Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW's new styling... wt*

Thumbs down BMW's new styling... wt*

I was just wondering whoes in charge, and whoes idea it was to make all their cars look terrible.of BMW's new design. Im not sure if people agree but i personaly hate it with every inch of my life!
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Where have you been the last couple years? Chris Bangle penned those designs that you hate so much.

True, these designs are a departure from BMW's reserved past, but is that really a bad thing? When most new cars come out, nobody really cares too much about the new styling, but with Bangle's designs, everybody cares. Everyone has an opinion of the new 5/6/7 series and Z4. What he is doing is unlike anything that's come before and only time will tell if he is ahead of his time or just an anomoly.

I too was wary of his designs at first, but they're beginning to grow on me (especially the new 6 series). Maybe, given time, you will start to like these new designs. Or not.
    Your sig is too long.

i think that the new designs by bmw are great looking, and immediately you can tell that a 5, or z4 (are there any new 3's and 7's?) is a bmw. CoachZ is right in that new car designs are thought very highly of for a while, but thats exactly what it was like when the very old designs were being replaced with the current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ
    Where have you been the last couple years? Chris Bangle penned those designs that you hate so much.

True, these designs are a departure from BMW's reserved past, but is that really a bad thing? When most new cars come out, nobody really cares too much about the new styling, but with Bangle's designs, everybody cares. Everyone has an opinion of the new 5/6/7 series and Z4. What he is doing is unlike anything that's come before and only time will tell if he is ahead of his time or just an anomoly.

I too was wary of his designs at first, but they're beginning to grow on me (especially the new 6 series). Maybe, given time, you will start to like these new designs. Or not.
    THX for the info. I have been living in a cave for a few years now, i come up every once in a while o read my threads ...lol
    Nope, i have read threads about him before i just forgot his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    i think that the new designs by bmw are great looking, and immediately you can tell that a 5, or z4 (are there any new 3's and 7's?) is a bmw. CoachZ is right in that new car designs are thought very highly of for a while, but thats exactly what it was like when the very old designs were being replaced with the current ones.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion

A bit of history:

After many Years with BMW, and producing some of the best of their designs, including the 1986 7 series, 1990 E36 3 series, 1988 E34, and 1996* E39 5 series, BMW's head of design Claus Luthe was arrested for the murder of his son.

Wolfgang Reitzle spent TWO YEARS (enough time to find the right person don't you think?) looking for a suitable replacement. In 1992 it was announced that Chris Bangle would be taking the post of head of design at BMW, and he would be only the fourth person to hold that position since WWII.

Roll forward a few years to 1999 and the Z9 concept. A brand new direction for BMW's design language. Bangle unleashed.
    Then the E65 7 series, and everyone hates BMW all of a sudden. "How could they?" "Why?" "Oh dear God no!!!"
    The X coupe, CS1, X activity, E60 5 series, Z4, 6 coupe.
    The world must be coming to an end

At this current moment in time ADRIAN VAN HOOYDONK is Head of Design at BMW.
    Who? you may ask.
    He did the exterior for the E65 7 series.
    He also worked on the exterior for the Z9, 6 series, Z4, and X3.

Bangle is now Design Director, which means he oversees design of ALL BMW products. That is BMW, M Sport, Mini, and Rolls Royce.
    (before you start complaining about "Bangled" Rollers, he is overseeing, not designing)

*I know this is 4 years after he left. Maybe he left the drawings on his desk
    /Endhistorylesson
    Thanks for all the fish

I hate the new BMW look. if you ask me they have spolied the desighn

Chris Bangle is a sad American who is trying to bring his American and S**t designs to German cars.

i think BMW designs are headed in the right direction
    every car is distintly different from one another, which i think is a good thing, because older BMW's used similar characteristics in their models

a good example of change is the new 5 series, totally different the the old 5 series and way way better in every aspect of the car, from performance to styling of the interior/exterior of the car
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    i think BMW designs are headed in the right direction
    every car is distintly different from one another, which i think is a good thing, because older BMW's used similar characteristics in their models

a good example of change is the new 5 series, totally different the the old 5 series and way way better in every aspect of the car, from performance to styling of the interior/exterior of the car
    The old 5-Series was seen as a perfect car. The new 5-Series is no longer a perfect car. It has recieved many criticisms of being ugly and old 5-Series owners are looking elseware for an Executive car.

Oh yeah, BTW, It would be normal to use the same characteristics in each model in the BMW range because they are all the same make of car. It would be stupid if all the cars in the range looked different because it wouldn't show that they are the same make and people might not be able to identify them as the same make anyway.
    Last edited by RS6; 04-18-2004 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    The old 5-Series was seen as a perfect car. The new 5-Series is no longer a perfect car. It has recieved many criticisms of being ugly and old 5-Series owners are looking elseware for an Executive car.
    many criticism's from who, it is highly recommended by Consumer guide magazine

here's what they say:
    -Smooth and stable at any speed, fast
    -ride/handling among world's best
    -well balanced, agile, always composed, braking is strong
    -very quiet at all speeds
    -good head/ leg room
    -"BMW improves upon the 5-series world class handling--without compromising its admirable ride quality"

maybe you should read up on what professionals think about the car, i'm not saying their always right, but they get pretty close to being right all the time

Oh yeah, BTW, It would be normal to use the same characteristics in each model in the BMW range because they are all the same make of car. It would be stupid if all the cars in the range looked different because it wouldn't show that they are the same make and people might not be able to identify them as the same make anyway.[/QUOTE]

that might be the dumbest quote i have ever read

if it is stupid to change the way a car looks, then why did Ferrari go from the F40 to F50 to the Enzo,
    let me ask you another question, is the Enzo unrecognizable as a Ferrari, because it looks nothing like the F40??

Cars like the new 5-Series, 6-Series and Z4 are works of art. Chris Bangle tried something totally different, and pulled it off. At first I wasn't too keen on Bangle's designs, and then I looked again at the Z4 and thought, "whoa...". Then the 7-Series, and thought "wow..." then I saw the 5-Series and thought "man, this guy is a genius!". And now, with the new 6-Series, I thought "Bangle for president".

Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

I agree it is something different, but BMW's (break my windows) new designs are something I'll never be used to. I'd rather see everybody driving around in E30's, not these retro thingys. Here's my theory of how Bangle designs the new BMW's (some of you may already know it....not sure):

He takes he old BMW to a shooting range, sets up a minigun with plenty of ammo and a couple rocket launchers and shoots the old BMW. Then, he yells out loud "There's the new BMW!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Oh yeah, BTW, It would be normal to use the same characteristics in each model in the BMW range because they are all the same make of car. It would be stupid if all the cars in the range looked different because it wouldn't show that they are the same make and people might not be able to identify them as the same make anyway.

that might be the dumbest quote i have ever read

if it is stupid to change the way a car looks, then why did Ferrari go from the F40 to F50 to the Enzo,
    let me ask you another question, is the Enzo unrecognizable as a Ferrari, because it looks nothing like the F40??[/QUOTE]

F40, F50 and Enzo are completely different models.

PS: I recommend that you don't double post.

Thread Information