Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citroen BX 4TC

Citroen BX 4TC

The BX 4TC EVO was Citroen's attempt at competing in Group B rallying. Since Peugeot was doing very well with its 205 T-16, Citroen was anxious to achieve the same success. The car was equipped with a modified 2,1-litre engine from Peugeot 505 fitted with KKK K26 turbo-compressor, which produced 380 bhp. As the engine was mounted longitudinally, the car had to have unusually long nose. It also featured the well-known Citroen's hydropneumatic suspension.

The 4TC was never really successful in sports. Entering in 1986, Citroen was able to participate in only 3 WRC events (and 12 minor rallies), before the class was banned. Its best result was 6th place in the Swedish Rallye.

Because of homologation requirements, 200 street versions of the 4TC had to be built. These featured the same engine as the EVO version, with a Garrett turbo, producing 200 bhp. Maximum speed was in excess of 220 km/h and the 0-100 time was 7,5 s. Bumpers, skirts, spoilers and interior were generally the same as in the popular BX Sport model, but mechanically the car was much different having new engine, gearbox, dashboard and 4WD system.

Sales were disappointing, with only 62 cars finding owners. Furthermore, the 4TC was prone to mechanical failures, which resulted in Citroen buying back many of the cars! It is estimated that around 55 cars exist today, the rest being scrapped by the factory. As for the EVOs, 20 of them were made in the Citroen Competition workshop in Trappes, most of them also scrapped. Only Two were officially retained, one for the Citroen collection, the other for Hommel. However, three bodyshells were rescued: one of them rebuilt to the original specification and destroyed later in a crash; it's parts used to complete the second one. Third bodyshell also exists somewhere.

Pics of the street version
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by go.pawel; 07-24-2007 at 07:51 AM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

And a few of the EVO version. I wasn't able to find any good ones though. If you have some, please post them.

The last two pics are from the Citroen collection, apparently stored in some undisclosed warehouse. There we can see one EVO, one street 4TC and one 16V touring racer. Also some racing/rallye Visas in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by go.pawel; 07-24-2007 at 04:25 AM.

Great thread! Thanks!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Now that's a way to transport your family !! My dad would have wished that over both our standard BX's

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    apparently stored in some undisclosed warehouse.
    AFAIK it is somewhere in the outskirts of Paris. In a old issue of Citroexpert magazine (around 2002) a journalist visited it, however could see only a small part.

Apparently they have even more cars stored in the Catacombs underneaths Paris...

I'd be drooling all over the place if I ever get the rare oppurtunity to go there !

I would really love to own one of the street legal versions of the BX 4TC, but of course that would never happen unless I struck it rich. I just love Citroens in general.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    I would really love to own one of the street legal versions of the BX 4TC, but of course that would never happen unless I struck it rich. I just love Citroens in general.
    From what I've seen, you can get one for 20-30K euro. That's, if you find someone who's willing to sell

From what I've seen, you can get one for 20-30K euro. That's, if you find someone who's willing to sell
    Well, if I won the lottery I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem finding a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Now that's a way to transport your family !! My dad would have wished that over both our standard BX's

AFAIK it is somewhere in the outskirts of Paris. In a old issue of Citroexpert magazine (around 2002) a journalist visited it, however could see only a small part.

Apparently they have even more cars stored in the Catacombs underneaths Paris...

I'd be drooling all over the place if I ever get the rare oppurtunity to go there !
    What could be the reason for a brand like Citroen not putting all those cars in a regular museum, so everyone can enjoy them?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    What could be the reason for a brand like Citroen not putting all those cars in a regular museum, so everyone can enjoy them?
    That's what I was also wondering about...

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    quelque chose aiment ceci CITROËN - Le Conservatoire
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    quelque chose aiment ceci CITROËN - Le Conservatoire
    Thanks But it still doesn't give the answer why they won't make it available for public.
    "The role of Le Conservatoire is to promote the image of the Marque" - by keeping all the cars and memorabilia stored in a warehouse Ridiculous. Normally manufacturers are proud of their heritage and display it to be admired by people. Even Peugeot has it's Musee de l'Aventure Peugeot.

Maybe Peugeot doesn't want Citroen to show them off? I'm not sure.

Thanks But it still doesn't give the answer why they won't make it available for public.
    "The role of Le Conservatoire is to promote the image of the Marque" - by keeping all the cars and memorabilia stored in a warehouse Ridiculous. Normally manufacturers are proud of their heritage and display it to be admired by people. Even Peugeot has it's Musee de l'Aventure Peugeot.
    Amen!

I imagine it has something to do with Peugeot having majority share of PSA Peugeot Citroen? I mean that's the only thing I can think of.

strange how people unaware of the reputation of the normal BX seem to be interested in a car that was technically some sort of failure and very difficult to handle. Normal 4x4 versions seem to be readily available.
    (for the record, I have owned 4 different BX models )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information