Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad news: atspeedimages.com closed

Bad news: atspeedimages.com closed

I was looking for some carburettor-photos and went for the best place on the net (apart from UCP); www.atspeedimages.com

This is what met me:

"I have regretfully closed down atspeedimages.com. There is too little respect for copyright on the internet and running the site was no longer enjoyable. atspeedimages.com will return in a new form, but it will not be free and the thieves across the world will have one less source to plunder. Adieu.

Michael Plitkins"

atspeedimages.com was one of my favourite sites on the net and an unique source to beautiful photos of racingcars, chassis, different types of suspension, engines etc (aka: engineering art).

Sad news indeed

You must admit, he's closing down for a good reason.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Of course he is, that is maybe the saddes part...

bluntly.....i think it's a crap reason.

the entire point of the internet is to spread information - and just because it gets spread in a way that you don't like doesn't mean you should stop feeding it.

People thrive off Spy photos of cars - but manufacturers don't want to you to see them.

why should photos taken by people be any different? if i was a Photographer as long as they weren't claiming them as their own i'd be stoked people wanted to see my work.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    if i was a Photographer as long as they weren't claiming them as their own i'd be stoked people wanted to see my work.
    and what if that activity was your only means of paying the mortgage ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

If that was the case - i probably wouldn't be posting my work on the internet.

I'd be looking at publishers, magazines, anything concrete and more theft resistant and likely to lead into other jobs.

Most photographers these days have an online portfolio, sure, but the work they do is used by print media.

Art theft has been happening forever. why whinge now because the internet has made it easy?

IB, looks like you agree with him as those seem to be the reasons he's closing down his "free" service
    Don't see him whining about it at all !

BTW, over here anyway, we have quite a few photographers who ONLY offer internet access and print services.
    All our club motorsports and horse competitions are covered by them. Makes it real easy to get pics of yourself !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I do agree with him and if he wants to get paid for his work thats fine.

I just think hiding behind the "I'm a tortured artist who has my work ripped off from me" excuse is Lame, bluntly.

The internet is the way most people will present their artwork in the future. I'm going to have an exhibition in about 7-8 weeks of one of my University courses -and it's going to be web based.

hahaha yep this site is a great democracy, baning people & deleting there posts, you admin guys are going to be in some deep shit, its illegal you better smartin up.

wtf? deleting posts isnt illegal.

unless I've been transported to la la land.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

yep. you have.

We're Moderators, mate. We're allowed to do that. the Site owner (and the law maker of this particular site) said so.

if it's so dramatic for you - you can take it up with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr*Sheen View Post
    hahaha yep this site is a great democracy, baning people & deleting there posts, you admin guys are going to be in some deep shit, its illegal you better smartin up.
    Ah you see, theres the mistake....

This isnt the free world of ultimatecarpage.com. You want to play in our backyard, you play by our rules.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Ah you see, theres the mistake....

This isnt the free world of ultimatecarpage.com. You want to play in our backyard, you play by our rules.
    how can you all be so wrong, adim can make up as many rules as thay want but there a still one set that fall over all in a court of law.

ucp isnt under a world of there own & thay sure as hell dont have there own set of rules in the real world when it comes down to admin breaking staited law.

See if you make such bold statements Mr. Fpv maybe you should do your homework instead of trying to burn someone in front your net buddys to make yourself look cool, because the truth is if you insist on banning people because of something thay dont agree on you will find that you wont have a leg to stand on when someone cracks the shits and shuts this site down threw a court of law.

Please please please do your homework and dont come back with immature remarks that you just think of in your head.

that was pretty harsh, but im pretty sure they know what their doing, not that its right or wrong, but they were given the authority for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr*Sheen View Post
    how can you all be so wrong, adim can make up as many rules as thay want but there a still one set that fall over all in a court of law.

ucp isnt under a world of there own & thay sure as hell dont have there own set of rules in the real world when it comes down to admin breaking staited law.

See if you make such bold statements Mr. Fpv maybe you should do your homework instead of trying to burn someone in front your net buddys to make yourself look cool, because the truth is if you insist on banning people because of something thay dont agree on you will find that you wont have a leg to stand on when someone cracks the shits and shuts this site down threw a court of law.

Please please please do your homework and dont come back with immature remarks that you just think of in your head.
    The member in question posted a large amount of inappropriate language and insults both to members on site and people off this website.
    Like it or not, that is not tolerated by UCP, and action was taken against the member. Infractions were given - look at them as warnings - to say that his actions weren't tolerable, yet he continued on and had thus been served with a ban. A single day ban. Not exactly like it's the end of the world, he'll be back within 24 hours. Look at this as another warning. If he repeats his actions, he will be punished again, but fortunately we're a friendly group, we do enjoy the company of members, and we're more than willing to give them a second chance.

And to the member when he returns, you're a good bloke to hang around with at events, I had a good time chatting with you. Just realize that there's other ways to bring the message across other than swearing and insults.

Finally, back to the original subject, I can definitely see why he's shutting his website down. I've posted very few photos recently, and the ones I have have large watermarks on them because my photography has been stolen without my consent a number of times. I don't mean my photos appear on a forum somewhere through an admirer, but rather they appear on advertisements, print media, cd covers etc. WITHOUT my consent. This is unacceptable, and I daresay that Michael Plitkins is under similar circumstances. If other people stand to gain from his photos without his permission, then he has a definite right to take action. And I fully understand his decision to shut down his website until further notice.

Thread Information