Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche v Tarago v Falcon

Porsche v Tarago v Falcon

Porsche versus people mover - drive.com.au

Its a rediculous comparison but the acceleration times are impressive

Some performance figures for the 3, the tarago and falcon suprised me with the 1/4 mile times

On this score, the Toyota has a significant 445kg weight advantage. But that is offset by the drive systems on the two vehicles. All-wheel drive means the Porsche should launch better than the front wheel- drive Tarago.

The dash to 60ft (18.3m), a guide to initial acceleration, confirmed this. The Porsche got off the line better, hitting 60ft in 2.251sec, compared with 2.314 for the Tarago on its fastest run. The Tarago wasn't helped by the initial wheel-spin as the front wheels struggled to launch it. But by the 330ft (100m)mark, the Tarago was on top and from then on it was no contest. The Toyota clocked a fastest time of 14.993sec, compared with 15.456sec for the Porsche - half a second difference. Terminal speed in the Tarago was 149.61kmh, compared with 141.85kmh for the Porsche.

The seat of the pants impression was that The Tarago's engine just kept on improving the faster we went, while the Porsche's power plant never quite seemed to hit its sweet spot. The Tarago's engine also felt smoother under acceleration. Gearshifts in both cars were impressively smooth. Japan one, Germany nil.

Two possible conclusions could be drawn: either the Cayenne is a very slow Porsche or the Tarago is a very quick people-mover. There's truth in both statements. Byway of comparison, the Tarago was as quick as a 1985 Brock VK Group A SS Commodore at its peak.

As we headed back to pit lane, the bemused onlookers hesitated for a second, then cheered loudly and encouraged me to light up the tyres on my way back to the start line. I felt obliged to wave back. Next was the Falcon v the Cayenne. On paper, the Cayenne has a big power advantage - 213kW versus 190kW for the Falcon - and an ever-so-slight 2Nm torque advantage.

But the Falcon delivers its maximum power and torque at lower revs and therefore sooner than the Cayenne. Maximum power comes at 5250rm for the Falcon and 6200rpm for the Porsche, while maximum torque comes in at 2500rpm for the Falcon and 3000rpm for the Cayenne.

The Falcon has a huge weight advantage here, more than half a tonne lighter. But the Porsche retains an edge through all-wheel drive, although the rear-drive Falcon should launch better than the front-drive Tarago. The Falcon's quickest time to 60ft is 2.165, about one-tenth better than the Cayenne. By 330ft, it's three-tenths quicker and its fastest time is 14.593secs , almost a second quicker. Terminal speed was 154.32km/h.

As with the Tarago, the Falcon's wheels spun initially but when they eventually bit the launch feel was impressive.
    The moral of the story dont race a V6 Tarago or a Falcon it could be embarrassing
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

What model falcon? Was it an XT or an XR6? And what Gearbox? the 4 sp auto, the 6 sp auto or a manual? Either way, we have a BF XR6 with the 6 sp auto box, Im goin huntin $200,000 cayennes so I can watch them poser drivers cry home... hehehehe
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Was a 6 speed auto, fark they are impressive times for an XT Falcon, Geez thats as quick as the GTHO. I thought I had a fairly quick charger year ago at that did a 14.7, a bog falcon would now hose it

lmao! interesting comparo
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27 View Post
    What model falcon? Was it an XT or an XR6? And what Gearbox? the 4 sp auto, the 6 sp auto or a manual? Either way, we have a BF XR6 with the 6 sp auto box, Im goin huntin $200,000 cayennes so I can watch them poser drivers cry home... hehehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by the bottom of the article
    Ford Falcon XT

RRP $34,990.
    Engine 4.0-litre inline six-cylinder.
    Transmission Six-speed automatic
    ($2500 option).
    Power 190kW at 5250rpm.
    Torque 383Nm at 2500rpm.
    Weight 1694kg.
    Definately amusing, but ultimately not surprising. I like it though. More of that.

I'm still lost here?.. My brothers car with only Cat-Back exhaust clocks 7.1 0-100 times, But a 14.5 Never and even with the exhaust system it's made a big change but that speed **** no what was that car on steroids??.

Last year when we herd of this over 200kw Tarago i was thinking then and the same now, WTF for!, Mum drives the kids in it for god sake that's just weird, Seems like they are number crazy at the moment like the Rav6. Got granny mummy cars pulling 14's down the 1/4's now..
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I never understand why people care that much about straight drag races...
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    even the dumbest of porsche consumers does not buy a cayenne for its 1/4 mile runs, not even for its lap times, and probably not for it's off-road abilities either, you'd be retarded to take 70 grand and smash it into rocks. It's for suits who need to get around in the snow...can you people get over it, i figure you would've by now!!
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

In australia, we only have snow in certain high areas for 3 months of the year.

ANYONE who drives a Cayenne is a knob. Biggest waste of money, ever.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    In australia, we only have snow in certain high areas for 3 months of the year.

ANYONE who drives a Cayenne is a knob. Biggest waste of money, ever.
    x2
    i know one guy who bought a techart cayenne purely for towing his race GT2 the damn roofline is lower than most hatchbacks, i swear. ridiculous
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
    even the dumbest of porsche consumers does not buy a cayenne for its 1/4 mile runs, not even for its lap times, and probably not for it's off-road abilities either, you'd be retarded to take 70 grand and smash it into rocks. It's for suits who need to get around in the snow...can you people get over it, i figure you would've by now!!

people in Landcruisers do Its a bit of a pisstake ie=sarcastic comparison...
    Maybe you should get over it....

i know one guy who bought a techart cayenne purely for towing his race GT2
    We have a guy out at Mallala that racers a cobra and a mustang, he tows the cobra with his turbo and his wife tows the mussy with the Cayenne S, we tow our cars with 2 clapped out vans

They shouldve done an acceleration overtaking test. The Falcon wouldve caned them even more in that one.
    I am the Stig

But it's not a Porsche.......and daddy, I want a Porsche!

Why not but a Touareg? same car, less dickhead factor
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
    Actaully i think they only buy it for the name they feel superior, It's why when someone wins big in Tatts lotto first thing they thing is i got to buy a BMW Mercedes Benz Porsche Lamborghini etc.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

When you look at the stats its not that surprising. I guess its just the Porsche factor. None the less an interesting comparison. But jesus who needs 202kw in a people carrier! ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27 View Post
    Porsche Cayenne V6
    RRP $94,700.

Maybe you just should just stick to the $100,000 Cayennes for now?

Thread Information