Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First R8 Written Off

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    ie: audi 4.2 V8 is based on its old straight 5??
    I'm not sure really, I think design wise yes.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Really? How did you work that out? Straight 5 to V8...kind of a big difference in my eyes.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

It's not.

The old V8 engine was first used in the Audi V8 flagship saloon. This engine basically consisted in two 4 cylinder Golf GTI cylinder block mated together to create a 3562cc (originally 250bhp) normally aspirated V8 which was later enlarged to 4172cc (originally 280, later up to 340bhp). Eventually it was also available in 3697cc form developing 280bhp.

This was superseeded by a modified engine, which was shorter in order to fit under the A4's bonnet to create the S4. This displaced 4163cc and had 344bhp. Over the years it has received direct fuel injection and other enhancements to make the current line of FSI V8's in either 350bhp or 420bhp states of tune. The Lamborghini V10 is derived from this engine, and in it's turn the 2.5-litre five cylinder engine used by Volkswagen US in the Golf and the Jetta is losely based in the Lambo unit.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    Really? How did you work that out? Straight 5 to V8...kind of a big difference in my eyes.
    Ferrers post i think is spot on ^. In theory however you could transfer the design work of any engine to another engine of different configeration. E.g rover k series i4 to v6 - they re-used the combustion chamber and valvetrain assembly, things that are independent of configuration
    autozine.org

Excellent work Ferrer, that clears things up perfectly. Did you know all that off the top of your head?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Agreed. I do sniff it at jediali. Take that!
    i sniff at the continental because its a well engineered car thats boring, unlike the arnage which is like a steaming battleship, but exciting. second to that i sniff at it because its the chelsea players company car, then i sniff at it because a phaeton is objectively a better car.
    Last edited by jediali; 04-10-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    autozine.org

Ferrers post i think is spot on ^. In theory however you could transfer the design work of any engine to another engine of different configeration. E.g rover k series i4 to v6 - they re-used the combustion chamber and valvetrain assembly, things that are independent of configuration
    I figured that part out. I just thought maybe he was talking about configuration wise, so I asked him for an explanation lol

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Excellent work Ferrer, that clears things up perfectly. Did you know all that off the top of your head?!
    Not exactly. I knew the basic info, checked some details... et voila.

By the way, I wouldn't be suprised if the 90º V6 family of engines was also based on the seminal V8.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    I figured that part out. I just thought maybe he was talking about configuration wise, so I asked him for an explanation lol
    no problem, designing a new crankshaft and block is probably quite feasable and better than designing a whole new engine.
    autozine.org

We could listen to the video to figure out what's under the hood....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mS2J...he%2Dflames%2F
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

The Winding Road magazine reported as RS8, not an R8.

Look at the pics, it had a bigger air intake that bulges out instead of R8's. Hence this is confirmed to be the 5.2 V10 engine RS8 derived from Gallardo.

The larger intake makes more sense than that carbonfibre crap IMO.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Yeah, I thought it a bit confusing... I know that Lamborghini's V10 is essentially Audi's 4.2-V8 with 2 extra cylinders but when I went to double check this on Wikipedia, it told me that Lamborghini's V10 is based on the design on the old I5 which totally blew me.

Motion & Emotion

Yeah, I thought it a bit confusing... I know that Lamborghini's V10 is essentially Audi's 4.2-V8 with 2 extra cylinders but when I went to double check this on Wikipedia, it told me that Lamborghini's V10 is based on the design on the old I5 which totally blew me.
    and we all know wiki is reliable! on the subject anyone seen wikimapia? its google satelite maps with discussion.
    autozine.org

and we all know wiki is reliable! on the subject anyone seen wikimapia? its google satelite maps with discussion.
    What a name...

Motion & Emotion

Wikipedia, my reference for absolutely anything. I am now a qualified quantum physicist.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information