Thread: BMW 5 Series 2008

BMW 5 Series 2008

(from BMW Press Release) High-res pictures here BMW 5 Series

Building on last year’s updates, BMW’s 2008 5 Series Sedans and Sport Wagon receive another significant freshening and, in the case of 6-cylinder models, a major boost in power and efficiency. Complementing the power increase, a thoroughly revised interior, new technological features and a freshened look front and rear ensure this benchmark collection of rear and all-wheel-drive Sedans and Sports Wagon will maintain their place at the forefront of the mid-size luxury class.

These early March 2007 release of the 2008 5 Series models represent the most significant update since their introduction in late 2003 as 2004s. Adopting the new engines introduced in the 3 Series Coupe, the 6-cylinder Sedans and Sport Wagon receive new model designations, reflecting a marked boost in power. Last year’s 525i and 525xi both get the new, 230-horsepower iteration of BMW’s remarkable aluminum/magnesium composite N52 engine, along with new 528i and 528xi nomenclature. Similarly, the 530i and 530xi become the 535i and 535xi, respectively, as the new designations signify the addition of BMW’s latest, 300-horsepower N54 twin-turbo inline-6. Included in this engine upgrade is the 2008 535xi Sports Wagon, its 300-horsepower eclipsing the old 290-hp V-8 540i and making it the most powerful Sports Wagon BMW has ever offered in the U.S. While the current 550i retains its 360-horsepower 4.8-liter V-8, the mid-size flagship receives a new Sport Package with 19-inch wheels and new body treatments, along with the updated interior and exterior freshening.

In addition to the horsepower boost, new performance features include a quicker-shifting Sport Automatic transmission for the rear-drive 535i and 550i Sedans, which also provides fingertip shift control via steering-wheel-mounted paddles. This is in addition to the new, updated STEPTRONIC that is now a no-cost option on all 5 Series models. New Sport Package contents bring 18-inch wheels and run-flat performance tires to all 6-cylinder models, including staggered-width 18-inch tires on the rear-drive 535i Sedan. The same 18-inch wheel and tire option is also available on Sport Package-equipped 535xi models as a further extra-cost addition.

New technological features also make their appearance for ’08. First among these is BMW’s Lane Departure Warning system, a camera-based system that monitors lane placement, and discreetly notifies the driver via mild steering wheel vibration of any motions that might indicate an inadvertent lane change. The convenience of Active Cruise Control is extended via a new Stop and Go feature, which enables the system to function even in heavy traffic. Active Cruise allows the vehicle to come to a complete stop without losing its setting, then accelerate back up to set speed with only a touch of the accelerator pedal from the driver. Audio options expand with a USB Adapter for an iPod or MP3 player. And BMW’s leading-edge iDrive system adds a row of programmable “favorites” buttons, which can be used for anything from radio-station presets to pre-programmed destinations with the optional navigation system.

As in the past, all BMW automobiles and SAVs include BMW Ultimate Service, which includes 4 year, unlimited mileage Roadside Assistance, 4 year / 50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty and BMW Maintenance Program at no extra cost. In addition, all 5 Series BMWs also include a 4 year membership in BMW Assist Safety Services as standard equipment.

With all these changes for 2008, BMW’s 5 Series again reasserts itself as the class leader in the midsize performance-luxury field.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

This thread is lessusefull without pics?

They've straightened and smoothed out some of the ugly lines of the 5-series, and I actually like it now. Perhaps this is BMW's realization that their new design direction is rather awful.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    This thread is lessusefull without pics?
    Did you realize that there's a link to the 08 5 Series?

The eyebrows still don't look like they belong, but overall it's a nice looking car.

I really like the rear lights now, with the "fan" design.

TBH I prefer the pre-facelift front bumper. The vent extending across the whole width of the bumper makes the car look less dynamic and less well proportioned. I like the new rear light clusters though - LEDs rock.

How do these changes affect the UK-market 5-Series?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

still no 535d touring in the US but I have heard they will bring a small number of diesel models here in early 2008.

Even as an American I can see the diesel is the best engine for this kind of car. 3.0L straight six turbodiesel 286 bhp 410 lb-ft of torque awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    TBH I prefer the pre-facelift front bumper. The vent extending across the whole width of the bumper makes the car look less dynamic and less well proportioned. I like the new rear light clusters though - LEDs rock.

How do these changes affect the UK-market 5-Series?
    We've had the changes since June or July I think. Or maybe a bit later. I'm not sure. They're already on the road here for over a month.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 10-25-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Thread Information