Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Interests

Since sports cars were mentioned in this thread a few pages ago, I thought some of you would find this chart interesting.
    From Car Life magazine, Aug., 1957...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Very interesting link, two of the first hatchbacks (along with the BMW 2002 Touring). I reckon I have a soft spot for Renaults...
    Consider me a Renault fan too

I used to own an R12. But in particular those R16 TS were great - an endearing combo of funky yet practical but they also managed to be a sporty thing too. When you look back its amazing to think the R16 debuted 42 years ago

Recent Clios are neat little jiggers and I also favour the current Megane. If I were in the market for a new 4cyl there's not many jap cars that would turn my head over a Renault...

Btw in Oz today you can buy a well-specced Megane 2.0 sedan for $25k - less than a bland-as Camry 4cyl baseliner - yet they still don't sell! The brand was reintroduced here in back in 2002 with Renault confidently forecast shifting 25,000 of them by 2007. Yet total Renault sales last year amounted to a miserable 3,000 units - this despite them spending about $7,000 per car in advertising

VERY nice and interesting find FLeet. Cheers ......
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    VERY nice and interesting find FLeet. Cheers ......
    Glad you like it. If I come across more, I'll post it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Since sports cars were mentioned in this thread a few pages ago, I thought some of you would find this chart interesting.
    From Car Life magazine, Aug., 1957...
    Interesting chart, altough I didn't know a Maserati 200 S was considered a road going sportscar...
    Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Consider me a Renault fan too

I used to own an R12. But in particular those R16 TS were great - an endearing combo of funky yet practical but they also managed to be a sporty thing too. When you look back its amazing to think the R16 debuted 42 years ago

Recent Clios are neat little jiggers and I also favour the current Megane. If I were in the market for a new 4cyl there's not many jap cars that would turn my head over a Renault...

Btw in Oz today you can buy a well-specced Megane 2.0 sedan for $25k - less than a bland-as Camry 4cyl baseliner - yet they still don't sell! The brand was reintroduced here in back in 2002 with Renault confidently forecast shifting 25,000 of them by 2007. Yet total Renault sales last year amounted to a miserable 3,000 units - this despite them spending about $7,000 per car in advertising
    To be honest I find Renault's latest styling efforts quite ugly. Especially the current generation Megane hatchback, with that ugly back. However I do think that despite not being very nice the Vel Satis and the Avantime are very cool indeed.

In my family we've had an 8 (my grandfather), a pair of 5's (my mother), an 11 (grandfather/mother) and a Mk I Scenic (my aunt). All have been very reliable and great cars. Especially the 11, which brings back great chilhood memories. Furthermore my grandfather nearly bought a Fuego, but ended buying the 11.

If I had to choose a Renault I'd personally choose the Megane estate, with the 2-litre soft turbo engine. Unfortunately that combination isn't available, AFAIK.

EDIT I'm looking forward to the (soon to be presented) Mk III Laguna.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 05-04-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Interesting chart, altough I didn't know a Maserati 200 S was considered a road going sportscar...
    I also don't know why the Ford Thunderbird is in there. I wouldn't call that a sports car, more like a "sports coupe."

Well, I stopped by the weekly car gathering and saw this car below. It had a Ferrari emblem on the steering wheel, yet on the side of the car it had a "Fiat" emblem. And a "Dino" emblem on the back. ?
    The windows were up, but I tried to get an interior shot anyway.

There was also a Ford GT...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Well, I stopped by the weekly car gathering and saw this car below. It had a Ferrari emblem on the steering wheel, yet on the side of the car it had a "Fiat" emblem. And a "Dino" emblem on the back. ?
    The windows were up, but I tried to get an interior shot anyway.
    It's a FIAT Dino ( not really a Ferrari ) the 2l version.
    Shared much of the Fiat spider 124.
    http://www.dinospider.com/
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-05-2007 at 03:01 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Believe it or not guys, there's a place for vehicles that isolate you from your surroundings, just as there's one for the more "communicative" or "sporty" cars as well. Fleet and everyone else should accept these basic facts, and move on.

[/thread]
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

It's a FIAT Dino ( not really a Ferrari ) the 2l version.
    Shared much of the Fiat spider 124.
    http://www.dinospider.com/
    Thanks for the verification, Matra. I didn't think it was an actual Ferrari.

Also, I did mention the streets out here are nice and wide (which do come in handy). Here are a few pics below of Sepulveda Blvd., the longest street in the Los Angeles area and one of the widest...

Driven on it in and and out of LAX many times

This pic is my current odometer today .. 427,000 .. on the original motor (still the original rings/bearings etc)

It still runs like new. No fumes, no smoke, no noises, no oil burn. When and if any of your own low-use Cads ever achieve a similar mileage then you can come and lecture me about product durability/quality - but not before!
    How about this photo? 470,664.5 miles.
    A member on a Lincoln Town Car forum owns it. He refers to it as "5.0 Black Beauty," which means it's an '80s TC ('90s had a 4.6 L engine).
    This one, too, has the original engine, as do many high-miles Town
    Cars out there.

Yes, my Cadillacs are low-use for good reason. To save on fuel, to keep mileage down and because they are rare and worth preserving.
    However, a "friend of a friend" owns a black export-spec (Germany) '74 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with 440,000 miles. Engine has never been out of the car and the transmission has never been rebuilt.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 05-05-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Driven on it in and and out of LAX many times
    It sure is a long street... 42.8 miles going from the extreme northern part of the San Fernando Valley in Mission Hills to the Long Beach area.

You should see how the traffic backs up on it going north through the pass during the week (or, maybe you have seen it). I hope you didn't get stuck in traffic anywhere.

The twice-annual Mopar car show is going on this weekend and there was a 1960 Chrysler 300-F being displayed.
    Here is a shot of the unusual dashboard...

Thread Information