Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new idea: The Photography assignment

A new idea: The Photography assignment

I found this on another forum and I quite liked to enter in it there. Perhaps an idea for here too

The basics are that you get a certain topic and find your completely own interpretation of it and shoot it.

No voting and/or winners, but just proper comments and critiques on your work, from which you can progress.

What do you guys think of it ?

Sounds like a good idea. How does it work? Like the comps? With each idea being open for a set amount of time?
    Sounds like fun to me, i'm not the greatest photographer but i might join in once in a while.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. How does it work? Like the comps? With each idea being open for a set amount of time?
    Sounds like fun to me, i'm not the greatest photographer but i might join in once in a while.
    Yea.. That's basically the idea. Say two weeks each time or something ? For example, we set a word like, Powerful. Then you think about it and try to capture something powerful. It can be anything you like, from your own () muscles to a lorry. As long as it has anything to do with Powerful...

I think it's a good idea, but there's lots of possibilities. But there doesn't have to be a time limit or a 'word'. Someone could go on holiday and try to capture local wildlife/everyday life or something
    My other signature has a V12

Quote Originally Posted by Pinin View Post
    I think it's a good idea, but there's lots of possibilities. But there doesn't have to be a time limit or a 'word'. Someone could go on holiday and try to capture local wildlife/everyday life or something
    That just makes it a thread for posting general photos then.
    At least with the restriction of time and theme it makes it a little more purposeful.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka View Post
    That just makes it a thread for posting general photos then.
    At least with the restriction of time and theme it makes it a little more purposeful.
    I was thinking more of National Geographic assignments when I said that. They don't have 2 weeks and one word to work to
    My other signature has a V12

Then i guess it had to be under a same thread with the title

"Photography Assignment 1 - Powerful"

Then someone else could come up with: "Photo Assignment 2 - Women"

this would allow others to pick for their desired assignments and post in theirs any time.

But when there is a need for second topic, only members who had participated in the 1st could suggest and only 3 replies from members who also participated of 'Agree' would give the 'go'; hence that member which suggested could start a new assignment in a new thread.

So if someone were to come up with topics, they would 1st have to participate, this would cut off anonymouse setting up of 'assignments'.

By limiting only to members that participate to cast their concurrence for a new assignment would give appropriate weightage to the suggested topic.

And the continuous running of those proposed, agreed and set-up threads actually run forever, hence members who need more time could do so.

Just my 2 cents on how it should be run without creating hassle for the mods to 'clean up' the forum, and to have a more systematic way of running it.

I agree this to be done. Drakkie, you free? mind set up something?
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I found this on another forum and I quite liked to enter in it there. Perhaps an idea for here too

The basics are that you get a certain topic and find your completely own interpretation of it and shoot it.

No voting and/or winners, but just proper comments and critiques on your work, from which you can progress.

What do you guys think of it ?
    I think that would a very good idea.

i think it's a really good idea, but i also am for having it as a competition.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I'm pretty sure something like this has been considered before, and i do think it'd work. Without the need for a competition. A competition usually results in criticism that starts a debate of sorts, considering rules etc. A more relaxed theme would be better, giving it a more friendly atmosphere for photographers to show off some of their work and see what other photographers have in a similar category.

It's a variation on a pretty popular theme. At the club that I go to they have a similar thing, called the 12 shot challenge every year.

Basically you get a 24 shot roll of film and 12 titles. The idea is to get two pics of each title, so that you can pick your favourite ones for the competition. Everyone hands their film in before the deadline, then the guy running the comp gets the photos all developed, so that all of the photos are untinkered with straight from the camera prior to entry. Each member picks their best pics to make up their twelve. Each set then goes on an board anonymously and the sets are judged.

It's dead simple and not really time consuming, but it really gets you thinking. It's also really interesting to see how each individual interprets the title.

The titles are usually one word, such as Rust, Pipes, Path, etc. So that it's not overly obscure.

So yeah, thumbs up from me, but I think maybe it might be interesting to make it four topics, so that theres a bit more variety. Picking the topics might be awkward though. Whoever picks them is likely to have a bias, presumably with a concept in mind prior to the start, so it might be unfair to have one person picking the topics every fortnight.

Sounds fun.

I think we kind of tried this a while ago with the themed photography competitions didn't we? IIRC it kind of fizzled out, but I'd be willing to give it another try.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Just a suggestion:

I think it would be nice then, to have two threads for each assignment. One to enter all the pictures and one to showcase them after the two week deadline.

Perhaps put multiple words / topics for each assignment ? About three I was thinking ? Or does that put too much of a strain on the time ?

For the words I was thinking to either assemble a "panel" of people or something. Or just use a random word generator like this.

What do you guys think ??

I like the idea, but the random word generator is a bad idea. I just had to try it like 10 times to get anything that could apply to photography. So maybe anyone who has won a general photography competiton this year is eligible to be in the "Panel" you talked about and they can all communicate through PM or maybe an MSN chatroom to decide on the word.

But I'll definitely enter if we do this. Let's try and get it going soon.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information