Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: the best gets better (2008 vette)

the best gets better (2008 vette)

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48592

quick and dirty...new vette gets a 6.2l ls3 v8 rated at 430hp.

all you import guys go ahead and bow down! the 400hp vette was already better than most of what japan/europe had to offer for twice the price and now its even better.

The Bang for the Buck factor of the Vette just keeps going up and up!! I hope to own a Vette one day. And, I'm sure the New Camaro, if ever released will have this 430HP motor in it as well.

Definitely good news.

As for bowing down, I think there are pros and cons for American and European and Japanese cars.

6.2 litre and only 430 BHP hmmm...honda has been getting 240 odd BHP from a 2.0 litre since the turn of the millenium...bow down to that...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by Clique View Post
    6.2 litre and only 430 BHP hmmm...honda has been getting 240 odd BHP from a 2.0 litre since the turn of the millenium...bow down to that...

Someone would definitely come to you and say :" Liter/BHP MEANS NOTHING."

I've nothing against this car, but can they do something for the interior? It looks crap.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Someone would definitely come to you and say :" Liter/BHP MEANS NOTHING."
    Problem is, that this guy will be easily buried in a flood of arguments, that he is wrong

I like it, it's nice to see the engine is even more powerful. The exterior is still stunning and the interior is quite good, for a GM at least. As for comparing it to european and japanese cars, I'm not putting myself in hot water by commenting that!
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

But does Honda make a 430HP engine and put it in a car that costs half as much as similar competitors? Uhh no...no they don't. Wait, they did make a car with a 290HP V6 in it, but that cost how much???? Over $100,000??!!

Considering that it's a 6.2L pushrod engine that's impressive. You have to remember, more displacement=more rotating mass. Anyone that makes a 6.2L isn't going to get the same HP/liter as a 2.0L engine. Parasitic loss is inevitable. even if honda makes it.
    Last edited by speedy_2; 04-27-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Uhoh, here comes Badda!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Problem is, that this guy will be easily buried in a flood of arguments, that he is wrong
    It's hp/kg that counts. Liters don't weigh anything and it is weight that slows cars down.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

yeah, the s2000 has great specific output but in the real world it wasn't that great because you have to rev the hell out of it to get any power. all its really good for is bragging rights.

the bottom line is that a bigger motor makes more power and its more usefull power because its there throughout the powerband, not just at 7000rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It's hp/kg that counts. Liters don't weigh anything and it is weight that slows cars down.
    No truer words have been spoken. As for hp/kg, the LS2 puts put 0.89 hp/lb, the LS7 1.10hp/lb. For comparisson, the AMG 6.3 in the CLK 63 has 1.08 hp/lb, and the S85 in the M5 and M6 has 0.94 hp/lb, so for the price, the base LS2 does pretty good, and I bet the LS3 is even better.

As an aside, approximately how much weight does making an engine DOHC as opposed to a pushrod engine add? Looking at all the stats of hp/lb, I see that the LS7 achieves it;s 505 hp at aonly 6,300 rpm - I know the rpm is limited in a pushrod engine, but were they to use a DOHC system, and allow the engine to rev to a higher levelm, say 8,000 like Ferrari's and Porsches, would the hp.kg be better in the LS7- or would the process of making it rev higher and use DOHC add too much weight and make it more like the hp/kg of the F140 of the Enzo or M80 of the CGT? I clearly am no engine expert and would like to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    all you import guys go ahead and bow down!
    I guess it is impossible not to ventilate your inferiority complex regarding cars when announcing a new US product
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I guess it is impossible not to ventilate your inferiority complex regarding cars when announcing a new US product
    haha touchee! i was really just trying to stir the pot a little. im sick of my threads being so short haha

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Henk4, do you thikn the Corvette is a good car? I've been trying to decipher what cars you like and if I had to guess it'd be the european cars form like the 60's or something.

Thread Information