Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    You should present this information to Ferrari.... those dumb pasta eaters have been using IRS on there F1 cars since the 60s.
    are you being sarcastic? to achieve the goals of low unsprung mass,anti-squat, anti-dive - camber control, combined ride comfort and handling etc independent suspension is a better design option, if a little more R&D heavy and expensive. I don't know any particularly succesful European cars that deem it a feesable solution in a highly competitive market.
    autozine.org

Thanks for the info, I always assumed it was because a SRA is better for drag racing. You should present this information to Ferrari.... those dumb pasta eaters have been using IRS on there F1 cars since the 60s.
    You should also tell Corvette designers...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Slicks-

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    are you being sarcastic?

Absolutely, hence " "

I just had to respond to the ignorant comment about Solid rear axle being better for handling with another ignorant statement. My apologys to any Italians who I may have offended; I love your cars & your food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You are right I've neve driven a car with a live rear axle. But I'm wanting to bet that an ML63 AMG can outhandle the Cherokee SRT-8. Not that I'm that bothered though.
    And if it does I bet it would have to do with the fact that AMG put some effort into making the car handle, rather than just throwing in an IRS and calling it a day.

Thanks for the info, I always assumed it was because a SRA is better for drag racing. You should present this information to Ferrari.... those dumb pasta eaters have been using IRS on there F1 cars since the 60s.
    I guess you need to re-read kiddo:
    "A properly setup SRA will handle great. And just adding IRS will only make the car ride better, not handle better, unless its tuned for handling. A great example of this is the 99+ SVT Cobra, which came with IRS, and owners are swapping in SRAs for better handling, ironic..."

In other words, just throwing in some old IRS sitting around in the parts bin isnt going to be better than having a properly setup SRA. EDIT: I guess you didnt know, the 99+ Cobra's got some old IRS from Lincon...
    NO WHERE did I say a SRA will have better handling all else equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    In other words, just throwing in some old IRS sitting around in the parts bin isnt going to be better than having a properly setup SRA. EDIT: I guess you didnt know, the 99+ Cobra's got some old IRS from Lincon...
    NO WHERE did I say a SRA will have better handling all else equal.
    So your best example of the handling qualities of the solid axle v IRS is a (typically) piss poor job done by Ford. Nicely played sir.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Despite popular misconceptions handling(on a smooth surface) isn't the weak point of SRAs. They can actually be quite good for handling, until you hit a bump, as they, unlike certain IRS setups, keep the tires perpendicular to the road while cornering. It offers terrible ride quality, but it's quite easy to make it handle well. When you hit a bumby roads, however, it won't handle as well as certain IRS setups sue to camber issues.

So much to my shagrin, Slicks IS correct, and I hate agreeing with him

It can't be said, at least not definitively, that either IRS or SRA is better. There are many types of IRS; some are good, some are not so good. Some SRA cars handle superbly, some don't. It's, in the end, very much a car/set-up specific concept.

"it[a solid rear axle] offers quite good handling despite of poor ride. Since the wheels are rigidly linked by an axle, they remain perpendicular to the road surface regardless of body roll. Therefore the car corners quite stable. In contrast, in many types of independent suspensions, camber angle may be changed due to body roll."
    Read the Non-independent Suspension section, it starts and ends on page one. http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...uspension1.htm
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Jeep SRT-8 super fast all wheel drive I whould never tow with 1?

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    It may not suppost to have it, but there is a little mercedes 3-point star on the side right above the Jeep on the side. And yes im sure its the SRT8, it has the SRT8 emblem on the back left side i believe and the exhaust pipes shoot out the middle of the back.
    are you sure thats not just the Chrysler symbol that most Jeeps have there? which in that case it would be a five point not three.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifreak013 View Post
    are you sure thats not just the Chrysler symbol that most Jeeps have there? which in that case it would be a five point not three.
    Almost positive its a 3 point but ill see it again tomorrow, my counting might be a little rusty. Its also next to an ACE emblem from the ACE Hardware stores soooo....im thinkin maybe he owns a Mercedes too and just slapped that on there?
    1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am (Parked-Project car)
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    LS1/LT1 or Twin Screw S/C L98 TPI
    True duels/side pipes

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 (DD)
    Black/Black and Grey Leather

Mopar actually sells a special optional tow hitch that circumnavigates the exhaust. To the best of my knowledge this is the only vehicle that can run a 13sec 1/4 mile and has a 3500lb towing capacity.

I know the rear suspension argument is a little off subject, but does anybody know the best handling car with SRA? something made in the last 20 years.

Probably any 7 replica without IRS. Apart from that, the AE86 can be made it to handle fairly well (retune the suspension)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    And if it does I bet it would have to do with the fact that AMG put some effort into making the car handle, rather than just throwing in an IRS and calling it a day.
    Well of course, even if the most high tech systems are poorly done they are useless I think we agree on that. But while SRA might be good when it comes to cost and in the drag strip isn't in the real world an IRS arrangement better? Mr.Tiv says that SRA can be made to handle well on smooth surfaces, but in the rear world corners have bumps and creases and simply aren't smooth, except perhaps in Germany. Therefore probably in most cases IRS is a better option. The Corvette is a good example, if SRA is so good how come the Corvette doesn't use it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

give it up slicks. theres a lot of idiots on this forum who don't know what their talking about but like to think they do. thats the main reason i stopped coming on here often. i know you are right, you know your right. take comfort in that and just let it go.

edit just to cover my ass- i'm not one of them ^^
    Last edited by Juggs; 05-24-2007 at 12:12 AM.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thread Information