Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 961 1986-1987

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    I study Motorsport Engineering.
    Most of us don't go to "car School"...

I thought you were on your "Being nice" campain
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I'm taking a break
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I don't believe i need a degree in aeodinamics to know something about it, afterall we all know something about cars and never went to "car school"

And your opinion on the wings is?
    i never went to an engineering school, so i have no idea about aerodynamics.
    my only opinion on the wing is that it makes the car look worse, and doesn't seem to be present on the car in the first photo.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

You have to realize that this a rear-engined car so having a lot of downforce over the rear wheels is a little silly, unless the front has sufficient downforce as well. This being Le Mans and all would make additional downforce and drag a bit useless.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    You have to realize that this a rear-engined car so having a lot of downforce over the rear wheels is a little silly, unless the front has sufficient downforce as well. This being Le Mans and all would make additional downforce and drag a bit useless.
    Solid point there, but having the engine in the rear is going to push the rear out in the corners, so the extra wing will ad even more weight to help keep the rear wheels in the trajectory. IMHO
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Solid point there, but having the engine in the rear is going to push the rear out in the corners, so the extra wing will ad even more weight to help keep the rear wheels in the trajectory. IMHO
    I think having the front wheels take off down Mulsanne is a bigger issue.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    I study Motorsport Engineering.
    Great - someone else who can appreciate how difficult Motorsport is as a degree

As for the 959 (not a 961)... that wing looks to me the type that gets tacked onto Civics and the like. A shame to ruin such a potent machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I think having the front wheels take off down Mulsanne is a bigger issue.
    I don't think the white car has ever been in the La Sarthe track...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think the white car has ever been in the La Sarthe track...
    I was thinking that it was a training car, kinda like driving school.

same lol
    My motto: Quality over quantity.

I want to go to the driving school that uses a Porsche 959...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Porsche 961 Le Mans 1986
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Porsche 961 Le Mans 1987
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

The Porsche 961 was a racing car built by Porsche and based on their 959 sports car. It was intended for sports car racing, complimenting the purpose-built 962 which ran Group C in the World Sports-Prototype Championship. The 961 project was short lived, running only three races and seeing the construction of only one car.[1] Plans to sell the car to customers were scrapped when the Group B class was canceled.

Development
    In the early 1980s, the Group B class of sports car had been introduced alongside Group C, both of which competed in the World Championship. Porsche had developed the 956 for the latter class, and following the 956's debut, began work on developing a Group B car. After initially debuting as a prototype concept in 1983, plans were made to built the car and provide it for customers, just as had been done with the 956.

However, around the 959's public debut, the Group B rules were adapted to better suit the class' use in the World Rally Championship rather than the Sports-Prototype Championship. Plans to develop customer 959s for sports car racing were therefore scrapped by time the production car debuted in 1985. Still wishing to put the development work on the Group B 959 to use, Porsche commissioned the construction of a lone racing car on 959 chassis #10016, to be known as the 961.[1]

The new 961 retained much from the 959 road car, including most notably the four-wheel drive system that was uncommon in sports car racing at the time. Although the four-wheel drive was retained, the system was modified to have more rearward bias, allowing for distribution of power to the wheels that needed it most. The adjustable damper and suspension system was removed for a standard racing unit that could only be adjusted from the pits.[2]

The engine, although very similar to the one used in the 959, was borrowed from the 962C, Porsche's replacement for the 956 in Group C.[1] This meant the 961 ran a higher boost level than the 959, but was able to overcome stress with more durable racing parts. The brakes were also adapted from the 962.[2] Bodywork was replaced with lightweight elements to bring the car down to a weight of 1,150 kg, while the rear wing and front fascia were replaced with modified designs in order to allow for more downforce.[2]

Due to the FIA cancellation of the Group B class in sports car racing in 1985, the 961 had to run under International Motor Sports Association's similar GTX class, leaving it as the lone entrant in its class in Europe.

Racing history
    Debuting at the May test for the 1986 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 961 was able to show its potential pace quickly by setting the tenth fastest lap time of the test under the control of French driver René Metge.[1] The 961's time, which was not only quicker than the only Group B car in the test, was also faster than several Group C1 and C2 class prototypes.[3] For the race itself, Metge was joined by fellow Frenchman Claude Ballot-Léna.[1] Although the car qualified down in 26th, the 961 was dependable enough to climb the field and eventually finish the race in seventh, 47 laps behind the winning 962C.[4]

Later in 1986, the 961 was moved to the United States and entered in the Camel GT Championship's final round at Daytona. There, the car had to be entered in the GTP class, running alongside sports prototypes like the 962. Drivers Kees Nierop of the United States and Günter Steckkönig of Germany were assigned to the car. However, the banking on the Daytona circuit caused problems for the 961's tires, pushing the tires beyond their load limits and leading to several blowouts while at full speed.[1] This slowed the 961 down, leaving it to finish the race in 24th position.[5]

Porsche retained the 961 into 1987, when it was once again entered for Le Mans. The car was repainted from its plain white color to a Rothmans scheme, similar to that used by the factory 962 squads.[1] Performance slipped from the previous year as the 961 earned only the 16th fastest lap in the test session.[6] For the race itself, Claude Haldi joined previous drivers Metge and Nierop. Although the car managed to run as high as 11th overall, an accident caused by gearbox problems led to the car being retired halfway through the event.[1].

Following the Le Mans difficulties, and with no championship with which to run the 961 against similar machinery, the project was canceled.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porsche 961 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thread Information