Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Photography Competition #82

cropping is definately allowed.

why are people always trying to limit what we can do? i understand the intention but it doesnt make sense.

does anyone else think that anything that can be done in-camera should be allowed? this means contrast, saturation, whitebalance, can be adjusted. i can set a custom picture style on my camera that takes a picture with extremely high contrast and saturation and many other things, but i would rather not bind myself into something before i see what i have to work with. the point should just be that you cant add stuff to the picture that isnt there.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari View Post
    cropping is definately allowed.

why are people always trying to limit what we can do? i understand the intention but it doesnt make sense.

does anyone else think that anything that can be done in-camera should be allowed? this means contrast, saturation, whitebalance, can be adjusted. i can set a custom picture style on my camera that takes a picture with extremely high contrast and saturation and many other things, but i would rather not bind myself into something before i see what i have to work with. the point should just be that you cant add stuff to the picture that isnt there.
    I think anything done in camera is fine. It's the use of photoshop and other programs that are a problem. However I don't think anyone here has used photoshop in a competition...

i think theres an 'effective' line where photoshop gives an advantage but for example with my new fantasy portraits on my flickr gallery, thats pretty obvious that its been heavily edited, but for original photography i dont think that photoshop should be frowned at. its an integral part of modern photography and i feel that sometimes this competition is lowered to an amateur level just to allow inexperienced photographers to enter. OK thats fair enough, but then again it lowers the standard. A neverending debate.

This debate never ends. IMO the only things that should be allowed are cropping, contrast/saturation/B&W conversion.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I think anything done in camera is fine. It's the use of photoshop and other programs that are a problem. However I don't think anyone here has used photoshop in a competition...
    yes anything that is done in camera is already allowed, i think all these features should be allowed to be applied in photoshop too. and yes, people entering the competitions have used photoshop on their pictures, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    This debate never ends. IMO the only things that should be allowed are cropping, contrast/saturation/B&W conversion.
    thats a start, can we make this the new rule? i think exposure tweaks too but im fine with just cropping contrast/sat and b/w conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari View Post
    thats a start, can we make this the new rule? i think exposure tweaks too but im fine with just cropping contrast/sat and b/w conversions.

Why not...

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    i think theres an 'effective' line where photoshop gives an advantage but for example with my new fantasy portraits on my flickr gallery, thats pretty obvious that its been heavily edited, but for original photography i dont think that photoshop should be frowned at. its an integral part of modern photography and i feel that sometimes this competition is lowered to an amateur level just to allow inexperienced photographers to enter. OK thats fair enough, but then again it lowers the standard. A neverending debate.
    this problem is easily solved. run another competition where any editing is allowed.

I seem to remember this has been tried before and died a quick death due to lack of interest, which maybe shows what most people think about it...
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree View Post
    this problem is easily solved. run another competition where any editing is allowed.

I seem to remember this has been tried before and died a quick death due to lack of interest, which maybe shows what most people think about it...
    It only shows that people can't be bothered wasting time with several competitions for pretty much the same thing.
    My other signature has a V12

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117 View Post
    Why not...
    So is that a yes?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    So is that a yes?
    Yes. You compose the rule and I add it next week.

how bout

"editing is allowed provided it does not add/subtract important pieces of the picture. this includes but is not limited to adjusting exposure, saturation and contrast, cropping, white balance adjustment, and dust spot removal. photoshop effects that are totally computer generated are not allowed."

sounds good to me.

how about dodge/burn, too?
    My other signature has a V12

"editing is allowed provided it does not add/subtract important pieces of the picture. this includes but is not limited to adjusting exposure, saturation and contrast, cropping, white balance adjustment, dodging and burning and dust spot removal. photoshop effects that are totally computer generated are not allowed."

For both auto and general?

"The only editing allowed for any photos entered in the Automotive or General photography competition will be mild adjustments in Contrast, Saturation, Cropping and Black & White conversions through any method."

Thread Information