Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Orion Falcon - First Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    And if it were a BA/F body, they wouldn't have disguised it.
    Unless they want you to think its not a BF.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Unless they want you to think its not a BF.
    That's logical, however Ford wouldn't go to the extent of heavily modifying sheet metal. The cars being compared with BF models clearly exhibit major sheet metal changes that wouldn't likely be applied to something like a mere drivetrain mule.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

The whole point of a mule though is its a botched together POS. Remember all those VE mules that were a VZ body? That was with something clean sheet, Orion will still be sharing the rear section of the chassis.
    I am the Stig

Correct, but the fact that this shares no detail that clearly identifies it as a BF leads me to believe that this is an Orion prototype. All of the sheet metal is different. The fact that it has such similar proportions to the outgoing model make it hard to judge. I personally hope that they are BF mules, because I'm not very happy at all with the all too familiar proportions.

I just tried to find a picture I saw a while ago of all the major VE mules side by side. The first mule was VT bodied!

* * EDIT * *

Have you heard any solid information about wheelbase changes? I've read alot of different opinions about it - some say a slight increase (with reference to the V8 sc version needing to be shortened) and some say that it is staying put.
    Last edited by adrenaline; 06-06-2007 at 03:18 AM.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

The cars got massive padding on it regardless, all part of the confusion ploy so whether its BF or Orion bodied, it gives no accurate clue to the real thing unfortunately
    I am the Stig

Ford are quite good at the disguising business I edited the following into my last post whilst you were responding to it:

Have you heard any solid information about wheelbase changes? I've read alot of different opinions about it - some say a slight increase (with reference to the V8 sc version needing to be shortened) and some say that it is staying put.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Nothing solid, one of the insider guys on FAF.com thinks its about a 50mm increase, and more importantly says the V8 will be lower and further back compared to BA/F. I wouldnt be surprised if they push the I6 back as well, and with the new front suspension probably accomodating some of the longer wheelbase, the wheels are probably slightly forward too.
    I am the Stig

Dunno where your getting the entire body being changed, but IMHO that back door is almost the exact same shape as an AU/BA/BF door.

I understand there expensive things to change......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Dunno where your getting the entire body being changed, but IMHO that back door is almost the exact same shape as an AU/BA/BF door.

You will find that if you look closely, that isn't actually the back door - it's a panel to fool you. The BF will be completely re-skinned, which is confirmed. The chassis is carry over, of course, but with heavy revisions and as fpv_gtho has said, the rear will remain the most unchanged as most of it was revised with the BA upgrade.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

the sheetmetal i've no doubt will change - as well it should.

but the rear door line is fairly definate and cohesive across all pictures. and the sheetmetal can't really be changed on a door without hideous expense - it's easier to start again.

my point stands

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Dunno where your getting the entire body being changed,
    Every piece of insider information points to a complete rebody on proven underpinnings. Thats how the local manufacturers have typically treated major models in their entire history, the only blip in that radar has been Holden in the last 12 months as they had no Opel anymore to use as a baseline. Orion wouldve been a similar engineering effort had AU not gone so wrong and pieces like the new rear end being brought 4-6 years forward.

At about $50m each they are, but thats why they werent changed for BA...
    I am the Stig

it makes you wonder WTF they were thinking with AU. seriously.

still, heres hoping Orion turns out great guns.

Well it wouldve gone fine had it looked alright in most people's eyes. The foundations of the car were sound - double wishbone front end, watts linkage rear/double wishbone IRS, and they turned a massive corner with how they engineered the ute/one tonner.

Style wise they went wrong with Jacques Nasser and others forcing the "New Edge" global design theme down their throat, that only worked on small/medium cars.

A car that looks like crap but goes good is worse to most people though than a car that looks half alright and goes half alright.
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 06-06-2007 at 05:27 AM.
    I am the Stig

The problem was not the New edge styling. it was the fact it was a transition vehicle. between the Ovoid of the Taurus and the New edge of the Focus etc. had they chosen one family style to stick to life would have been reasonably ok for the car, however it ended up looking at once gloopy and sharp.

or, in the words of my dad, a Kinder Surprise car.

I suppose thats another way to look at it. The oval theme had been forced on them already with EL, as a way to guide in the AU's design themes.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information