Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traction Control Outlawed from 2008

Traction Control Outlawed from 2008

The FIA announced today that from 2008 onwards traction control sytems will be banned in Formula One. The use of traction control has been a topic of hot debate amongst F1 teams and fans in recent years. Less electronic driver aids and more driver skill have been the things F1 fans have been crying out for in recent years. In the past the problem has been that the electronics have been so sophisticated it has been hard for the FIA to have any control over the systems the teams use. This was the reasoning behind the introduction of Traction Control in 2001, the FIA simply couldn't tell who was bending the rules and who wasn't. From 2008 all teams will use control ECUs, which should make policing the rule much easier.

Other regulations that were announced today are somewhat less dramatic. Grooved tyres will remain, not a return to full slicks as had been mooted in the past. Also minimum weight will remain the same at 605kg. The cars will also now be reduced in maximum width by 200mm.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Good news in my opinion.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hopefully this will increase the chance of passing. More passing I think should be a main goal for the FIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Hopefully this will increase the chance of passing. More passing I think should be a main goal for the FIA.
    I don't think those regulations will affect overtaking that much since it has to do more with aerodinamics than anything else.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well in theory, a lack of traction control will make corners slower and also make them harder to take - a difference in skill levels and the speed at which the corner is taken could allow for more passing in the corners.

Sure, the aero is far more important still.

Maybe now there will be a return to some of that old drifitng through the corners, although probably a lot less dramatic because the advances in aeros will keep the cars pretty firmly planted.

Why did they change again the TC rules?

Only small children change their opinions that often. What is the rationale behind all these decisions?

TC is allowed because they can't stop teams from using it and the next thing you know they ban it because it "improves the spectacle".
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

This is a lot better than the 1 set of tires per race rule.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Why did they change again the TC rules?

Only small children change their opinions that often. What is the rationale behind all these decisions?

TC is allowed because they can't stop teams from using it and the next thing you know they ban it because it "improves the spectacle".
    As I inferred earlier, in the late 90s and early 00s before traction control was legalised the electronic management systems of the top teams were very advanced and it became hard for the FIA to determine who was cheating and who wasn't. So in the interest of fairness they let all teams use traction and launch control systems. In 2008 and beyond they'll be using FIA control ECU's which the race stewards will have full access too, so it'll be very difficult for the teams to cheat the rules.

It's not as if the FIA thought it would be a great idea sporting-wise to legalise TC back in 2001. It was seen as a necessary evil because rumours were rife that the top teams were cheating the rules which was damaging the sport's reputation, and damaging the competition as the smaller teams couldn't keep up with the technology developments.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Any word yet about possibly changing back to manual clutches with a third pedal and all like in the old days?

I think it's turn for the better. Less mechanical things to go wrong - and more weight put on the drivers' shoulders.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

I think its good because you can see really what the drivers can do but I also think that its bad because F1 technology development has helped a lot in the development for normal production cars so it would be nice to have some tech so production cars keep advancing
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by hec16 View Post
    I think its good because you can see really what the drivers can do but I also think that its bad because F1 technology development has helped a lot in the development for normal production cars so it would be nice to have some tech so production cars keep advancing
    Exactly what I was thinking. Advancement of the technology on road going cars. I guess they will have to find other ways to develop it.

Good point is, the show will be more interesting and as you all said the drivers will have to adjust their driving. It's also, I believe, a part of the FIA plan to slow down F1.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Any word yet about possibly changing back to manual clutches with a third pedal and all like in the old days?
    Absolutely not, i heard some people musing about it but the FIA said it will never happen...

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    This is a lot better than the 1 set of tires per race rule.
    That rule was absurd.

Well next season should be interesting hopefully. But then again all the seasons have been interesting
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Thread Information