Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford passed Toyota Initial Quality

Ford passed Toyota Initial Quality

Quote Originally Posted by road and track
    Ford Passes Toyota in J.D. Power Initial Quality Rankings
    The Daily Auto Insider
    Thursday, June 7, 2007

Ford supplanted Toyota — taking the top spot in five of 19 segments — in the 2007 Initial Quality Survey (IQS) by J.D. Power and Associates.

Ford earned segment awards for the Ford Mustang, Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan and Mazda MX-5 Miata. Mazda is 33.4 percent owned by Ford.

Toyota, which grabbed the top spot in 11 segments last year, captured only four this year — the 4Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma and Lexus RX350/RX400h.

Porsche again dominated the overall ranking of brands, averaging 91 problems per 100 vehicles as it had last year. That compared with a 2007 industry average of 125 problems per 100 vehicles. Last year it was 124.

Ford's Lincoln brand jumped from 12th in 2006 to third in overall nameplate rankings, averaging 100 problems per 100 vehicles. It was behind Porsche and Toyota's Lexus luxury brand, which averaged 94 problems per vehicles.

For the study, Westlake Village, Calif.-based J.D. Power collected responses from more than 97,000 buyers and lessees of new 2007 model year vehicles after 90 days of ownership. This year's survey included 228 questions and asked for information specifically about design and production, such as defects and malfunctions.

NOTE: Not included due to small sample size are: Isuzu and Mini.

Top Three Models per Car Segment

Sub-Compact Car: Kia Rio/Rio5, Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent (Total)

Compact Car: Honda Civic (Total), Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra Sedan

Compact Sporty Car: Mazda MX-5, Miata Scion tC, Subaru Impreza (Total)

Compact Premium Sporty Car: Porsche Boxster, Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class, Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

Entry Premium Car: Lincoln MKZ, Acura TSX , Cadillac CTS

Midsize Premium Car: Mercedes-Benz E-Class (Total), Lexus GS 350/GS 430/GS 450H (Total), Infiniti M-Series (tie), Volvo S80 (tie)

Large Premium Car: Audi A8 (tie), Mercedes Benz S-Class (tie) , Lexus LS 460

Premium Sporty Car: Mercedes-Benz SL-Class, Porsche 911 (Total), Lexus SC 430

Midsize Sporty Car: Ford Mustang, Toyota Solara (Total) , Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Midsize Car: Mercury Milan, Honda Accord (Total), Ford Fusion (tie), Mitsubishi Galant (tie)

Large Car : Pontiac Grand Prix, Toyota Avalon, Ford Five Hundred (tie), Mercury Montego (tie)

Truck/Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) Segments

Compact MAV : Honda CR-V, Nissan Xterra, Hyundai Tucson

Midsize MAV : Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander (Total), Mercury Mountaineer

Large MAV : Toyota Sequoia, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon (Total)

Midsize Premium MAV : Lexus RX 350/RX 400h (Total), Lincoln MKX, Lexus GX 470

Large Premium MAV : Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln Navigator, Hummer H2

Large Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD, Ford F-150 LD, GMC Sierra LD

Midsize Pickup : Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline, Dodge Dakota

Van : Chevrolet Express (Total), Kia Sedona, Ford E-Series

Good news for Ford. I belive they are number one now as well. Do you think it will help sale?
    Last edited by rev440; 06-11-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    news source? I like read-ie
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The only way for them to increase sales is to make their line up more desireable. In my experience with their current products, every model has a significant flaw. My mom's Fusion SEL, for instance, has a terrible transmission. The 6 speed automatic in that car is quite possibly the most frustrating transmission I've ever dealt with. The shift points are completely irrational and that ruins the car for me. If it weren't for that, the car would be a relatively fun family sedan.

Beyond the mechanical is the aesthetical. The Tri-bar grill is horrendous, as are the clear tail light covers they used on the Fusion

The 500, or Taurus as they've now decided to call it, was grossly underpowered when I drove it. Yet, other than that it was quite a good car. I think that they have since released it with more a more powerful engin option, but I personally think that it could benifit from a performance package, perhaps going as far as an SHO.

It's great that Ford's quality is up. That's truly fantastic news, but I fear that they have plenty of other issues they'll sort out before we see any drastic change in their profitability and sales figures.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I don't really like consumer surveys. Because the benchmark was done on very different segment of people. For example buyers of Toyota would expect very high perceived 'quality', hence perhaps a slight faint sound would render them going back to the dealers. And for Porsche buyers (car enthusiasts) perhaps they would even understand and forgive some errors where they know why and how it happened, and that they just have to perform some (i-dunno-waht) thing to make it work...

I don't like this direction of survey based on very drastically segment of buyers. well, of course people can mention that Ford and Toyota were under the same category, but perhaps the ailing ford gotten more 'i-can-see-they're-trying-so-it's-ok' such consumers as oppose to toyota's 'i-thought-they're-perfect?' consumers.

just my opinion.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    The Tri-bar grill is horrendous
    Seconded. I liked the mesh they used on the 500 much more. (or did use, I think they replaced that with the tri-bar )

Also, the new 2008 Taurus has a V6 with 263hp. That's pretty damn zippy! The older one was something like 155/200hp depending on trim.

263hp with all-wheel drive might make this a popular car....

if they end that transformers grill....

also, I just learned the 500/Taurus is built on the Volvo S80 platform, and the Fusion on a modified mazda 6 platform. Unfortunately, the Mazda 6 looks about 382973278621837623 better than the fusion. Now if they only came with all-wheel drive standard....

Ford D3 Platform (S80, C60, 500/Taurus, Freestyle, Montego etc)

Ford CD3 Platform (Fusion, 6/Atenza, Zephyr, Milan, Edge etc)

P.P.S China Car! It doesn't look like it, but supposedly its based on the Mazda 6
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 06-11-2007 at 12:49 PM.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    The only way for them to increase sales is to make their line up more desireable. In my experience with their current products, every model has a significant flaw. My mom's Fusion SEL, for instance, has a terrible transmission. The 6 speed automatic in that car is quite possibly the most frustrating transmission I've ever dealt with. The shift points are completely irrational and that ruins the car for me. If it weren't for that, the car would be a relatively fun family sedan.

Beyond the mechanical is the aesthetical. The Tri-bar grill is horrendous, as are the clear tail light covers they used on the Fusion

The 500, or Taurus as they've now decided to call it, was grossly underpowered when I drove it. Yet, other than that it was quite a good car. I think that they have since released it with more a more powerful engin option, but I personally think that it could benifit from a performance package, perhaps going as far as an SHO.

It's great that Ford's quality is up. That's truly fantastic news, but I fear that they have plenty of other issues they'll sort out before we see any drastic change in their profitability and sales figures.
    You guys need the Mk III Mondeo and Mk II Focus.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know that Ford own a portion of Mazda, but I don't think that you can really call the MX5/Miata a Ford car.

On a similar note, I wouldn't exactly call a Mercedes Benz CLK compact, either.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    I know that Ford own a portion of Mazda, but I don't think that you can really call the MX5/Miata a Ford car.

On a similar note, I wouldn't exactly call a Mercedes Benz CLK compact, either.
    J.D Power is warped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    You guys need the Mk III Mondeo and Mk II Focus.
    That would work for me. I don't know if that would make fiscal sense, though.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

That would work for me. I don't know if that would make fiscal sense, though.
    What do you mean?

By the way I'd scrap the etire Ford US lineup bar the Mustang and replace it with the European lineup. I'm sure things would go better for Ford.
    Visca Catalunya!

What do you mean?

By the way I'd scrap the etire Ford US lineup bar the Mustang and replace it with the European lineup. I'm sure things would go better for Ford.
    Well, initially, they'd have to import the car, which would increase cost. Then, so as to not have to import the cars, they'd have to re-tool the plants, which isn't cheap.

Basically, what your suggesting would increase their expenses and I'm not sure if the cars would sell well enough to justify the extra expense

Well, initially, they'd have to import the car, which would increase cost. Then, so as to not have to import the cars, they'd have to re-tool the plants, which isn't cheap.

Basically, what your suggesting would increase their expenses and I'm not sure if the cars would sell well enough to justify the extra expense
    Well to win money you have to invest first. I know it'd be a big gamble, but I think it could pay off, especially when Ford Europe has so many worthy cars, including the S-Max and Galaxy MPVs. They seem so much ahead of the Ford US products. They could also look at Ford Australia for the bigger cars.

I guess that if the new Opel-Saturn plan is succesful what I'm saying could work too. By the way, is the Astra alreay on sale here? And if it is, how is it selling?
    Visca Catalunya!

Well to win money you have to invest first. I know it'd be a big gamble, but I think it could pay off, especially when Ford Europe has so many worthy cars, including the S-Max and Galaxy MPVs. They seem so much ahead of the Ford US products. They could also look at Ford Australia for the bigger cars.
    If the Falcon were LHD, that would be much less of a gamble, as it would almost definitely appeal to American buyers. I for one would like to see the Euro products on sale here, but I'm sure some of my country men would be much less open to them.

Personally, I think it would make much more sense to replace the Mercury line up with the European Ford products. It would help to justify the increased price and it would make Mercury more than, essentially, just a few more trim levels of the exact same cars.

For Ford US, the Unions are screwing themselves big time. They don't allow on 2 things, that screwed Ford US. They don't allow THIS, and they don't allow THAT.

p.s. Screw JD Power, oh and Top Gear Survey as well.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Ford Mustang gets a nod for initial quality impression?

WTF is going on there?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information