Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Father's Ancient Camera

Its going to be sad when digital takes over for good. I am taking a photography class at my college and I am the last semester they are teaching us film. So I just learned how to develop and print. Its hard but fun. Old cameras are fun to play around with, its hard to adjust to not seeing your photos right away. The fully manual is hard to get aquanited with too a bit. But you can order and send to get developed with sites online so that could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    I've only been a "car photographer" for a few years now as I've only owned a camera (my 20D) for a few years. So, I've always been digital.
    I see. I meant the original question in another way. I should have phrased it, does anyone own or used to own film SLRs?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Way back I used to use a basic 35mm Pentax point and shoot for my car show pictures. Before digital, that's about the extent of my photography.
    Cool stuff, film.

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    i was using a praktica with carl zeiss 55 mm lens for two years before i was able to buy a digital and had lots of fun with it. i say learn how to use it, it'll train your skills for digital photography as well
    I understand. My father said the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Yes that's why I see all professionals change rolls of film every 36 shots on the trackside or show floor.
    Did you use a film SLR?

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Its going to be sad when digital takes over for good. I am taking a photography class at my college and I am the last semester they are teaching us film. So I just learned how to develop and print. Its hard but fun. Old cameras are fun to play around with, its hard to adjust to not seeing your photos right away. The fully manual is hard to get aquanited with too a bit. But you can order and send to get developed with sites online so that could be useful.
    Yeah I'm thinking that it'll happen in another 20 years or so.

The full manual is hard to get adjusted to. I'm used to a semi-decent point and shoot, so there really aren't many buttons and dials to worry about. But it sure is fun. Talking about developing, I'm not even sure where to find a developer.

I'm making sure that I take a photography class in college.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Did you use a film SLR?

Yeah I'm thinking that it'll happen in another 20 years or so.

The full manual is hard to get adjusted to. I'm used to a semi-decent point and shoot, so there really aren't many buttons and dials to worry about. But it sure is fun. Talking about developing, I'm not even sure where to find a developer.

I'm making sure that I take a photography class in college.
    I have had several SLR's, two Praktikas, a Cosina, a Pentax ME Super and a Minolta with autofocus lenses. I also had a dark room for working with black and white pictures.
    To be honest I found the first digital cameras very slow and hard to operate. It is rather unnerving that the view on the object fully disappears when the camera shoots. We started with a Minolta Dimage, than the Sony DSC and it only became sort of back to normal when the Canon Digital SLRs came about, and now of course I love to work with those, although I sometimes miss the simple manual options that I had on the Pentax, which was a really lovely camera.

Some of the earliest UCP pictures were made with the Pentax and with the Minolta SLR.

I recently bought a simple point and should Panasonic digital camera, (for travelling and holidays) and although things have improved, it is still very,very slow compared to a modern SLR.

And to answer the thread's question, my father had a Rolleiflex 6x6, which he unfortunately disposed of before I got interested in photography.
    Last edited by henk4; 03-11-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    It is rather unnerving that the view on the object fully disappears when the camera shoots.
    Is this still the case on a dSLR ? I thought one of the technical properties of a SLR is that it does not ? My dad's old SLR which is the only I shot at, did not..

I recently bought a simple point and should Panasonic digital camera, (for travelling and holidays) and although things have improved, it is still very,very slow compared to a modern SLR..
    Our own Point and shit camera is indeed very very slow. However my larger S5600 is rather swift. It doesnt take longer than half a second, even when shooting RAW (files about 10-20MB). On Jpeg mode you can even shoot 100 continous shots without problems or noteworthy saving afterwards.

PS: for consumer camera's there is a very cheap shop in Maassluis, called FotoHart. Remember it, it is really worth it for most camera's.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Is this still the case on a dSLR ? I thought one of the technical properties of a SLR is that it does not ? My dad's old SLR which is the only I shot at, did not..
    I did not exactly say that. What I meant was that with introduction of the Canons I got back in the normal mode I was used to with the analog SLRs.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thats not an old camera! My dad has still got his hassleblad (shoots using 6x6 negatives)simmilar to this one

I've searched through some of the thousands of hardcopy's he has stored, I love analogue photography, Theres a grit and feeling you just cant get with digital involved, It also pays to be able to develop, enlarge etc all on your own. I really miss owning my old SLR pentax. Maybe I'll just take My dads hassleblad out one day.
    Last edited by whiteballz; 03-11-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Thats not an old camera! My dad has still got his hassleblad (shoots using 6x6 negatives)simmilar to this one

I've searched through some of the thousands of hardcopy's he has stored, I love analogue photography, Theres a grit and feeling you just cant get with digital involved, It also pays to be able to develop, enlarge etc all on your own. I really miss owning my old SLR pentax. Maybe I'll just take My dads hassleblad out one day.
    I agree with the romantic aspect of what you are saying. In fact, I think even the most advanced Canons/Nikons would still have difficulties in beating the quality of the Hasselblad/Mamiya/Pentax 6x7 negatives. However from a practical (and financial) point of view most of us are willing to sacrifice this little quality difference. If you do operate a studio though, you still might prefer the real film, like for instance Michael Zumbrunn does. I am pretty sure that Michael Firman(?) does the same.

An analogue camera is like a single shot rifle, while a digital one operates more like a machine gun. With an analogue your first shot should be right, with digital there is a fat chance that one out of ten gives the perfect results.

And by all means, take out the Hasselblad (if you can stillfind the rollfilm for it) and you will ove the results. On the other hand the size of the camera does not allow you to shoot colourslides, which we used up to the arrival of the digital area. Slides give an even better quality than negatives.
    Last edited by henk4; 03-12-2008 at 12:26 AM.

I agree with the romantic aspect of what you are saying. In fact, I think even the most advanced Canons/Nikons would still have difficulties in beating the quality of the Hasselblad/Mamiya/Pentax 6x7 negatives.
    That's probably got more to do with the differences between Large format and 35mm/APS-C format than film v digital.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    That's probably got more to do with the differences between Large format and 35mm/APS-C format than film v digital.
    No, it is exactly the reason.

I did not exactly say that. What I meant was that with introduction of the Canons I got back in the normal mode I was used to with the analog SLRs.
    Ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding By the way, I am seriously considering to buy a Pentax k100d soon, do you know anythign about it that isnt in the online reviews ?

Ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding By the way, I am seriously considering to buy a Pentax k100d soon, do you know anythign about it that isnt in the online reviews ?
    sorry, no.

By the way, I am seriously considering to buy a Pentax k100d soon, do you know anythign about it that isnt in the online reviews ?
    Great camera. 6mp Sony sensor is really good, not much noise, comfy to hold as it's not absolutely tiny and has a proper grip, decent viewfinder (though not as good as the old *ist DS or the K10D), legacy lens support (over 30yrs) and advanced sensor-based image stabilisation. You should be able to get one dirt cheap, they've just dropped it for the new K200D. Oh, and Pentax glass rocks hard.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    I am taking a photography class at my college and I am the last semester they are teaching us film. So I just learned how to develop and print.
    Honestly, I think they're wasting your time.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    Honestly, I think they're wasting your time.
    What's wrong with film?

Thread Information