Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: General Photography Competition #82

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    Learn. People with P&S cameras could say the same thing about DSLRs owners.
    How will he learn if noone teaches it him ?

These rules will create a big gap between the people that are good in Photoshop and those that are not I think... The way it is is fine enough for me ! I still have the same views on it as when i created comp #1 !

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    Learn. People with P&S cameras could say the same thing about DSLRs owners.
    Ok, lets start the schooling. What is P&S and DSLR?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

P&S

DSLR

I'm assuming P&S is Point and Shoot?

yep. basically P+S is exactly what it says on the tin. quick shots, easy to use. not much in terms of manual use. No real point in there being any more than 5mp because its basically used for family use, or quick shots. So your rarely going to be printing large scale prints from a P+S.

DSLR, in short, is a manual camera, you can adjust and determine every aspect of the shot before you take it, and select any type of lens you want in order to gain different types of shots. Higher MP if you want larger prints, mostly used by people in the industry. Mid-range DSLRs are for enthusiasts, and entry level DSLRs are for people who find P+S cameras restrictive, but dont want the full responsibility of a real DSLR. The same goes for Prosumer cameras. A fast growing category of cameras because they appeal to enthusiast photographers who like to have creative control of their camera's settings, but save money at the same time. The downside is that you cannot change the lens.
    Last edited by Cotterik; 03-19-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post

The same goes for Prosumer cameras. A fast growing category of cameras because they appeal to enthusiast photographers who like to have creative control of their camera's settings, but save money at the same time. The downside is that you cannot change the lens.
    Hmm like mine, pretty damn good camera for the price

Maybe I'll get a DSLR eventually.

Another downside to prosumer and consumer cameras is the ridiculous amounts of noise.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

yep. basically P+S is exactly what it says on the tin. quick shots, easy to use. not much in terms of manual use. No real point in there being any more than 5mp because its basically used for family use, or quick shots. So your rarely going to be printing large scale prints from a P+S.
    Many P&S cameras have manual control, and 5mp is more than enough for an A4 sized print. The reason you wouldn't want more than 5mp in a P&S is because the sensors are so small that the image quality suffers and you can't use high ISO.

DSLR, in short, is a manual camera, you can adjust and determine every aspect of the shot before you take it, and select any type of lens you want in order to gain different types of shots. Higher MP if you want larger prints, mostly used by people in the industry.
    An SLR is not a manual camera, it is a Single Lens Reflex camera
    , meaning that is 1 lens, and a reflex mirror, meaning the mirror that reflects the image into the viewfinder automatically moves up when you take a shot and returns afterwards, the D in DSLR merely standing for Digital.

Mid-range DSLRs are for enthusiasts, and entry level DSLRs are for people who find P+S cameras restrictive, but dont want the full responsibility of a real DSLR.
    What is a "real" DSLR? What "responsibility" does a 1DsmkII carry over say a D50?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

why turn this into an argument..pfft..you forget that I am trying to explain it to somebody that doesnt know anything about photography. Im not trying give every real and true definition with precise detail. I'm translating it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Many P&S cameras have manual control, and 5mp is more than enough for an A4 sized print. The reason you wouldn't want more than 5mp in a P&S is because the sensors are so small that the image quality suffers and you can't use high ISO.
    Ofcourse P+S have manual control. But its very minimal, P+S cameras are made to 'P+S'. Yes i know about the sensor but that is completely off subject here. If you want bigger prints, you buy a more capable camera. Not a P+S.

An SLR is not a manual camera, it is a Single Lens Reflex camera
    , meaning that is 1 lens, and a reflex mirror, meaning the mirror that reflects the image into the viewfinder automatically moves up when you take a shot and returns afterwards, the D in DSLR merely standing for Digital.
    Again, you act like I dont know this. I've been using Slrs for over 5 years now. Look up the term 'manual'. A manual object or device is something that you yourself control. This is the difference between an slr and a P+S. With an slr you have full control over the camera. If you want to. With a P+S you can never have full manual control. Again I dont need to explain this to you as you did not need to explain this to me, however considering who I am explaining this too, its a little different.

What is a "real" DSLR? What "responsibility" does a 1DsmkII carry over say a D50?
    Thats quite obvious. Features. What you pay for. Look them up. a 1DsmkII gives you considerably higher levels of features than lower-level DSLRs.
    When i quoted 'real' slr, admittely i shouldve reworded, however that really doesnt matter here. Sledgehammer would know what I meant by that. Im not trying to explain the world of photography to Kimura Takuya here. Nor am i trying to prove my knowledge of photography. I spelt it out for him. Understand that.
    Last edited by Cotterik; 03-19-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Speaking of that. SPH you have any B&W methods better than channel mixer?
    nope, channel mixer is what I use. CS3 aparently has a pretty nifty b/w converter that makes it a lot more simple, but im not planning to upgrade any time soon.

no automatic settings, for starters. large size and weight and expense for a few more.

cotterik knows his shit, and was trying to explain in layman's terms. its not important to a beginner what the letters D S L and R stand for, but what it means in terms of taking a picture.

im glad you added some more important information, thats all well and good, but try not to do it so rudely.

as far as people who know how to use photoshop gaining an unfair advantage, I maintain that photoshop doesnt produce winning photographs. that is the reward for appealing composition and moving subject matter, not technical prowess.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

why turn this into an argument..pfft..you forget that I am trying to explain it to somebody that doesnt know anything about photography. Im not trying give every real and true definition with precise detail. I'm translating it.
    I'm not trying to turn it into a an argument, I'm giving facts.

Again, you act like I dont know this. I've been using Slrs for over 5 years now. Look up the term 'manual'. A manual object or device is something that you yourself control. This is the difference between an slr and a P+S. With an slr you have full control over the camera. If you want to. With a P+S you can never have full manual control. Again I dont need to explain this to you as you did not need to explain this to me, however considering who I am explaining this too, its a little different.
    Manual control is manual control. There's plenty of P&S cameras with full manual exposure control and manual focus. The only thing they lack is manual zoom, I can't think off the top of my head of any P&S cameras with manual zoom control on the lens.

In general terms of actually taking a photo there's really little difference between a good quality high end P&S type camera and a DSLR. All you'll have to do without is, as i said, higher ISO, manual zoom control on the lens, less shutter lag and better flash capabilities. After that, you won't have as good a quality image file as from a DSLR. The advantages of an SLR over a P&S camera are manual zoom, an optical viewfinder, faster frame rate and bigger, faster buffer (on digital,) faster autofocus and better flash capability. The better the SLR, the better these features are. For example, my Pentax *ist DS will only shoot 2.5fps for 5 frames, while a 1D mk2N will shoot at like 8fps for ~20 frames IIRC.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Another downside to prosumer and consumer cameras is the ridiculous amounts of noise.
    So far mine is fine, bit of trouble with one colour accent shot I did, but I suck at photography so the noise was probably caused by the wrong settings.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    So far mine is fine, bit of trouble with one colour accent shot I did, but I suck at photography so the noise was probably caused by the wrong settings.
    I own a Fuji S5600 and with the right settings you can take noise free pictures.

I have fixed the ISO at 64 and rarely need to change it. Programme's like Noise Ninja help a lot too if you exceeded the ISO400...

Try and go back there and change your settings. Play around a bit with them and see for yourself what the result is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Ok, lets start the schooling. What is P&S and DSLR?
    This page will help a lot, just remembered it: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/
    – Hunter Thompson

Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    John, why so many phones dude!? lol, you really should read 'Cell' by Stephen King!
    Waugh, I collect mobile/cell phones. What happens in "Cell" by Stephen King?
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Thread Information