Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula One Season Official Thread

Its not really a matter of the teams sharing the timing. The teams get supplied with most of the data in the same matter that the TV directors and official live timing do. The teams are more responsible for their own personal telemetry.

It wouldnt be the first time NASCAR has had a better way of showing fans data than F1, or that F1 has been behind in general.
    I am the Stig

Montoya at his finest

Quote Originally Posted by Crash.net
    Juan-Pablo Montoya has spoken about his difficult relationship with McLaren team principal Ron Dennis, whilst admitting that he is glad to have seen the back of Formula 1 – a sport populated, he claims, by robots.

The famously outspoken Colombian – now plying his trade in NASCAR with former Champ Car winning outfit Chip Ganassi Racing, with moderate success – began 94 grands prix in the top flight for Williams and McLaren from 2001 to 2006, before leaving abruptly to return across the Pond midway through his final season.

Though he triumphed on seven occasions, ascended the rostrum no fewer than 30 times and set 13 pole positions and twelve fastest laps in F1, Montoya is insistent that he does not miss life in the category deemed to be the pinnacle of international four-wheeled motorsport.

“In Formula 1 they want you to be a robot,” he told German publication Sport Bild. “If you have a strong personality, you will have problems. I don't regret anything about changing to NASCAR.”

Whilst recalling with a degree of warmth his four-year period spent at Williams from 2001 to 2004, the 32-year-old had some harsh words for subsequent employer McLaren-Mercedes and his team-mate at Woking, Kimi Raikkonen, and suggested that the current grand prix crop are far too quick to make up excuses.

“They complain about everything,” he stated. “Like in Monaco, they complained about reflections in the rear-view mirrors when they go through the tunnel. Me, I think ‘just get on with it and drive!'

“Many people in F1 forget that it is a sport. McLaren, for example, take it much too seriously. With Ron [Dennis], you have a nice dinner with him one evening and then when you say ‘hi' the next day, he is a totally different person.

“With Kimi it is not about whether you get along with him or not, because he never says anything – and it's difficult to know someone who doesn't talk, right?

“With BMW-Williams I had the most fun, with Patrick Head mostly. Patrick always said what he thinks – as I do. He always tried with every conversation to be polite, but by the end he could never keep it up; that was funny!”

The Bogotá native – who has notched up eight top-ten finishes from 56 NASCAR Sprint Cup starts – also added that he understood the reasons that had compelled former double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso to cut short his three-year contract with McLaren at the end of last season.

“He saw that the future of the team was Lewis Hamilton,” Montoya underlined, “not Fernando Alonso.”
    Montoya needs to keep his mouth shut. Not being successful in F1 doesn't mean you get to fire shots at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Montoya needs to keep his mouth shut. Not being successful in F1 doesn't mean you get to fire shots at it.
    He brings up valid points though.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    He brings up valid points though.
    He does, but all he's done since he left F1 is attack the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    He does, but all he's done since he left F1 is attack the sport.
    He knows the sport, so he is an expert. You have to understand how journalists work. It's not like Montoya woke up one day and decided to call crash.net to mouth of Formula 1. He probably gets questions about it all the time. What do you want him to do? Ignore all the questions or answer them?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

To be honest it doesn't seem like an attack on F1 itself, more of an attack on his former employers McLaren/Ron Dennis, and his former team mate Raikkonen.

It was obvious that he had a poor working relationship with Dennis so it's not surprising he's being critical of him. And he got a bit of a thrashing off Raikkonen when they were team mates, so it's not surprising that he harbours a bit of a grudge there too.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

So Lewis Hamilton was meant to be honoured at the Hungaroring Park of Fame, but it somehow went oh so wrong.

1. Who let this happen?

2. Why does it look nothing like him? It looks like a 40 year old man.

Source
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    So Lewis Hamilton was meant to be honoured at the Hungaroring Park of Fame, but it somehow went oh so wrong.

1. Who let this happen?

2. Why does it look nothing like him? It looks like a 40 year old man.

Source
    No doubt they will have it changed/replaced.

It (he) looks like his dad
    May the downforce be with you

Has anyone noticed how much f1 drivers, especially felipe and lewis, say "for sure" in their interviews. maybe its just me but if it isnt, it's quite annoying
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

For sure it's annoying.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

What do you guys expect from Spa?
    If Raikkonen doesn't win it there, he won't win it anywhere else.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    For sure it's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo View Post
    What do you guys expect from Spa?
    If Raikkonen doesn't win it there, he won't win it anywhere else.
    Usually I dont like Kimi, because he seems like a bit of a dick. But, I want him to win at Spa so there's a three wy champ fight again.

Kimi's got a great record at Spa, and with Ferrari's predicted strength at both Spa and Monza then he really needs to walk over the rest of the field if he's still to have a chance at this years title, not just simply win.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Kimi's got a great record at Spa, and with Ferrari's predicted strength at both Spa and Monza then he really needs to walk over the rest of the field if he's still to have a chance at this years title, not just simply win.
    I though McLaren (ironically) was stronger than Ferrari at Monza
    EDIT: But Kimi, 4 Spa wins in the last 4 years. F*cking impressive!
    EDIT2: its actually 3 in 3years, still impressive.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-03-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Thread Information