Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada May Become the Most Expensive Place in the World to Build Cars

Canada May Become the Most Expensive Place in the World to Build Cars

Found this on Autoblog:

Until Detroit automakers signed landmark deals with the UAW that shifted retiree health care costs to the union, it was cheaper to make vehicles in Canada. Government health care saved automakers about $6 per work hour, a savings of over $12,000 a year per worker. Since Ontario produces more vehicles than any state in the Union, that represented huge savings for the Detroit Three. However, after the new deals were struck with the UAW, that advantage has disappeared. To make the situation worse, the loonie has made huge advances over the dollar. At one point you needed $1.61 in Canadian cash to equal one greenback, but new oil wealth for our northern neighbors coupled with a growing US credit crunch have brought the two currencies neck and neck. With Canada's higher taxes and unfavorable contracts, the northern frontier could soon be the world's most expensive place to build cars and trucks.

Wards Automotive thinks the CAW will soon start to feel the pinch of Canada's new economic reality. The publication sees Ontario losing 600,000 units per year by 2012, while Michigan will gain 100,000 units during the same period. With the CAW contracts expiring in 2008, it looks like another opportunity for US automakers to cut labor costs. Since CAW health care is already free, however, there is no magical fund to cut labor costs without taking cash out of worker's pockets.
    I think Ontario may well be the largest federal subdivision producer of cars in the world. Motor vehicles and parts and acessories account for 40.4% of Ontario's exports. Canada is the 9th largest car producing country in the world with 2,572,000 cars produced in 2006, the large majority of these cars being produced in Ontario.

shite man, this isn't looking too good for us, we are gonna be in some hot water soon
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

so if Ontario will be loosing 600,000 per year and michigan gaining a 100,000, will the remaining half million of cars be build elsewhere or not at all?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    so if Ontario will be loosing 600,000 per year and michigan gaining a 100,000, will the remaining half million of cars be build elsewhere or not at all?
    Who wants a Chevrolet Impala?

No one wants a Chevrolet Impala. So not built at all that is.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I concur to that, we had a rental Impala this year.......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Moving production back to the US would be the logical step.

A bummer for the Canadians though - a symptom of prosperity.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

So this will kill their engines and everything this will really hurt canada

Surely their goverment will have a back up plan right?
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

This sort of stuff is killing us lately as well. We cant continue local production without large export programs keeping us afloat, and whilst Holden previously had vast Middle Eastern exports before dabbling into UK and US exports, Ford only has NZ and South Africa. Now, theyre both looking heavily into the US for both engineering contracts and export deals. Holden could potentially be losing multi-millions because of the significant change in the US dollar since export contracts were negotiated years ago.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    This sort of stuff is killing us lately as well. We cant continue local production without large export programs keeping us afloat, and whilst Holden previously had vast Middle Eastern exports before dabbling into UK and US exports, Ford only has NZ and South Africa. Now, theyre both looking heavily into the US for both engineering contracts and export deals. Holden could potentially be losing multi-millions because of the significant change in the US dollar since export contracts were negotiated years ago.
    They could look at Europe as another potential export market.
    Visca Catalunya!

They could look at Europe as another potential export market.
    oh, dear....

oh, dear....
    With a diesel, why not?

They aren't bad cars, are they?

Or they could go the muscle car route like they did with the VXR8.
    Visca Catalunya!

With a diesel, why not?

They aren't bad cars, are they?

Or they could go the muscle car route like they did with the VXR8.
    no, but see what happened here with the Ford Scorpio and the Opel Omega, they both had no chance against our "premium" marques...if Europeans want to buy a big saloon, there are only 3 brands appropriate, all from Germany. Only some idiots buy French....or even Italian.

no, but see what happened here with the Ford Granada and the Opel Omega, they both had no chance against our "premium" marques...
    You are right. And even more with the current MPV/SUV craze.

But if the car has already been engineered every extra one they sell is going to help. So therefore a low key entry to the European market might sense.

However the new Mondeo is almost as big as the Falcon. And in some dimensions even bigger...
    Visca Catalunya!

You are right. And even more with the current MPV/SUV craze.

But if the car has already been engineered every extra one they sell is going to help. So therefore a low key entry to the European market might sense.

However the new Mondeo is almost as big as the Falcon. And in some dimensions even bigger...
    on top of that they would compete with Saab and Volvo too.....

Apparently America does. Motortrend rated it above the new Honda Accord, which makes no sense whatsoever. I was expecting the Accord to win.

Thread Information