Thread: car tax (UK)

car tax (UK)

dont think there is a thread on this so let the ranting begin.

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | 629 | 629 | New car tax rates for 2009

So for me (220g/km C02) my bill goes from £210 to £310 which is a fair hike. I guess the main argument is that Alistair Darling has simply aimed to tax people who cant escape extra cost (drivers will always drive, drinkers are likely to drink, smokers will smoke). Hence the joke "dont drink or drive" by tabloids is suitable.

lesser C02 bands are much cheaper which is good. I have spoken too many petrolhead friends who are selling their heavy large capacity cars and buying smaller fun cars so their is some effect of this.

Is it as simple as the government need money and need to look as if they are being envirenmentally aware - so the tax what harms envirenment. I am sure they know however that incentives > taxes in this respect.

Discuss....
    autozine.org

Goes to 310 for us too

B*stards!

Oh god, if I'm getting this Merc I'm gonna be paying through the nose :'(
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

You can see second hand prices for the RX-8 dropping already
    It's going to be £455 because it's based on CO2 levels. The Renesis engine produces a fraction of all the other pollutants of a normal ICE, but we get shafted because of global warming scaremongering
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

if I understand this correctly this represents the total annual road tax, or are there any other components?
    Anyway my car would come in 175 pound range. (it is even mentioned as a an archetypical car...)
    If 175 pound would be my annual road tax I would feel in paradise. I now pay 330 Euro, every quarter.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Does anyone know which bracket a 1992 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Auto (non-Turbo) would be in?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    On the other hand though, the Government's new "Showroom Tax" for high CO2 producing cars should make well looked after pre-owned cars more appealing to punters...
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    It's going to be £455 because it's based on CO2 levels. The Renesis engine produces a fraction of all the other pollutants of a normal ICE, but we get shafted because of global warming scaremongering
    perhaps N0x etc should be considered too

Its odd, my tax letter from dvla says my car does 221 g/km, 4 from the current highest band, a £190 saving this year.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    if I understand this correctly this represents the total annual road tax, or are there any other components?
    correct. the governments only other way to tax cars is through fuel duty and showroom tax proposal
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post

correct. the governments only other way to tax cars is through fuel duty and showroom tax proposal
    you lucky bastards, what are you complaining about.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    If 175 pound would be my annual road tax I would feel in paradise. I now pay 330 Euro, every quarter.....
    Holy hell! Your quarterly rate equates to less than Canberra's annual fee for combined motor vehicle registration (road tax) & compulsary third party (personal injury) insurance - and this doesn't include the road tax % rebate available to LPG vehicles & hybrids

Its a complete joke really coming from the government which claims to be doing it to cut CO2 levels, whilst at the same time using the money not to invest in improving roads but to pay for new coal fired power stations over the next 15 years at the same time as turning down other green solutions (including local councils banning rooftop wind turbines).
    I wonder is alistair darling enjoys bieng one of the most hated men in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Holy hell! Your quarterly rate equates to less than Canberra's annual fee for combined motor vehicle registration (road tax) & compulsary third party (personal injury) insurance - and this doesn't include the road tax % rebate available to LPG vehicles & hybrids
    Our system is based on the weight of the car and the engine/fuel type. Petrol cars have the lowest tax, while diesel/lpg cars are heavily taxed, but fuel taxes are much lower than on petrol.
    The authorities are currently considering a new system whereby each car would pay road tax according to the amount of kms covered and differentiated according to time and place. For this purpose each car would have to be fitted with a GPS system (consumer pays of course...). Of course the absolute level of the price per km will also depend on the level of "greeness" of the car. In return the special sale tax that we have here will be abolished as well as the road tax....
    Earlier this year the Government already introduced a CO2 based sales tax, which resulted in price increases of over 10,000 euros for some of the usual suspects....

I think Canberra's rego costs are only to do with weight for cars, and capacity for bikes.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

got my renewal letter the other day and my car is in band F so i can either pay £112.75 for 6 months or £205 for the year. next year it'll be £260 so not all that bad for me really. i'm quite happy, if only my insurance was cheaper
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Thread Information