Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Interests

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    We Cadillac owners are spoiled by the Cadillac ride- completely isolating the driver and passengers from the road.
    I personally think a good car is engineered when it can be communicative and comfortable. It was this requirement that cause the independent rear suspension revolution in family hatches started by focus mk1. Just to be isolated form the NVH doesn't mean your isolated from the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Some people like it. I can understand it, I too like a comfortable ride.
    Absolutely! I'm sure the mini strikes an excellent balance. In fact if you lost that excellent steering feel and pedal feel you/d certainly miss it!
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Absolutely! I'm sure the mini strikes an excellent balance. In fact if you lost that excellent steering feel and pedal feel you/d certainly miss it!
    I certainly love the steering feel of the Mini as the pedal feel too, even if the clutch is a tad heavy. The ride is definitely firm, and altough this provides excellent handling I sometimes wish it was a little softer when I just want to cruise.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

nota, though, was making an unfair comparison in acceleration of the Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 (a mid-sized, 4,000-lb car) to a Cadillac Fleetwood (a full-sized, 5,000-lb car).
    Wrong .. again! I was not the first to mention either Mercedes OR Cadillac in this thread

And speaking of 'unfair' comparisons it was you who was the one making inane and unrealistic comparisons of a 6.3 Benz against every sort of US muscle or drag car .. before I even mentioned the word Mercedes

There was Fleet with Mercedes .. vs a drag-spec 427 Chevrolet Biscayne (Fleet post 277)
    Who can forget Fleet serving up that Merc .. vs a 1962 Pontiac 'Super Stock' drag car (Fleet post # 284)

.. then #291 .. #294 .. #298 .. #310 ..

In fact it was you in post #306 who was the first to mention the words 'Mercedes' and 'Cadillac' within the one post!!

Followed by this quote below where you actually introduce the thread comparison between that model Benz .. and your very own car!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 post # 315 View Post
    Incidentally, that 15.1 sec @ 90 mph 1/4 mile for the Mercedes... that should be just about what my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood will do when I do some mild modifications to it.
    Then on and on it goes. So don't bullshit about it because you clearly die by your own sword through your very own words

I now realise how difficult it is for you Fleet 500 to not deliberately and habitually post up distortions, distractions and outright falsehoods.
    But try that stuff out to my detriment and you won't escape scrutiny and exposure from me for your cheap twerpish low grade antics

^ God post, right there.

I personally think a good car is engineered when it can be communicative and comfortable. It was this requirement that cause the independent rear suspension revolution in family hatches started by focus mk1. Just to be isolated form the NVH doesn't mean your isolated from the road.
    Not so much renown for isolating NHV but nevertheles the redoubtable Morris Nomad and Austin Maxi FWD family hatchbacks featured a very effective IRS back in the 1960s and long predated the Ford Focus ...

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Not so much renown for isolating NHV but nevertheles the redoubtable Morris Nomad and Austin Maxi FWD family hatchbacks featured a very effective IRS back in the 1960s and long predated the Ford Focus ...
    Yes your right, my limited knowledge was reffering to to the focus really raising the game against the golf etc in the midst of the standard economy manufacture torsion beam rear suspension of the 90s,

edit: respect to you concerning that last past! I don't think fleet is as old as he says and his comparison posts are woefully inbalanced both in the cars he describes and the criteria being discussed. Sorry but its the way i feel.
    Last edited by jediali; 05-03-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    autozine.org

Yes your right, my limited knowledge was reffering to to the focus really raising the game against the golf etc in the midst of the standard economy manufacture torsion beam rear suspension of the 90s,
    No worries

For those interested this is one of the few sites devoted to Morris Nomads, that of course featured BMC's cleverly interconnected Hydrolastic all-independant suspension system - aka hydrospastic when they broke down

http://www.elevenhundred.com/morris1500/history.php

And a comparison between Austin Maxi and the terrific Renault 16 (84 vs 87 bhp) a reminder of what must be one of the original precursors to the modern family hatchback genre - cant recall if the Reno used a twist beam?

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?rtmaxir16f.htm

Wrong .. again! I was not the first to mention either Mercedes OR Cadillac in this thread

And speaking of 'unfair' comparisons it was you who was the one making inane and unrealistic comparisons of a 6.3 Benz against every sort of US muscle or drag car .. before I even mentioned the word Mercedes

There was Fleet with Mercedes .. vs a drag-spec 427 Chevrolet Biscayne (Fleet post 277)
    Who can forget Fleet serving up that Merc .. vs a 1962 Pontiac 'Super Stock' drag car (Fleet post # 284)

.. then #291 .. #294 .. #298 .. #310 ..

In fact it was you in post #306 who was the first to mention the words 'Mercedes' and 'Cadillac' within the one post!!

Followed by this quote below where you actually introduce the thread comparison between that model Benz .. and your very own car!

Then on and on it goes. So don't bullshit about it because you clearly die by your own sword through your very own words
    I didn't say you started the Cadillac VS Mercedes subject. I was referring to when you said that the Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3 could accelerate to 60 mph about 3 secs faster than a '69 Cadillac (and I pointed out you were comparing a mid-sized, 4,000-lb car with a full-sized, 5,000-lb car).

And I posted the specs of the full-sized Chevy, Pontiac, etc because you seemed to think that the 6.3 Mercedes had "unbeatable" accleration and top speed compared to full-sized American cars. Or even American muscle cars which was included in that chart Ferrer posted.

I now realise how difficult it is for you Fleet 500 to not deliberately and habitually post up distortions, distractions and outright falsehoods.
    But try that stuff out to my detriment and you won't escape scrutiny and exposure from me for your cheap twerpish low grade antics
    You really should calm down, bud. I've been debating with Ferrer and he doesn't get even 1/10th as high-strung as you get.
    And I see you are again attacking a poster instead of debating.
    Again, c-a-l-m d-o-w-n, nota! No need to get mad; this is just a message board! BTW, what were my "outright falsehoods?" Lol.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 05-03-2007 at 06:54 PM.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    ^ God post, right there.
    Yeah, if you like to see a lot of ranting and raving and crying!
    "Oh, Fleet insulted my dear Mercedes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    How's that a good thing?
    It is in a luxury car. As someone once said, "I don't see why people would want to feel the bumps in a road."
    In a sports or muscle car, the ride is of course less important.

We Cadillac owners are spoiled by the Cadillac ride- completely isolating the driver and passengers from the road.
    interesting, so when the road gets icy, you will only realise when you have landed in a ditch...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    interesting, so when the road gets icy, you will only realise when you have landed in a ditch...
    No, I think I would realize I was heading toward a ditch while it was happening. BTW, you aren't that isolated! You still know what's going on outside of the car.
    And I don't have to worry about icy roads where I live, unless I head out to the higher elevations of the local mountains.

And a comparison between Austin Maxi and the terrific Renault 16 (84 vs 87 bhp) a reminder of what must be one of the original precursors to the modern family hatchback genre - cant recall if the Reno used a twist beam?

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?rtmaxir16f.htm
    Very interesting link, two of the first hatchbacks (along with the BMW 2002 Touring). I reckon I have a soft spot for Renaults...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

One could also ask how many would have survived if they had seat belts (before they came along).
    What's your point? It doesn't change the fact that many have survived accidents, even severe accidents, wearing only seat belts. I'm not saying that air bags don't make a difference, of course they do. But so do seat belts which is why there is a warning saying not to rely on air bags only.

Seat belts were also added because so many were dying or severely injured.
    You do realise you are actually arguing against yourselef now
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    You do realise you are actually arguing against yourselef now
    Heh-heh... I hope not!

Thread Information