. Sounds like a bit of a bargain to me. and to cap it all off you don't have to cop jokes about it being a blunt instrument, because while it can do things like that, it's also far more capable.

10 bucks says TG take this thing round the Nurburgring

Mercedes-Benz E430?
    Visca Catalunya!

Might have been an E500. a Mercedes E with a V8 thats not an E63.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    You csn't buy one though, so don't worry about it!

And it IS Neanderthal compared to the more delicate pieces of machinery it is likely to be compared to. It's not a bad thing- it's brash, loud, and a bundle of fun. Think of the VXR8 as a primary colour, simple and designed to please, compared to the BMW M3- a secondary colour, a piece of technomachinery.
    I don't think it'll be compared with the M3. And only really patriotic Aussies would compare a VXR8 (or a HSV) here is the equal of a BMW M5, Audi RS6 or Mercedes E500 in pure outright terms. But as soon as value for money is added to the equation, the Holden looks pretty good. The VXR8 will be a good match with other cars in the same price or lower price brackets (Subaru WRX STi, Mits Evos, Golf R32), while being a value for money alternative to the high performance sedans.
    I haven't driven this version of the Holden - only a base six cylinder version you guys won't get. As IB4R mentioned, I can say that the chassis dynamics are very solid. Up to very high speeds. The six cylinder doesn't have the grunt to exploit the chassis like the V8s. The handling limits of the six cylinder Commodore are so high that when combined with the relative lack of grunt, the six-cylinder car is actually a little boring to drive on the road within normal speed limits. The only real issue I have with the Commodore dynamically is that the steering is too light for my tastes. But that's not a serious criticism. Most professional Aussie motoring journalists think the steering has just the right balance between lightness and feedback. I'm sure the V8s are better anyway.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The Commodore Calais V has been compared to some marvellous pieces of German Engineering (BMW 550i, Mercedes E430) equivalent cars in engine size and general features. the car trounced the BMW, and was only marginally behind the Mercedes.

All for 1/2 the price. Sounds like a bit of a bargain to me. and to cap it all off you don't have to cop jokes about it being a blunt instrument, because while it can do things like that, it's also far more capable.

The Omega was a fantastic piece of engineering, but because of the badge people were put off. Similar formula, but GM have learnt now- hence the lack of a slightly plusher model being available.

I'm not surprised that it trounced the BMW, as making the perfect car (the E39) was too much for them, so they raped it. Ther fact it came close to the Merc surprises me, but Merc's build quality of late may lay testament to that. And if it's an Aussie magazine, you can expect some margin of bias to come into it- no matter how professional they are. They do it in Britain with German cars, you know.

And on the subject of that- I don't know about the 'Ring, but it'll definitely get on the programme. We love cheap, fast speed. A shame there isn't much that's really cheap here.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post

Wheels magazine compared the Calais V with the BMW 550i and Mercedes E500 and said that the Calais V was better than the 550i regardless of cost and while not as good as the E500, it was much closer than it had any right to be.
    Motor magazine compared the HSV Senator with the Audi S6 and Mercedes E63 and thought that it compared favourably - though gave the nod to the E63.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 02-26-2007 at 05:29 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

^ I've got that article and shall scan it tomorrow
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Some facts:

-6.0-litre normally aspirated V8, 420bhp and 550Nm.
    -0-60 in 4"9 seconds.
    -Available with an automatic gearbox.
    -On sale in July, priced at £34,995.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information