Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque converter

Torque converter

My T/A needs one and im not sure what rpm stall i need to get...theres a 1700 and a 2000 that sounded appealing. Also comes in a 1200, 2400, and a 2800. I don't want it too high but the too low that its at now fries my nerves. Any help appreciated.
    1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am (Parked-Project car)
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    LS1/LT1 or Twin Screw S/C L98 TPI
    True duels/side pipes

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 (DD)
    Black/Black and Grey Leather

Perhaps a better place to ask this would be Thirdgen.org? Posted them in your other thread but not sure if you saw it. Good for all your camaro/firebird needs.

Do you know what the stall rpm is for?

If your asking if i know what it does then yes i do. Keeps the rpm up while in gear so the engine can keep itself running instead of sputtering and dying...or for a faster take off if thats important to you.
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    If your asking if i know what it does then yes i do. Keeps the rpm up while in gear so the engine can keep itself running instead of sputtering and dying...or for a faster take off if thats important to you.
    Really now.

If a typical converter-equipped vehicle is held stationary by the brakes, the engine started, the transmission place in Drive, and the throttle opened, the engine will accelerate to some rpm level. This rpm point is called the stall rpm, and it's determined by two factors: the power (torque) that the engine can deliver at that rpm and the converter slippage. If a 350-inch engine can stall a given converter to 1800 rpm, a 455 engine would stall the same converter several hundred rpm higher due to the increase torque of the 455 at 1800. What about the load the converter sees? If the typical vehicle described above (with either a 350 or 455) is driven normally, it will move out briskly from a stop with minimum converter slippage. However, if a 5000-lb. trailer is connected to the vehicle, increased power will be required to move the vehicle, and the converter will slip to a higher rpm with either engine before the vehicle begins to move. This exercise illustrates that converters are sensitive to both power and the load imposed upon them. The stall rpm does not change with load because the drive train is locked when the stall rpm is determined. However, the converter coupling is sensitive to load. Thus, there can be no accurate description of the stall rpm and relative slippage of a converter unless both the low rpm engine torque and the load (vehicle weight) are known.
    Torque converters for street and strip
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Really now.
    "A torque converter must be used when running an automatic transmission and is sometimes considered part of the transmission. The torque converter is a separate entity from the transmission and serves three primary functions. First, the torque converter, like the name denotes, transfers engine torque to the transmission. This also allows the vehicle to come to a complete halt without stalling."

Yea, i may not know a whole hell of a lot about this stuff yet...but i can read.
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

I thought the torque converter converted torkx to hpz...
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I thought the torque converter converted torkx to hpz...
    i thawt it convirted nos to hpz

"A torque converter must be used when running an automatic transmission and is sometimes considered part of the transmission. The torque converter is a separate entity from the transmission and serves three primary functions. First, the torque converter, like the name denotes, transfers engine torque to the transmission. This also allows the vehicle to come to a complete halt without stalling."

Yea, i may not know a whole hell of a lot about this stuff yet...but i can read.
    You can read, but that doesn't mean you understand it. Which you don't.

Does it or does it not act as a neutral so that you can stop while in gear? If not then enlighten me and the mechanic I took it too should not be a mechanic.

Yes, thats not all it does but that is one of the functions right? At least thats how it was explained to me. If its wrong id really like to know.
    Last edited by KingNothing; 09-06-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

Does it or does it not act as a neutral so that you can stop while in gear? If not then enlighten me and the mechanic I took it too should not be a mechanic.

Yes, thats not all it does but that is one of the functions right? At least thats how it was explained to me. If its wrong id really like to know.
    Yes a torque converter allows the engine to turn over without turning the transmission.

Basically when you take off the engine is allowed to spin faster then the transmission and it converts that extra motion into increased torque, however as you speed up the engine spins closer to the speed of the tranmission and at some point the torque converter locks together at that point it acts like an engaged clutch in a manual transmision (ie the engine and transmision are locked together). Now Stall speed is when you are holding still and the auto box is in gear but you have the brakes on. When you hit the gas (and keep on the brakes) the engine will speed up. The difference in speed allows the torque converter to multiply torque. The faster the engine spins the more it can multiply the torque. When you let go of the brakes you will launch with almost all of that extra torque.

Basically the higher the stall speed the harder the launch you can make and the torque multiplying effect will be stronger untill the converter locks. On the down side when you drive around at low speeds the engine will be running at a higher RPM.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Yes a torque converter allows the engine to turn over without turning the transmission.

Basically when you take off the engine is allowed to spin faster then the transmission and it converts that extra motion into increased torque, however as you speed up the engine spins closer to the speed of the tranmission and at some point the torque converter locks together at that point it acts like an engaged clutch in a manual transmision (ie the engine and transmision are locked together). Now Stall speed is when you are holding still and the auto box is in gear but you have the brakes on. When you hit the gas (and keep on the brakes) the engine will speed up. The difference in speed allows the torque converter to multiply torque. The faster the engine spins the more it can multiply the torque. When you let go of the brakes you will launch with almost all of that extra torque.

Basically the higher the stall speed the harder the launch you can make and the torque multiplying effect will be stronger untill the converter locks. On the down side when you drive around at low speeds the engine will be running at a higher RPM.
    thank you.
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

what is a reasonable price for a torque converter? My friends suggested xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and they have a ton of different torque converters to choose from... i'm new to cars and i'm trying to invest in quality but also a reasonably priced product... any suggestions/thoughts about the site my friend recommended?
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-18-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abluff View Post
    what is a reasonable price for a torque converter? My friends suggested dwperformance.com, and they have a ton of different torque converters to choose from... i'm new to cars and i'm trying to invest in quality but also a reasonably priced product... any suggestions/thoughts about the site my friend recommended?
    well, a torque converter is not an aftermarket product, so are you trying to spam the site you mention?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information