Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just test drove...

Just test drove...

... the new Toyota Auris. It's really, really good. I went to the showroom and played with the test car first- weird handbrake, funky dash, comfy seats, excellent gearbox.

Then I asked for a test drive, expecting to be shown the door. The very cute sales girl asked me a few questions, and then we were away in the 2-litre diesel- TR model.

Bare stats.
    - 126bhp
    - 300NM of torque (anyone got the bare lb/ft figure?)
    - 0-60 takes 10.2 secs
    - Top speed about 126mph
    - Standard A/C
    - All electric windows
    - CD player
    - 6-speed gearbox
    - A million cubbyholes

Acceleration and tractability.

Well, as we know, bare acceleration stats do not do diesels justice- that's where the huge mountain of torque comes in. With 300NM, overtaking really is effortless- even in 6th. You just plant your foot to the floor, and *boom*- it shifts.

The only thing that frustrated me was the lack of revs to go through- I'm used to a petrol that happily zooms to 6,000rpm, and above 4,000 is where it gives it all. But on a diesel, it's best to stick between 2,000 and 3,000rpm for maximum effect- and economy, as it happens. Overtaking at 55mph in 5th gear, I was getting 50.5mpg. Cruising at 65mph in 6th, I was getting over 100mpg.

The acceleration is lovely. The shove in the lower back is most excellent, but I just needed to remember to shift earlier than normal to get the most out of it. The midrange is really where it shines- change to 3rd and floor it, and suddenly you find yourself up the exhaust pipe of someone who really didn't expect it. Overtaking, as mentioned, was a breeze. A very good car for the real world.

Economy.

I didn't drive it for long, but the raw material and stats I already had compounded what I suspected- it's insane. I got it down to 6.8mpg on the average readout when I floored it in second, but apart from that I stuck at about 87mpg. Consider that, driving the same way in a 1.1 206 I get 36mpg, I was mightily impressed. Also, the range left was astounding- 400 miles from just over half the tank. Toyota claim 51.4 average consumption.

Handling and fun.

It's a family hatchback, and it's a Toyota. Fun is never going to be high on the list. However, I decided to chance it, and the girl said we'd go down some entertaining roads. So we did. All the roads I love driving when I want to drive for the sake of it were on the test route. The chassis is very capable, and handled some quite extreme cornering. Of course, shooting out of corners using the torque to hand never got boring! So +2 on the fun front so far. Handling... the steering is very light, but it does give you some feedback. In comparison to a really entertaining car- the Mini Cooper S- it's much lighter and definitely not as communicative. But compared to the Ford Focus, I'd say it's more than worthy. Sure-footed and entertaining at times, but not for the enthusiast.

Comfort and space.

As a new car, it's likely to have a lot of creature comforts. You're not wrong if you assumed that. Sitting in the car is comfortable, but it has no sporting pretensions at all. You can't get the seat low enough, and the shape of the front of the car makes it feel very un-sporty. But as a family car, it really does work. The flat floor in the rear now makes it easier for Jonathan to kick his little sister, Maddie, on a trip down to Cornwall, and he can also wreak havoc with the electric windows- until Dad turns them off. There are more cubbyholes than you can shake a stick at (3 in the passenger side of the dashboard alone), and the gearlever is perfectly positioned- like the last-gen Honda Civic and, to some extent, WRC and BTCC cars. The seats are wonderfully supportive and comfortable, but the headrests could do with softening up. CD player as standard- and hell, it can kick out some serious sound! The A/C works very well, going from ice-cold to bloody-hot at the twist of a knob, with a useful 'ambient' setting. Electric everything (great for when you crash into a river...), comfy everything (headrests aside), and a decent amount of space in the rear.

Styling and aesthetics.

It's like a fat Yaris, everyone says. They're not wrong. It's a good-looking car, but the rear is slightly frumpy. And unless you get it in black T180 spec, you can't look like you have any sporting ability. As a family car, however, it really works. It's attractive, and well thought-out. Alloys as standard from T3-upwards, too. Don't get it in Ixion Blue. The interior is a very nice place to be, with a slightly futuristic look, and dials in front of you- which makes a nice change from the 'let's put the dials in the middle!' attitude that has been quite popular of late...

Overall...

I really liked this car. The styling appealed to me (in black, and with hot wheels), and the interior was appealing too. The drive really impressed me- it's extremely refined and bloody quick when you want it to be. It's a brilliant family car, and can be a good sporting car if you ask it nicely. It's secure, easy to drive, and overall a very sound new car- definitely ahead of the Focus.

I've seen a number of grey Auris Diesels around town with the local Toyota dealers crap all over them, they look pretty good and from what I've seen on the adverts the interiors seem pretty good. Toyota's feel fairly well put together even if the materials feel a little cheap from a recent experience in a friends Mum's 05 Verso Diesel. Auris's are kinda VW Golf sized right? I might try get my parents to consider looking at them, provided I'd be able to fit in the back, and so far, the Golf & Polo have been the only ones enabling me to do so. Fingers crossed for the Auris!

Haven't seen the handbrake, is it similar to that cool one on the Renault Megane and Ford S-Max?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Glad you liked it, but the problem is see with it is the boringness of it. Being a family car out and out performance and handling aren't the priority, and other attibutes like space and style become more important.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's not that bad behind the wheel, Albert- like I said, it has it's moments!

However, I'm gunna go test-drive the new Civic CDTi too, see how that compares.

And Tom- not the same as the Megane, it's just weird-looking! Works the same, looks funny. Check out Toyota's website.

So you got her number?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    It's not that bad behind the wheel, Albert- like I said, it has it's moments!
    Actually I wasn't critising it for being a bad handler, quite the contrary. What I said is that in a family hatchback performance and handling aren't that important, whereas style and space (amongst others) are. That's why I'd rather buy a Citroen C4 even if it is slower and handles worse than the Toyota.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    So you got her number?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Actually I wasn't critising it for being a bad handler, quite the contrary. What I said is that in a family hatchback performance and handling aren't that important, whereas style and space (amongst others) are. That's why I'd rather buy a Citroen C4 even if it is slower and handles worse than the Toyota.
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. It's 'nice' styling, but not 'striking'. I prefer the C4 and Civic in that respect, and it's also why I'd have an Astra over a Focus. Unless it's an ST in orange.

Try one, though. I think you'd like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Baddabang
    So you got her number?

Yes.
    That's a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    That's a lie.
    *sigh* She just called me. So nerr!

*sigh* She just called me. So nerr!
    I call shenanigans.

The auris is getting some good reviews. i dont think its breaking out of the character the previous corolla set though...however i havent driven one...i'll leave the judging to iwars6..cough..i mean jeremy clakson! So what next, down to the bmw showroom?

hmmm...100mpg...dont like those trend computers. They do some funny time derivitive standard deviation stuff to produce nonsense figures.

something not mentioned. your version had a torsion beam (non-independant) rear suspension unlike the warm hatch version which will have multi-link, so not really up there with the Focus and Golf yet in terms of ride quality/handling combination.....so ive heard

nice report, Would you ever (in the right circumstance) buy one over the competitorrs though?
    autozine.org

Rocke- no, she really did!

And jed- yeah, it's quite similar, but the engines, refinement and overall comfort (as well as dimensions!) have increased in their respective categories- refinement, power, comfort rating, millimetres, etc.

It handled very well from where I was sitting- try one for yourself! No stealing Maria, though- mines

I probably would have this quite high in the list if I wanted to do big motorway miles, but if it was a question of fun and I still wanted diesel, I'd take either a SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDi or a Vauxhall Astra SRi diesel.

Hey Sam. Just thought i would post for once.
    I really like the looks of this Toyota, once you've bought it you can drive up and see me. then give me a lift back to this "Best pub in Britain" that you told me about! Do you still work there?
    Anyway, back on topic. I really liked the look of the interior from what i have seen on adverts and pictures on the net. Good place to be huh? I spose thats good.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Vauxhall Astra SRi diesel.
    what about the 888? more torque steer than a alfa 147 and an vectra vxr put together.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    what about the 888? more torque steer than a alfa 147 and an vectra vxr put together.
    That's why it wouldn't be much fun...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information