Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chavez loses constitutional vote

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    was that really why you used them?????
    No. It was wrong friends and a very bad situation at home.

edit:
    And probably also my stubborn character to not listen to my parents and the very easy access attributed to it (literally around the block). Anyway not very on-topic, i'd prefer to stay on topic if you don't mind.
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-03-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I honestly doubt he lost on purpose. According to sources he expected to win by a landslide. It is unfortunate, he rose to power being the people's man, and through that power he is becoming alienated from the people. He's trying to start his dictatorship too, I guess power does corrupt, eh.

It is still a win for the people.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Well have to see, after he was elected a lot of positive things became of Venezuela...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    No. It was wrong friends and a very bad situation at home.

edit:
    And probably also my stubborn character to not listen to my parents and the very easy access attributed to it (literally around the block). Anyway not very on-topic, i'd prefer to stay on topic if you don't mind.
    I asked the question directly but I was more interested in your very generalistic statement that our educational system is so poor thats kid have to find solace in drugs.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Your education is better than the US, in which i reside. I wonder what constitutes "poor" in the continent of the the leading countries...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    So even if he DOES respect the democratic way hes still an ass because you can cook up sneaky reason hes doing so. .
    I'm just saying that the guy is pretty smart. He accepts a defeat to let everyone know that "Democracy" still presides in the country, yet he does so with a 51/49 voting result to once again let everyone know that a lot of people still favor him.

He DOES control voting machines. I know the ex-wife of one of the men who ran the company that provided the machines in previous polls (sorry, I will not give any names of either persons or company)... She ALWAYS knew the results beforehand.

He still has control of the country "democratically" 'till 2012, he'll come up with some new rules before that time arrives..

Losing now will calm the country down, students will stop revolting, x-mass will be an enjoyable one, etc... and he can relax and plan the future. It's pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    What DO you know of Dutch politics ? At the moment it is utter crap and we are making 1 step forward, 3 steps back, thereby insulting a large part of our population. Making elderly live on the street, making youths grab to drugs because of the poor school system, making it financially impossible for some to study, make driving a car almost impossible for individuals and people with factory jobs, make traffic an absolute nightmare by not doing anything about it for the last decade, slowly take away our privacy rights without letting us know, sign the european "treaty" without consulting the people (fearing another NO) and still pretend like nothing is happening to the people. I hope you can imagine it makes me very pissed off.
    Go hijack your own thread please.

Well have to see, after he was elected a lot of positive things became of Venezuela...
    Can you name a few?

This is my take on Hugo's positive things at the helm of Venezuela.

- He threw off most PDVSA's (the national petroleum company) employees off after they insisted on protesting his government, in effect, voiding them of their right to protest.
    - He placed his military pals and family in almost every public post (not necesarily bad, but see next items).
    - He closed free trade of currency. A governemt agency called CADIVI which is run by the ex-military, manages all outflows and inflows of currency. They take bribes to make the flows flow, otherwise you'll never get money out of there. It was about 30%, when I cared about it. I know this for a fact.
    - He took direct control of PDVSA, making it the governments piggy bank, he also took control of all negotiations through someone in his familiy.
    - He also took control of all arms negotiations through another person in his familiy.
    - He nationalized a bunch of companies which abviously is a scheme to get cash to his buddies. Everybody knows governments are not efficient running companies, except him.
    - He has spoken without any respect to almost every President and Government in America and to the King of Spain. From the top of my memory he has messed with Colombia, Mexico, Brasil, Bolivia and of course USA. He called Bush the devil in a UN intervention! Ok, Bush is not the brightest, but come on, to call him that and there, jeez!
    - He put in place a 36 hour work week, in effect turning Venezuela into a totally uncompetitive country (except for petroleum). When they run out of it, or the price goes down (I know, both not very probable scenarios right now) they will have nothing.
    - There are ques now just like in Cuba, just to access basic food at discount prices.

Here's what I think is incredible. In the previous petroleum boom, Venezuela was robbed by the politicians of all it's riches, now just 20 years later, they are letting this guy do it all over again. I just don't get it.

So no, all people in south america do not approve of his actions, or his thoughts, or his methods.

About the thread... I think NO won by a landslide and he used his machinery to put it almost even just to "balance" the score and show he has support, being afraid that the recount the opposition would surely ask for would, put him in evidence.

Summary for the time poor: I hate the guy! In fact, I call him the south american Hitler.
    Last edited by magracer; 12-03-2007 at 09:01 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

I'll acknowledge Drakkie just quickly - what do YOU know of dutch politics? you've seen the worst side of life, and because of that you think the whole countries in the S**thole? come again?

Onto Chavez - Like Henk Said, he would have benefitted either way. He is a smart man, he knows what he's doing, and with a vote like this it's obvious that he at once satisfies an international community unhappy with him subverting democracy, but is seen to be strong and authoritative by his own party.

that last point, magracer, requires stupid amounts of planning and rigging - something which would be pointless considering the win-win nature of the outcome for Chavez.

Putin is the worst kind of Politician - a politician of fear and repression. at least previous Russians had the Communist party to answer to, this guy has no one.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    You are right, quite at the same worrying level of the situation in Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Russia and Venezuela. We are right at the edge of the cliff.
    Exactly Wouter. Drakkie seems to be more worried about The Netherlands' future! He doesn'r realise countries like Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Russia and Venezuela have much more human suffering and problems than The Netherlands.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    personally I am more worried about Poetin's win than Hugo's loss....
    I never loose! Just like the 1.8T.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    I never loose! Just like the 1.8T.
    and a (belated) happy birthday to you too....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by hec16 View Post
    P.S Guatemala is in Central America
    interesting stuff. and my opologies...out of old habit i just call everything south of America South America, my fault.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    Can you name a few?

This is my take on Hugo's positive things at the helm of Venezuela.

- He threw off most PDVSA's (the national petroleum company) employees off after they insisted on protesting his government, in effect, voiding them of their right to protest.
    - He placed his military pals and family in almost every public post (not necesarily bad, but see next items).
    - He closed free trade of currency. A governemt agency called CADIVI which is run by the ex-military, manages all outflows and inflows of currency. They take bribes to make the flows flow, otherwise you'll never get money out of there. It was about 30%, when I cared about it. I know this for a fact.
    - He took direct control of PDVSA, making it the governments piggy bank, he also took control of all negotiations through someone in his familiy.
    - He also took control of all arms negotiations through another person in his familiy.
    - He nationalized a bunch of companies which abviously is a scheme to get cash to his buddies. Everybody knows governments are not efficient running companies, except him.
    - He has spoken without any respect to almost every President and Government in America and to the King of Spain. From the top of my memory he has messed with Colombia, Mexico, Brasil, Bolivia and of course USA. He called Bush the devil in a UN intervention! Ok, Bush is not the brightest, but come on, to call him that and there, jeez!
    - He put in place a 36 hour work week, in effect turning Venezuela into a totally uncompetitive country (except for petroleum). When they run out of it, or the price goes down (I know, both not very probable scenarios right now) they will have nothing.
    - There are ques now just like in Cuba, just to access basic food at discount prices.

Here's what I think is incredible. In the previous petroleum boom, Venezuela was robbed by the politicians of all it's riches, now just 20 years later, they are letting this guy do it all over again. I just don't get it.

So no, all people in south america do not approve of his actions, or his thoughts, or his methods.

About the thread... I think NO won by a landslide and he used his machinery to put it almost even just to "balance" the score and show he has support, being afraid that the recount the opposition would surely ask for would, put him in evidence.

Summary for the time poor: I hate the guy! In fact, I call him the south american Hitler.

Ok, calling Bush the devil is no different than making an "Axis of Evil" and waging war against them with your "Coalition of the Willing", sounds biblical.

I KNOW hes freed the airwaves, and dont try to tell me hes silenced opposition because those radio stations called for his assassination and i KNOW the FCC wouldnt allow that. C'mon, you get arrested just for calling for impeachement.

The nationalization of the oil has actually brought in enough revenue to up the education budget, as well as other budgets.

Plenty of countries has shorter than 40 hour work weeks and theyre doing fine. You are calling bullshit before the problem has actually arisen, there isnt even HINTS of a problem yet. Lets wait and see before we go tearing him limb from limb...

Plenty of countries has shorter than 40 hour work weeks and theyre doing fine.
    I remember hearing that the short work week is a major part of Frances economic weakness. What is England's work week like? Whats Japans? Whats Germany's like?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Thread Information