Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I felt like spending a bit of cash..

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks

I felt like spending a bit of cash..

It's been a while since i spent any money buying myself something i liked so I was looking around online and had to buy this system... Anyone have any experience with them, I've only heard good things so far and at 45% off i figured it was a steal. I even looked on ebay and couldn't find a comparable deal.

Logitech 5.1 Surround Speaker System (X-540)

Also another question I wanted to run it off my laptop, will i need a sound card? and do sound cards make a significant enough difference to justify getting one, also are they readily avalable and easy to install in laptops?
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

They're are decent speakers, all depends on what purpose you are using them. My cousin is a half serious sound concious person himself and bought the THX approved 5.1 setup and they are astounding quality in say, a 8 x 8m room. The bass is terrific and treble is crisp and full. One complain is the price of accessories - namely speaker stands etc etc. Saying that, if you are using these for general laptop / pc use then go ahead, but maybe a 2.1 setup? The price looks right though.

To your second point, yes, you will need to have a sound card that suppors a 5 speaker setup. I remember I bought a cheapo 5.1 and noticed my old pc could never support it. Sound cards do make a significant difference - at least in my books. Having an older Audigy and comparing it to the one the motherboard supplied gave me a good laugh. I remember distinctly the bass being so much more noticeable and everything from the lows to highs being richer.

Do yourself a favor and do a simple google search for x-540 vs... There are people all around the world compaing things and it can give you some idea's on alternatives, prices, options for sound cars and alot more. Hope this helps.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=27063

we already have a thread for these types of things.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I like your speakers a lot. when I got some similar ones (cheaper creative set-up) i instantly bought a creative audiogy 2 zs with it, knowing i'd need it. I haven't regretted that and unlike a graphics card it never really needs upgraded.

I have realised however these are PC speakers and would rather have a decent amp and shelf speakers for better overall sound. Someone I know well (a hi-fi buff) described this kind of speaker (subwoofer and satelites) as hammers hitting marshmallows..(lots of power and poor diaphrams/cones).
    autozine.org

i have the previous model to this, same speakers, but packaging is bit dofferent. the sound is really good, although the bass setup for low volume is often way too much for high volume. i havent had to play with the EQ to get the sound good either. only real problem i had was the rear speakers wires are too short, but havent cared enough to get extensions.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

That's sweet, I believe that one of my old computer nerd friends from school had that very system. It's brilliant. The bass was insane, and the sound quality was sharp as a knife.

i'd go for a simpler Klipsih or high end creative or logitech setup rather then a cheap 5.1 sound cards help a lot. BOSE Triports do the trick too
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Bose = overpriced junk.

We demo the Klipsch 2.1 setup at work, and it will play loud and clear enough that you can hear it on the other side of the store.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I happen to like Bose. I have a pair of their over-ear TriPorts, and they're utterly divine. The Companion 3 speakers Mum has are also wicked-bad- but my Harmon Kardons that she gave to me sound better!

However, the Bose In-Ear TriPorts are awful. £70 and they broke, as well as having crap sound quality compared to the Sony MX929383094809810§9dsivdfijg023948 (I think that's the model number) ones that were £30.

naim audio or sennheiser are what I go for. nothing less.

Sennheiser is quality. And then some.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Alrite well thx for the i nfo about needing a sound card..but they readily availalble for laptops??

Edit: found some exernal 5.1 and 7.1 sound cards, anyone know how these are comparable to internals, are they essentially the same? Forgive my ignorance..
    Last edited by bmwpower; 03-17-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Laptops are harder to buy internal parts for because of how tightly and specifically they're packaged. Practically any card will fit in a desktop however. I may be wrong but I have a feeling you will have trouble finding good internal sound cards for laptops.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    I happen to like Bose. I have a pair of their over-ear TriPorts, and they're utterly divine. The Companion 3 speakers Mum has are also wicked-bad- but my Harmon Kardons that she gave to me sound better!

However, the Bose In-Ear TriPorts are awful. £70 and they broke, as well as having crap sound quality compared to the Sony MX929383094809810§9dsivdfijg023948 (I think that's the model number) ones that were £30.
    Bose does make good headphones and home speakers, but the Companion series for computers are really junks. My bro felt like trying them out so he bought Companion 3 Series-II and the treble was just horrifying, he returned them for the Klipsch 2.1 and it was much better.

On topic: honestly I wouldn't buy those 5.1 speakers, 5.1 from Logitech are only good when you get Z-5300e or above, you might as well get some good 2.1 (like the Klipsch, but they're quite big) if you want low-end 5.1. For a laptop you might wanna look into Creative Xmod external sound card.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Coincedence, I tried a pair of bose trip port, after trying the Epytomic ER6-i I can substantiate the "Bose = overpriced junk" I know they aren't really comparable to the Epytomics because of thier different uses, but for an ipod usage in ear phone compared to a computer headphone, the differences in isolation and sound quality is amazing..
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Thread Information