Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: American RWD or AWD Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    So do the Americans. Just check out the specs for something like a Corvette.
    That's one. Apart from that all you've got is a pair of re-bodied Mercs and an old Jag that was an old Lincoln. Woo.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeret View Post
    It is pushing the price range a little though. Then someone suggested a GTO. That seems pretty promising, i will look into that.

Anyways, keep up the good work I like the ideas.
    Used GTO ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    That's one. Apart from that all you've got is a pair of re-bodied Mercs and an old Jag that was an old Lincoln. Woo.
    The Chrysler 300C isn't a rebodied E-class. Chrysler was planning a RWD car before MB entered the picture. After they entered it made more sense to use existing MB tooling and parts rather than develop new parts. It also resulted in the car coming to market a few years later than originally planned. The MB parts include the basic suspension design, rear end and the transmission (5spd models). The actual chassis is not from the E-class.

The Jag-Lincoln platform was co-developed for use by both brands. I'm not sure which design center did the heavy lifting. It was done entirely after Ford acquired Jag.

Keep in mind that many of these cars are developed in various locations not because the parent companies can't do the work elsewhere but because it doesn't make sense to repeat the work in other locations. GM certainly COULD develop a new RWD car here but why? Their group in Australia also wants RWD cars. Their Opel group also wants RWD cars. I believe the last Holden Monaro(sp?) started life in Germany, not Australia. Why not use common platforms when possible. After that you devide the work up as needed/practical. The big auto companies are simply dividing the work as needed. It's all part of that fuzzy "what is an American/Japanese/European/Australian/etc car" thing.

So do the Americans. Just check out the specs for something like a Corvette.
    I wouldn't really consider the Corvette a muscle car.

Corvette is more of a sports car.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Don't forget the Cadillac engines... plenty of power.
    And the Mustang engine... again, plenty of usable power.
    The Buick engines are quite reliable; Chevy, too.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

The Buick engines are quite reliable; Chevy, too.
    And both have plenty of power.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    And both have plenty of power.
    That, too.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeret View Post
    Let's get back on point?

Okay thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it.

I'm currently looking at the Crown Victoria, however the g8 does look pretty good.

It is pushing the price range a little though. Then someone suggested a GTO. That seems pretty promising, i will look into that.

Anyways, keep up the good work I like the ideas.
    Go out and test drive a bunch of cars before you decide on one, you might not like how some drive, seating positions, etc. And don't go out and buy the first specific car model you see (i.e. the first GTO you drive) because it may have something wrong with it that you dont know about until you drive another one of the same year/options.
    Look up specs for the cars before you look at them.
    i.e. 2004 GTO's come with 350hp LS1s, 2005-2006 GTO's come with 400hp LS2s, and better brakes.
    BTW, forgot to ask how old are you? I don't know if giving the keys to a 350+hp car is a good idea for an unexperienced driver....

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    Go out and test drive a bunch of cars before you decide on one, you might not like how some drive, seating positions, etc. And don't go out and buy the first specific car model you see (i.e. the first GTO you drive) because it may have something wrong with it that you dont know about until you drive another one of the same year/options.
    Look up specs for the cars before you look at them.
    i.e. 2004 GTO's come with 350hp LS1s, 2005-2006 GTO's come with 400hp LS2s, and better brakes.
    BTW, forgot to ask how old are you? I don't know if giving the keys to a 350+hp car is a good idea for an unexperienced driver....
    Very solid advice from Slicks

Whatever its engine, those late-model GTOs are ridiculously powerful cars and best suit a prudent, mature-minded and sober driver. And this is exactly the type of seller/previous owner you want to seek out to purchase from, as evidently many GTOs have been heavily used and abused

The manual (stick) versions will offer a notably greater level of enjoyment and driving satisfaction for enthusiasts imo

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post

Whatever its engine, those late-model GTOs are ridiculously powerful cars and best suit a prudent, mature-minded and sober driver
    I'd hope any car would best suit a sober driver, no matter how powerfull.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post

Whatever its engine, those late-model GTOs are ridiculously powerful cars and best suit a prudent, mature-minded and sober driver. And this is exactly the type of seller/previous owner you want to seek out to purchase from, as evidently many GTOs have been heavily used and abused

The manual (stick) versions will offer a notably greater level of enjoyment and driving satisfaction for enthusiasts imo
    Precisely. It's like when my friend was shopping for a Mark VIII, he made sure he bought it from someone who didn't beat the living daylights out of it.

Hey Guys. Sorry it took so long to get back to all of you all, but I made a decision. I've already bought my car, so your help will no longer be needed. I appreciate all of the feedback I recieved and the support of this community. That being said,

This is my car.
    This is not my photo, Nor are those my rims.
    But this is almost exactly what it looks like.
    I'll post a real picture of my car sometime later.

Sorry to dissapoint some of you, but it suits me, and I really enjoy it.
    Any yeah, it kind of goes against my guidelines, I know.

Thanks everyone!

-Dave
    Last edited by TheBeret; 11-18-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Way to go with RWD and a convertible! Excellent choice!

Thread Information