Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ALMS Lone Star Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The fact that diesel has a chance to win has made Audi and Peugeot enter this class. It would be foolish to expect that they would have entered with hopes of more than being a backmarker being very slim indeed. What would justify such investments?
    That's rediculous. What you are suggesting is that the sport in Motorsport has lost all its meaning. Audi raced a petrol engined machine for many years and we all know how that turned out. I'm confident that with a petrol engine the Audi and Peugeot teams would also be dominant.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    That's rediculous. What you are suggesting is that the sport in Motorsport has lost all its meaning. Audi raced a petrol engined machine for many years and we all know how that turned out. I'm confident that with a petrol engine the Audi and Peugeot teams would also be dominant.
    what I am saying is that ACO introduced a set of rules that made it attractive for producers of diesel engines to come in. I don't think that Peugeot would have ever entered LMP1 with a petrol engine.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

what I am saying is that ACO introduced a set of rules that made it attractive for producers of diesel engines to come in. I don't think that Peugeot would have ever entered LMP1 with a petrol engine.
    Why? They still had to face a more experienced Audi. Whether it was with a petrol or a diesel engine. I really don't think Peugeot would have feared the petrol engined privateers.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Why? They still had to face a more experienced Audi. Whether it was with a petrol or a diesel engine. I really don't think Peugeot would have feared the petrol engined privateers.
    but what would Peugeot have to gain commercially if they had entered a 5 liter petrol V8?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

They did "extra-officially" not that long ago supplying engines to Pescarolo.

Basically in my opinion the advent of diesel engines in racing is more due to the political correctness of them nowadays than anything else.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Basically in my opinion the advent of diesel engines in racing is more due to the political correctness of them nowadays than anything else.
    superior performance may be?

Well IIRC there was a diesel Lola entered in the 24h of Le Mans some years before the Audis and it was absolutely rubbish. I know that there are some budget differnces, but the competitiveness might also have something to do with the favourable regulations. If petrol and diesel engines were equally competitive Porsche would've probably built an LMP1 car instead of an LMP2, as you said.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Right. The limit of turbocharged diesel engines is 5.5 litre, whereas forced induction petrol engines are limited to 4 litre.

(Ted Joans)

Right. The limit of turbocharged diesel engines is 5.5 litre, whereas forced induction petrol engines are limited to 4 litre.
    think about it in terms of energy input equivalence...

Audi won last year, but who was the competition? A Courage? A Pescarolo? A Creation? Nobody except those directly involved gives a damn about that, but when Audi beats Peugeot or vice versa, that will give some publicity worth looking for. Back to the old battles between Ford and Ferrari, Ferrari and Porsche etc. That is motorsport in the eyes of the general public.
    Personally, that is the kind of racing I would like to see. I think Porsche vs. Audi would have been ideal and there could have been some great battles between the two. At least Peugeot and Audi will battle it out at Le Mans though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Personally, that is the kind of racing I would like to see. I think Porsche vs. Audi would have been ideal and there could have been some great battles between the two. At least Peugeot and Audi will battle it out at Le Mans though.
    there is a rumour that Audi will start with three cars at LeMans and that one will stay in Europe to compete in LMS...

SPEED TV Covers them as well

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    It's on CBS next Saturday
    If you get it SPEED does good coverage of the ALMS. Dorsey Schroeder isn't too bad a commentator. I know everyone is talking about the LMP1 and LMP2 but how 'bout GT and the Vette vs. Aston Martin battle! Great Stuff!

there is a rumour that Audi will start with three cars at LeMans and that one will stay in Europe to compete in LMS...
    That would be pretty cool - a better means of comparing the 908 and R10.

They do have 3 (or 4) R10 chassis, so it's plausible...

Quote Originally Posted by MorganK View Post
    how 'bout GT and the Vette vs. Aston Martin battle! Great Stuff!

Do you mean Vette vs. Aston battle from last year?

Thread Information