Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1966 Ferrari 330 P3 Owner's Worst Decision

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    replying on a thread from 2007, good job
    well as you must noticed since you are a long term member, the population here is very fluid, and age of a thread is not criterion to leave it closed IMHO.
    Would you prevent Walter Rohrl to post in a Fiat 131 thread where the last post was made in 2004? (Unfortunately all hypothetical)
    In general you never know whether a new member can add something very interesting.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    well as you must noticed since you are a long term member, the population here is very fluid, and age of a thread is not criterion to leave it closed IMHO.
    Would you prevent Walter Rohrl to post in a Fiat 131 thread where the last post was made in 2004? (Unfortunately all hypothetical)
    In general you never know whether a new member can add something very interesting.
    It's fine as long as the person adds something to the thread.
    For instance Manel Baró has been reviving threads left and right, but he has very interesting and pertinent information to add. I think Duell's objection to this is that the post doesn't really have any substance, which, for whatever reason, is ok on a current thread, but not worth reviving an old one.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I don't understand why it's such a no-no to revive a dead thread either, and new members are more prone to do it not noticing the last post date. Not a big deal really, if there's more to be said, then say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I don't understand why it's such a no-no to revive a dead thread either, and new members are more prone to do it not noticing the last post date. Not a big deal really, if there's more to be said, then say it.
    it used to upset me... now i realize that if no one comes back and gets upset for reviving an old thread, it will only be on my new posts page for a few minutes. no big deal. it only becomes a problem when someone revives a bunch of old threads and doesnt contribute. then i'll just send them a PM and give them a cease and desist order.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It's fine as long as the person adds something to the thread.
    For instance Manel Baró has been reviving threads left and right, but he has very interesting and pertinent information to add. I think Duell's objection to this is that the post doesn't really have any substance, which, for whatever reason, is ok on a current thread, but not worth reviving an old one.
    I have seen other posts of Callum, hence I stood up in favour for him.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I have seen other posts of Callum, hence I stood up in favour for him.
    I'm not saying Callum is a spammer, I'm just saying that Duell had reason to chastise him.
    I can empathize with Callum's situation. I did a bit of thread reviving when I first joined, but I got a gentle warning to stop it. Many people are too harsh when they tell people not to revive threads and possibly scare away the new members, but I don't think Duell did anything out of line.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I'm not saying Callum is a spammer, I'm just saying that Duell had reason to chastise him.
    I can empathize with Callum's situation. I did a bit of thread reviving when I first joined, but I got a gentle warning to stop it. Many people are too harsh when they tell people not to revive threads and possibly scare away the new members, but I don't think Duell did anything out of line.
    There is obviously a very thin line. I am sure what Duell did was what he thought best. I pointed out some reasons why it might not be the best, but this is absolutely not saying that he was out of line. Many people here think too black or white.

Wow sorry guys. Still new to thread business. I'm flattered you are talking about me lol. Anyway, I'll use my head next time. Just been excited since I joined. Sorry mods.

Quote Originally Posted by callum122 View Post
    Wow sorry guys. Still new to thread business. I'm flattered you are talking about me lol. Anyway, I'll use my head next time. Just been excited since I joined. Sorry mods.
    no problem here, as said before the fact that a thread is being revived by a not terrifically interesting remark, may bring it back to the attention of others, not around at the time, who may be willing to contribute. In general, replying to a running with with just "wow" of "fantastic" is, in my eyes, a much worse offense (we don't want scnet type of threads)

Thread Information