Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Less Is More?

Less Is More?

Audi To Drop 4.2V8 In Favour of Forced Induction V6

German car companies packing capacity, power and cylinders into their latest über-saloon is starting to become oh so predictable.
    According to reports Audi has been thinking the unthinkable and is about to put it into action. Their idea is to downsize the 4.2FSI V8 in the S4 to a V6 for the new model.

Audi is said to have been listening to the 'purists' who believe that the normally-aspirated V8, even though it has been considered to be one of the greatest engines ever created, has no place in a fast Audi.
    The 'purists' have been argueing that an old Audi trademark is a forced-induction engine, such as the S2's 2.2T and the S4's 2.7TT, and as a result the marque is now considering going back to a forced-induction V6 unit, most likely this time in 3.0litre guise, reports Fourtitude.

Many of Audi's customers appear to think that the 4.2FSI V8 is more in tune with a Sports Coupe, such as the new S5 and for this reason it is said that Audi now has a forced-induction six-cylinder in development for the new S4.

It is not yet clear whether the new engine will have 1 or Twin-Turbo's with some reports suggesting a Supercharger.
    If that isn't strange enough for you, there is even talk of using VAG’s TSI ‘Twin Charger’ technology and going for both Supercharger and Turbo.

The new Audi S4 is to be expected in a whisker less a year with just over 300 bhp.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I don't know what to say just now...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I don't know what to say just now...
    YAAAAAAAHHHH! Haha!

NO V8!

In a more realistic tone, they should just have offered two engine options instead of killing the V8, Thats like killing half of the enthusiast's base.
    Last edited by kigango123; 11-09-2007 at 02:53 PM.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

I think it's going to be a growing trend. BMW switched to forced induction and Audi thinks it's cool so they're going to do it too.

It kinda makes sense as Audi has no tradition in making high revving engines. Also it should improve emissions and consumption which is increasingly important, especially on saloons.

For cars like the R8, it's a different thing and the naturally aspirated route is better in my opinion.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

What is AWD(Quattro or ATTESSA), Has a Turbo V6 and is less than 90 grand?

is it Audi's Competitor for the skyline or is it Godzilla himself
    Last edited by kigango123; 11-08-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Ok I know what to say now, screw tradidtion, that V8 was the best thing to happen to Audi since Quattro.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Ok I know what to say now, screw tradidtion, that V8 was the best thing to happen to Audi since Quattro.
    You're right about that V8, it's superb. However, I think the best thing to happen was a change in their view of driving dynamics and its importance, that's what really made the difference in the latest fast Audis compared to the past.
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123 View Post
    YAAAAAAAHHHH! Haha!

NO V8!

In a more realistic tone, they should just have offered two engine options instead of killing the V8, Thats like killing half of the enthusiast's base.
    As opposed to killing all their profits by offering two motors of similar power in the same limited production car???
    Seriously though the V8 is the much more satisfying option. Turbo v6 equals lag, V8 equals throttle response.

Quote Originally Posted by orne View Post
    You're right about that V8, it's superb. However, I think the best thing to happen was a change in their view of driving dynamics and its importance, that's what really made the difference in the latest fast Audis compared to the past.
    Well, the heavy Engine had to be mounted at the very front of the car over the front axle, increasing understeer and imbalancing the car. twas good for some, but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    As opposed to killing all their profits by offering two motors of similar power in the same limited production car???
    Seriously though the V8 is the much more satisfying option. Turbo v6 equals lag, V8 equals throttle response.
    If it was limited production, it would have had a larger consumer base if it offered both engines and since the car was limited, not alot of engines whether superiorturbo V6 or inferiorV8 would have to be produced. Plus that would mean more options for base car, A4
    Last edited by kigango123; 11-08-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Well, the heavy Engine had to be mounted at the very front of the car over the front axle, increasing understeer and imbalancing the car. twas good for some, but not for me.
    Yeah, but Audi's perfect AWD system practically makes the understeering chassis not understeer anymore.

Bad move. The V8 engine should sell more cars for them IMO.

Screw the "purists"

V8's =/= always heavier

Audi's had crap weight distribution before the V8's anyway.

Adding a turboed engine brings absolutely no benefits but adds complexity, turbo lag and cost.

The V8 is also much cooler.

Audis are pigs when it comes to weight anyway... a few extra pounds in exchange for more power / response shouldn't harm the car that much.

If it was limited production, it would have had a larger consumer base if it offered both engines and since the car was limited, not alot of engines whether superiorturbo V6 or inferiorV8 would have to be produced. Plus that would mean more options for base car, A4
    The V8 is inferior in terms of having better throttle response, or more power??? Or is it that it can be made lighter, and packaged better because it lacks to turbo plumbing???

The profitablity would be reduced because of having to tool up for production of small batches of two different power plants, of the same level of potency, for the same car. That's just dumb...

And no, it doesn't equal more options for the base A4. Audi already offers that car with a V6 engine.

Thread Information