View Poll Results: When should I buy/What should I do? (If I do)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • buy it now and take it to college

13 59.09%
  • buy it now and hide it at home

1 4.55%
  • wait until I get off-campus housing

8 36.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When should I buy it?

Sounds like your on the right track.

I purchased the Tippmann pro-lite in 96. I've never has a "gun down" day. Besides regular cleaning the only maintenance required has been the occasional O ring replacement.

About 3 years ago I felt the need for an upgrade. After weeks of contemplation and research I purchased an A-5 from 888paintball, at the time they had the best price. The Cyclone feeding system is what sets the A-5 apart from other markers. Someone may try to tell you they're electronic trigger can fire 30 times per second, but the truth is gravity cannot feed a paintball that frequently resulting in busted paintballs . The cyclone feed is essentially a revolving star inside a cylinder that is actuated by a gas powered piston. Everytime the marker is fired the star rotates 1/5 a turn placing a fresh paintball in the chamber. I have fired my A-5 8000+ times without breaking a single ball.

If you you play outdoors where long range is important the flatline is definatly the way to go. When we play out in the open its an unfair advantage. If you plan on playing speedball go with a traditional barrel.

I wouldn't worry about a scope. If you must I'd go with zero magnification like a red dot or holographic. Even with a flatline (which is capable of lobing 100 meters+) the distance is not great enough to require a zoom.

I have a remote tank, but I never use use it because it hampers my motion. I play ambidextrously, this allows me to show less of my body when emerging from behind a barrier. I prefer to use several 7oz tanks because they don't weigh enough to really slow me down/ impede movement (I'm always carrying a backup.)

Though it lacks the fit and finish, the A-5 is a formidable opponent to any $1000+ gun and in some key areas surpasses them.

I'll be more than glad to answer any questions

get it now, i had a .22 in my room at uni back in the day. nobody cared. it was just that kind of uni i guess.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

A-5: Response trigger, flatline barrel, and MP5 style stock

Pro-lite: Armson 18" barrel + venture bolt ( late 90s vintage)
    Attached Images Attached Images

The scope is debatable. It's not that powerful a zoom, it is mostly so I can sit silently 200+ feet away and not have to worry about missing the first shot (I'm going for a sniper approach to paintball) - I am leaving it semi-auto very deliberately, as I do not want to have to hold extra ammo in general when out in the field.

Are there any cons to the flatline other than price? It costs $100 abouts, and I have seen 18" two piece barrels designed for instant break down for just over half of that.

I occasionally use the gun ambidextrously, but some of the time I will probably just find a good spot behind a bush to go prone, pop out the bipod legs, and look for targets. This kind of position would be very irritating if there was a tank of any sort under the stock, so I will probably use a remote.

About tanks, someone told me that if I wanted to go for a sniper-role, an N2 tank is almost definitely worth the extra money. Is there truth to this statement, and if so, an explanation would be awesome.

Anything else I should know about/suggested items for a sniper paintball marker, please tell me. I am not buying everything just yet, as I do not have enough money for more than the basic stuff at first.

Here are more or less my priorities in what I want for my finished product:
    1) Accurate. I would like to go with the "one shot, one kill" motto, at least past 200+, preferably farther.
    2) The A5 might be very reliable, but the upgrades (low pressure system or expansion chamber or whatever I get) must maintain that level of reliability.
    3) Mil-Sim. It doesn't need to look like I pulled it off of a rack of real rifles, but I'd like it if it looked somewhat like a real rifle.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I got the tippman A5, and haven't had a problem with it yet. While I was in college my car club organized paintball events at fields vs other car clubs, so i'd keep it in my dorm room. See if your college or clubs there does stuff like that then bring it when you can.

Two piece barrels allow for quick changes of length. I have a 14" two piece barrel and I wouldn't go any longer for my purposes because I play speedball and I'm a "runner". Nitrogen tanks and gas are useful because they are a good bit lighter than CO2 tanks and gas. I have a 20oz CO2 tank and if I'm playing for 9 or 10 rounds it gets to be quite heavy.

My apologies for not replying sooner. I had to work out of town today, which happens to be my day off.

I still think the scope is a waste of your hard earned money. US Marines train to be deadly at 400 yards+ with iron sites. 200 feet is probably about the maximum distance maintaining flat trajectory (I haven't actually measured this, but it seem reasonable.) When paintballs near the end of there trajectory they become dramatically less accurate. For the ranges that even a flatline is capable of the factory H&Kish sites are proficient. Also keep in mind you will eventually get shot as will your weapon. One golden paintball would render the scope useless and be an absolute bitch to clean.

The sniping technique is a great defense. When you're on the offensive it is often impossible to get within range w/out giving away your position. Assault 101: when an entrenched enemy is engaged put a continuous deluge of suppressing fire on his/her position. Have a teammate flank the position while the enemy has there head down. Unless your opponents flank is guarded this works every time.

Yes there are some cons to the A-5 flatline setup.

*Removing the barrel for cleaning in the middle of a game is highly impractical because it requires a hex wrench. On the other hand the cyclone feed system makes this a very rare occurrence, I've only had to do this if I keep firing my marker after the CO2 is drained.

*The flatline is much more temperamental to velocity than other barrels. I feel like my sweet spot is about 270 fps, much over 280 and the balls don't fly straight. Below 260 and range is sacrificed.

*The A-5 is pretty complicated internally compared to other markers, but its still not that bad. If you have the tiniest bit of mechanical aptitude you should be able to break it down w/out the owners manual. Again the cyclone feed almost completely alleviates the need for disassembly.

* Flatlines are picky about what they eat. I prefer Marbalizer I've used Evil with success too. If you feed walmart paint to your flatline you will be sorry.

I've never played with nitrogen, but I've played against it. I was going to give you a big spill about how it is not worth the money, but I just changed my mind. They cost about 1/3 what they did last time I priced them. I might end up picking one up this winter, but then again AL winters are pretty mild... we'll see.

Good players play as a well coordinated team and adapt strategy to changing situations. Sniper skills can give you a definite edge, but flexibility in any situation is the path to success. Your money is better spent on extra paintballs for practice than accessories. Bad-ass custom markers are only as good as their operators.

I'm selling a Nightkast autococker blue with new board, phat barrel, shocktech bolt with: Nitro 45/4500HP tank, Egg 3 hopper, and other stuff.

What kind of paintball do you plan to play? If it's like in the forest or something a Tippman A5 is fine, but if you plan to play tournaments at dedicated paintball fields with the inflatable things, a lot of tournament organizers have banned them.

I am looking to play in the woods mostly. Fields too and stuff, but nothing like speedball.

All the versatility I am genuinely looking for, comes in the way of a 2-piece barrel. Anyone know the differences in ranges between flatline barrels vs. long sniper barrels? And I am not looking for the cheapest way to play paintball either really, hence my comfortability in spending that extra bit for things that are not genuinely required. I know it isn't the most practical spending of money, but I really 1) like the general idea of being able to hit someone on the other side of the course on my first shot with a reliable gun, and 2) have something that looks pretty damn cool, preferably mil-sim style.

I know it sounds like I am putting looks over functionality.....but I am going first for the practical stuff, like the A5. Currently, I am just thinking about what would help, and what I would like to add on for just adding to the pleasure of the game. I've played paintball several times before using rentals, and the only thing I have ever really wanted was more accuracy, and to not have to unload for 10 seconds before hitting someone.

However, your points on versatility are making an impact on my decision making process, as I am wondering about whether or not to get a special trigger system. However, a trigger system, a scope, bipod, etc, are all going to wait until I have the marker, barrel condoms, squeegees, a mask, parts kits and a few small/cheap upgraded parts. I will most likely stop purchases past this, as this will take up most of the money I have available.

I still really want the scope, hahah.

EDIT: Just wondering, but in case of whatever and I wanted something other than an A5 (it's still my top choice, don't worry), I just wanted to know the pros and cons any of you might know about the A5 vs. the 98C, and the X7, as well as compared to markers from other companies. Telling me what markers compete with the A5 in terms of use, price, durability, ability to be modified, etc would be great, as while I can read reviews about the 98C and X7 (I still prefer a semi-real conversation, but the more sources the better), I do not know much about many competitors for these guns. I have looked at a few things in the same price range from Spyder and Ion, but still do not know much about them except there are fewer modifications for them.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 09-09-2007 at 04:24 PM.

In reply to thread title 27th June 2096
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Sorry I don't have much info on other sniper barrels, but for what its worth I've never seen anything that can shoot farther than a flatline. I guess i have become somewhat of a dinosaur, because I really haven't put anytime into researching new products. I've never been disappointed in the performance of my A-5, so there has been no need to look around.

Over 80% of the guys I play with now use 98 customs. They're great guns. You could set one up with a flatline and snipe just as well as with an A-5. From what I've seen spyders are really good guns for the money. They are reliable and easy to customize. To me they are much more suitable for speedball because of their compact design & Metallic finish.

The cyclone feed system is what sets the A-5 apart from the 98c ( and all other markers.) If you never play with a gun w/out it you will never appreciate what a wonderful invention it is. It insures that you NEVER chop a ball (#1 cause of jams.)

The X7 is new to me. The fake AR15 mag would make it hard to shoot from the prone. The rails are a nice touch, but I can't really think of any accessories I'd like to add. Maybe a forward grip, but that comes standard on the A-5. The hopper design appears to be an improvement also, but still not that different from the A-5. Its extreme mil-sim look might get you arrested or thrown out of school.

Most of the guys I played with in college traded in there 68-Carbines (predecessor to the 98 custom) and spyders for Autocockers. I got to play a few games with a war games autococker and I was impressed. The fit and finish is much better than a Tippmann, like comparing an AK to a G36 or a Corvette to a Ferrari. The cocker was very accurate, but a tippmann with flatline still has at least 20 yards on it. What turned me off to cockers was the myriad of bright chrome colors. Obviously a disadvantage in the woods, and bling ain't my thing ( I don't even wear a watch because I consider them to be a status symbol.) I also remember cockers to be very temperamental and hard to work on. I did get to play with an automag once too. I really liked it. It was simple, reliable, and had a very quality feel to it.

If you get an E-trigger you won't be able to play in tournaments, possibly the same for the response (but I don't know.) I tried tournament ball once, but it isn't really my thing. If the guys in your club don't have E-triggers they probably won't let you play with one. My response trigger came factory installed and works flawlessly. For what its worth one of my friends tried to add an aftermarket response trigger to his 98c with disastrous results. He never could get it to work properly and ended up ditching the setup. Best bet- contact your schools PB club & ask what kind of trigger everybody else uses.

I attempted to mount a scope on my A-5 and found that my beloved cyclone feed gets in the way. As you can see from the picture the feed system prevents me from even mounting the scope. If the scope were shorter it could fit, but then much of the field of view would be taken up by the hopper. If you insist on a scope a 98c might be a better choice.

I still say go with the A-5. If I had to do it all over again my choice would be the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Turbo.Jenkens; 09-10-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Offset sight-mounts FTW

And agreed about the chrome. I am probably going to make a ghillie cover for the gun, and chrome would sort of defeat the purpose of that....

So far I am mostly looking at either the Flatline or the CP two-piece pro barrel. The thing about the Flatline is 1) its not exactly the cheapest, the Apex supposedly has the same accuracy and range, with adjustability, for a lower price, and 2) the Flatline looks kind of bulky, taking away from the sniper look I would like. If I went for the CP two piece, I would probably get 2 fronts, one 12 inch and one 21 inch for the same back piece.

I was looking for a good 2 hours at barrels for the A-5 at the site you gave me, and virtually no one gave any real distances. One guy said with an Apex he was able to hit a target 300ft away, and that was more or less the only number I got on the Apex, Flatline or CP. 300ft is enough for me to want a scope though.

^ wouldn't the paintballs themselves restrict accuracy more than any barrel design?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Man, what so scaring is in paintball gun? It's not an M-16...

Take it to a college?? It shouldn't be so hard! Dunnow about your security, but... Get a cord, drop one end from the window, someone standing there will tie it around the gun and you'll just pick it up. If there's a problem of taking it to a college territory, simply give it to one of your friends through a fence - what's so hard? Oh, maybe, I don't quite understand you
    Last edited by faksta; 09-19-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Thread Information