Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: body work

I have had two footprints into my door recently. Together with a classmate (that was a educated&trained damage repair guy before he went studying) it cost me about 200€ in materials. Offcourse labour was free for me. If i'd be you I'd get a quote from the professionals before you'd do anything yourself.

Doesn't your insurance cover it, by the way ?

Some guy once drove into my door when I was parked (very slowly, he was reversing). The dent was only 10-15cm long an not very deep, there was also another small scratch on the panel above my front left wheel. It was somewhere between €500-600 to take the dent out and respray it. Luckily insurance paid. A few weeks later my mom took my car because her car was in for maintenance and she managed to make a new dent on the exact same spot by hitting my door against some pole. Not covered by the insurance company of course. Thanks mom.

Anyway, what I wanted to say. Bodywork is very expensive even for the smallest of things. Don't underistimate it. I wouldn't do it myself either.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 08-31-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Get a bodyshop to quote for NOT insurance first.
    If anything liek the UK then it's 2-3 times uplift for the insurance company work
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

this may sound crazy: how about, I get the doorcard of and carefully try to push the dent out, could I make it worse that way? I'm planning on doing some research on the touching up of stone chips. Its not 100% but at least its a lot better than seeing small bits of white basecoat.
    I've also come across another method. you should be able to get the dent out with dry ice , by holding dry ice to the dent , the metal would contract... see it happening on video: Remove car dents quickly and cheaply. | Wise Bread
    can anyone confirm any of this?
    Last edited by ripper46; 08-31-2007 at 03:42 PM.
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    this may sound crazy: how about, I get the doorcard of and carefully try to push the dent out, could I make it worse that way? I'm planning on doing some research on the touching up of stone chips. Its not 100% but at least its a lot better than seeing small bits of white basecoat.
    I've also come across another method. you should be able to get the dent out with dry ice , by holding dry ice to the dent , the metal would contract... see it happening on video: Remove car dents quickly and cheaply. | Wise Bread
    If you can take the panel off, put one arm inside the car, one on the outside. Then using the palm of your hand thats on the inside to push on the center part of the dent, and on the outside hand push in the high spots around the dent. It might get the dent out a little or even all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    i had actually seen people spray that keyboard cleaner upside down(basically liquid co2) on the dent after they had been heating it with a hairdryer and it worked. it was on a flat surface though

Thread Information