Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And the winner is: Bluray

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I always preferred the sound of HD DVD more than Blu Ray. Blu isn't even spelled right, and HD DVD is just more descriptive.
    Blu-Ray is a very descriptive name... it says the disc uses a blue laser.

And whatever if blue isn't spelled right.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

well at least it's been cleared up now. i hate having to choose between products not knowing which might not be supported in a year.
    it is a little disconcerting that the cheapest blu ray player is the PS3 though..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It's also the best BR player on the market. Consumer grade, anyway.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    It's also the best BR player on the market. Consumer grade, anyway.
    it just happens to have a shitty games console attached to it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Philips is to have a BR player on the market in April which will sell for $349.

And since it looks like this is resolved I bet by Xmas they will be a lot cheaper as every electronics company can feel free to commit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I hear Blu Ray is superior - in terms of sound fidelity or something?
    Blu-Ray and HD DVD aren't video formats, they're storage mediums. And Blu-Ray was higher capacity from the start (there's been all these small disc manufacturers promising higher and higher capacity HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs since they came out) so it can theoretically carry higher quality video, but both were big enough to hold a 2hr movie at 1080p. (15gb for HD DVD, 27gb for Blu-Ray). Both use the same codecs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    Poor people who bought the X360's HD-DVD player.
    Not really, they're pretty cheap. And it's not exactly poor them, because they'll be able to get HD DVD movies for bargain prices. I'm just annoyed I didn't by the cheap HD CRT TV I found, cause I'd go buy a run-out HD DVD player then hit the net for a shitload of movies.

EDIT: Hmmm...Toshiba denies it is dropping HD DVD
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Blu-Ray and HD DVD aren't video formats
    I was aware. I just thought that Blu Ray had more space for sound or some shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Blu-Ray and HD DVD aren't video formats, they're storage mediums. And Blu-Ray was higher capacity from the start (there's been all these small disc manufacturers promising higher and higher capacity HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs since they came out) so it can theoretically carry higher quality video, but both were big enough to hold a 2hr movie at 1080p. (15gb for HD DVD, 27gb for Blu-Ray). Both use the same codecs as well.

Not really, they're pretty cheap. And it's not exactly poor them, because they'll be able to get HD DVD movies for bargain prices. I'm just annoyed I didn't by the cheap HD CRT TV I found, cause I'd go buy a run-out HD DVD player then hit the net for a shitload of movies.

EDIT: Hmmm...Toshiba denies it is dropping HD DVD
    On the denial...Yeah, right. They would have hated to see it leak out, now wouldn't they? That would effectively kill HD DVD sales in players and discs. Talk about baiting people into continuing to waste their money. RCA basically had the same thing happen with SelectaVision. BETA, Four-track and some other media certainly had a longer life, but at just about two years, it's the writing-on-the-wall for HD DVD.

57% off...anyone care to bite?

Amazon.com: Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD Player: Electronics

Both were again answers to questions never asked. After DVD did anyone need higher definition? Well not until they were offered it. I saw a Blu Ray disc playing some animated fluffy animal Pixar thing on a HD LCD and I was about a foot form it marvelling at the detail. Only thing is you generally sit back a few meters at least. I am surely going to get a PS3 , don’t get me wrong, and I will surely enjoy the greater reproduction but we are really gilding the lily with this stuff now.
    Anyway PS3 destined HD DVD to fail.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Crisis, Hammer has hit Nail with that point.

I have an HD-TV. And I bluntly can't see the difference when I watch TV between HD channels and their analogue equivalent.

the HD-DVD was doomed due to it's stupid name that made you sound like you were stuttering when asking for it.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

You're both blind. I sit about 7' from a 52" 1080P Mitsu DLP, and the difference from standard definition to high def is night and day.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I have an HD-TV. And I bluntly can't see the difference when I watch TV between HD channels and their analogue equivalent.
    That's not the difference in quality between SD and HD, that's Australian TV stations really only just starting to get somewhat serious about broadcasting HD TV, and also them upconverting basically everything bar a few prime-time programs.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I was watching a Brand New Program and flicked between the HD Channel (1080i) and the Non-HD (580).

I genuinely couldn't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I was watching a Brand New Program and flicked between the HD Channel (1080i) and the Non-HD (580).

I genuinely couldn't tell the difference.
    How far do you sit from the screen, and what's the screen size?

Chart: 1080P Does Matter - CarltonBale.com
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

It's a 32 inch. so it's not huge.

I probably sit 1 1/2 metres away.

Thread Information