View Poll Results: Which car would you choose?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa 159 1.9JDTM Turismo

17 36.17%
  • Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTi Sport

21 44.68%
  • Vauxhall Vectra 1.9CDTi (150BHP) Elite

2 4.26%
  • Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDi SE

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Faced

Two Faced

OK: Imagine you have a family of four and associated luggage etc. that you want to be able to ferry in comfort with 40+ mpg economy, BUT you also want a car that'll be entertaining on the right road. Will it be:

Alfa-Romeo 159 1.9JDTM Turismo 4-door
    Technical Specifications: http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/cgi-bin/p...y=831403640000

Notable Features: Cruise Control, Climate Control, Single CD-Player with radio controls on steering wheel, "Alfatex" upholstery, Chilled armrest compartment, Turbo pressure gauge, 16" alloy wheels, Trip Computer, 6-speed manual gearbox, Saloon bodystyle

Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTi Sport 4-door
    Technical Specifications: http://www.honda.co.uk/car

Notable Features:

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi (150BHP) Elite 5-door
    Technical Specifications: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/configu...TechnicalSpecs

Notable Features: Leather upholstery with heated front seats, Satellite Navigation with dashboard mounted CD-changer, Climate Control, 17" alloy wheels, Trip Computer, 60/40 Split rear seats with "load through" facility, 6-speed manual gearbox, Hatchback bodystyle

Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDi SE 4-door
    Technical Specifications: http://www.vw.co.uk/new_cars/passat_...engine_id=1205

Notable Features: Electrically adjustable driver's seat, Velour upholstery with "load through" facility, Single CD-Player with MP3 compatability, Rear air vents, Semi-automatic Air Conditioning, 16" alloy wheels, Trip Computer, Automatic Handbrake, 6-speed manual gearbox, Saloon bodystyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clivey; 07-22-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

......Entertaining? out of that lot?

Gotta be the Alfa. if only for the sheer beauty of the thing.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

The Alfa ranks way ahead in driver appeal both on the road and as a soulful car, but its pricey. The honda is the best package in my opinion as a family car..but wheres the new mondeo! It really is a fantastic car apparetly.

Why these four?, the way i see it:

- family D segment = mondeo, passat, vectra, primera,..
    - compact executive = 3 series, C calss, X-type, IS, 159...
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    The Alfa ranks way ahead in driver appeal both on the road and as a soulful car, but its pricey. The honda is the best package in my opinion as a family car..but wheres the new mondeo! It really is a fantastic car apparetly.

Why these four?, the way i see it:

- family D segment = mondeo, passat, vectra, primera,..
    - compact executive = 3 series, C calss, X-type, IS, 159...
    Good question, and one I would have asked. The answer comes in this form:

I'm looking to buy used in about 6 months' time. At the current rates of depreciation, these four cars will all cost less than £13k with less than 20k miles on the clock.

The new Mondeo's only just been launched, so it hasn't had the chance to depreciate yet, and I don't like the previous generation version at all (I travel in one as a taxi most days, so I know what it's like)

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Good question, and one I would have asked. The answer comes in this form:

I'm looking to buy used in about 6 months' time. At the current rates of depreciation, these four cars will all cost less than £13k with less than 20k miles on the clock.

The new Mondeo's only just been launched, so it hasn't had the chance to depreciate yet, and I don't like the previous generation version at all (I travel in one as a taxi most days, so I know what it's like)
    i see, good point, i would say the accord still. But what about..

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    family of four
    Is there anything you need to get of your chest or is this wishful thinking

EDIT: I am in a similar situation myself. Hoping to get my first career job soon and hence a better car. But i'm not thinking 4 door, more driver orientated coupe/roadster options insurance allowing. I will probably ask opinions on my options in due time.
    Last edited by jediali; 07-22-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    autozine.org

Is there anything you need to get of your chest or is this wishful thinking
    Lol. OK, basically with my Dad being a driving instructor, he has a Mini One D for his instruction car, Mum has another that's also a stand-in for Dad's incase anything goes wrong. This leaves me with the "biggest" car in the family - currently a Vauxhall Corsa 3-door...that's a Corsa for family of four...See the problem?

EDIT: I am in a similar situation myself. Hoping to get my first career job soon and hence a better car. But i'm not thinking 4 door, more driver orientated coupe/roadster options insurance allowing. I will probably ask opinions on my options in due time.
    i would recommend a mini for that.. that was my position, and it has sufficed beautifully.

to the question at hand, it would be the alfa hands down. so so pretty.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

considering the fact that having 3 more people in the car pretty much kills any of the performance the cars originally had

I'd have to go with the alfa. The other 3 cars would fit well in a dull urban driveway. But the Alfa puts a real smile on anyones face. Its beauty is worth the money if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    considering the fact that having 3 more people in the car pretty much kills any of the performance the cars originally had

I'd have to go with the alfa. The other 3 cars would fit well in a dull urban driveway. But the Alfa puts a real smile on anyones face. Its beauty is worth the money if anything.
    Luckily I won't have to carry the rest of the family all the time, then ...believe it or not, it's the Vectra that's actually the fastest car here in a straight line!

Your the only car enthusiast i know that favours the vectra. no offence intended but the 2 key reasons its bought is keen pricing and fleet deals...not driving fun. If i had to get a vectra but didn't want the image asscociated with it i'd get a 9-3.
    autozine.org

Your the only car enthusiast i know that favours the vectra. no offence intended but the 2 key reasons its bought is keen pricing and fleet deals...not driving fun. If i had to get a vectra but didn't want the image asscociated with it i'd get a 9-3.
    If I "favour" the Vectra, why have I made this thread and poll? Notice also that I haven't voted. I think it's a good car, that's all - just like the other "contenders" here...

...if I wanted a Vectra and didn't want the image associated with it, I'd get a 159 . Same chassis and engine.

Well I think they are all going to be awfully boring to drive, so I'll go on looks, which in this case goes to the Honda with big grey wheels.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

2.0T and 3.6L Passats are pretty entertaining to drive, considering their size. Don't know about the TDIs though, since we don't get them.

And the Alfa is fugly. I said it. What now?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Although the Alfa is tempting I'd go with the Honda.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Mazda 6
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information