Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modifying a NA car

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    When we dynoed my engine Toyota 4age B/T20 valve, we ran it with just the intake trumpets with the 48mm ITB's which theoretically flow over 1100cfm. The injectors were nearly at 100% duty cycle and plus with the wrong plugs we burnt 2 exhaust valves and destroyed the spark plug on no 2 cylinder, we went 1 ranges colder 5 to a 6 on the plugs and fattened the a/f ratio-and it seems to have fixed the problem, I also thought he retarded the timing?.Plus when we run it at the track it runs a airbox which will richen the a/f ratio to about 13.8-14.0 dont really know yet because we have to fabricate a airbox or hit the track, hopefully next week end.
    Interesting...

How did you fatten the AF ratio if the injectors where already close to 100%... I find it difficult to get injectors to run much higher than 80-85%...

Retarding the timing is probably a good idea.

Sounds like a fun engine
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

We went bigger injectors because I didnt want to risk it on the track, the plan latter on is FI so I changed them to injectors that flow 365cc from the 20v that flow 290cc, may actually have to go sard etc injectors latter on but if we go FI will be going a methanol/water injection kit as well.
    I just want a reliable engine for a year or so and decide either to rebuild it as a NA stroked to 1.8litre(approx 240fwhp) with heaps of revs and a cr box or go turbo(290-340fwhp & 300ft/lb of torque) which will involve upgrading the whole drivetrain as the torque will destroy the running gear at the present moment. Either combination with a 780kg dry weight equals a decent power to weight ratio

Just want to get the car on the track and work out what works and what doesnt, we have virtually rebuilt it, so no set up has been done yet on suspension and brakes etc and getting to know the car and getting braver with it.

Circuit racing is bloody expensive but its the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

Dont really know if the injectors were running at 100% but the tuner said they were nearly at their maximum and they had to be upgraded, he basically said the motor was on the limit and it wouldnt be safe.
    Last edited by charged; 08-12-2007 at 06:55 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    No N2 to N is disassociation... N to NOx is oxidation... Combustion is normally used when creating the final product is an exothermic process. However when you look at splitting N2 and O2 and then recombining them to NO2 and NO3 the whole process is overall endothermic.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Dont really know if the injectors were running at 100% but the tuner said they were nearly at their maximum and they had to be upgraded, he basically said the motor was on the limit and it wouldnt be safe.
    OK well that certainly sounds more likely...

Actually I am bloody jealous that you are faced with the descision you are faced with... I wish I had the money to go racing but alas the coming project promises to swallow all resources for some time into the future.

If it was me though... I would go turbo!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    OK well that certainly sounds more likely...

Actually I am bloody jealous that you are faced with the descision you are faced with... I wish I had the money to go racing but alas the coming project promises to swallow all resources for some time into the future.

If it was me though... I would go turbo!
    iirc if he goes turbo he gets put in a much higher class (turbo is equated to a 2.5x increase in displacement) and might be unfairly outmatched, he's set his car up for a particular class i think?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    iirc if he goes turbo he gets put in a much higher class (turbo is equated to a 2.5x increase in displacement) and might be unfairly outmatched, he's set his car up for a particular class i think?
    If thats the case then

DON'T GO TURBO!

I always liked high revving screamers anyways...

Why are turboes equated to 2.5 times displacement? that means they assume he is running 1.5 Bar boost minimum probably closer to 1.8-2 Bar realistically to get 2.5 times the static displacement.

i think it's because you can just wind the boost up, it helps keep a level playing field i think
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Basically setting the car up for U1600 class, so I can get a feel for the car and if i want to go faster in a few years upgrade it then. I might be having a ball in the u1600 class and wont worry about going in the over 2 litre class.

The classes and rules for IPRA can be found here
    Rules for IPRA

If you can get into racing before you get married with a mortgage, children etc like clutch has its a much better way of doing it. I can afford it now but even now there is budget constraints(wife ) and I've cut back on a few things. But its the best fun you can have.

Link to the nephews turbo cars

Robs KE30 3sgte Corolla

Clints KE55 3sgte Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    Looking at the rules, its a 1.7 factor for supercharged piston engines compared to naturally aspirated piston engines.
    I am the Stig

Yep 1.7 is the multiplication factor 1.6 x 1.7 = 2.72 or class c 2001-3000cc

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Superchips are crap. As are most chip companies. A guy who has the same car as me once got one and compared it... they charged $200 to change one spark value by a very tiny amount. For chip tuning to be effective it must be custom to your car, by the company (this means multiple chips burned and tested) or you have to do it yourself by trial and error (10, 20, 30 tries to get it just right.)
    My shop teacher bought one for his f150 and after 2 weeks his engine denotated. i personally would not buy one. You would have a better chance buying a 32 bit ECU and punching in random combinations than trusting some of those manufacturers
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123 View Post
    My shop teacher bought one for his f150 and after 2 weeks his engine denotated. i personally would not buy one. You would have a better chance buying a 32 bit ECU and punching in random combinations than trusting some of those manufacturers
    Not surprising. One of the main things a chip can do is increase spark advance. If they did that too much, or he didn't change to better fuel, or his engine was not to factory spec, the constant detonation would take its toll pretty quick. Chip manufacturers can't produce a chip that's right for every vehicle. Vehicle conditions, available fuel, how you drive... there's so many things that affect it. If you really want a chip to make a difference, it's got to be custom. Small changes don't change much and big ones can screw you up big time.

Thread Information