Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 Sport Truck Pre-Production 2008

^ he wants a ferrari camino
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Its laughable. To me it looks just like the old El Camino. However, the numbers are respectable, expecially the payload capacity. I would be a fan if they managed to 1. make it a 4 seater and then 2. made it midengined.
    Yeah! with vertical takeoff and a spa bath too!!! Then I would be a fan.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Err, what? That would be the most pointless vehicle ever invented.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    Too late:
    2/. Where would the mid engine go?
    and
    3/. If it was mid engined, how could you ALSO have a payload?
    I'm not real sure what you want
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ^ he wants a ferrari camino
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 03-25-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Pontiac just answered a question no one in America asked. Furthermore, why don't they shit-can the Pontiac division and just call 'em Holden here too- since all they're doing these days is slapping a Pontiac grille on a Holden. Think of the advertising dollars they could save.
    To confusing we are led to believe by people that refuses to accept a change within GM.
    As much as i would like to see them called holden in the U.S, I have to say to make life easy calling them pontiac or chev makes life easier to sell them for less confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I dunno. There seems to be a big following for the El Camino. So it might be popular. The only thing is, with gas prices so high, it'll only rise higher.

For how much longer will high powered, high displacement cars be popular in America and Australia?

Makes no sense to continue the trend. I certainly love power and I certainly welcome the higher quality, way more exciting Australian cars in America though.
    It will feel like a car, And trust me until you peer over your shoulder you wouldn't know any difference.
    It is offering people that wont to hold a touch more but only need 2 seats and simply a sedan or huge 4wd type would just be a waste. Ad to that it can perform with performance sedans it's a total package,
    Could be called a 2 door car with overly large boot and carrying capacity.

Also by 2010 you will have available the V6 direct injection motor that's in the Cadillac now with 6 speed auto.
    Fuel will be down 15-20%.

But on your other question about fuel prices and large motors, In OZ i cant speak for the U.S, V8 sales are at all time highs even with fuel a record highs.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    There's always the V6 versions. And some of the more basic versions might be popular there as well with tradies who don't need a big full on truck like an F250 or similar.
    Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    To confusing we are led to believe by people that refuses to accept a change within GM.
    As much as i would like to see them called holden in the U.S, I have to say to make life easy calling them pontiac or chev makes life easier to sell them for less confusion.

It will feel like a car, And trust me until you peer over your shoulder you wouldn't know any difference.
    It is offering people that wont to hold a touch more but only need 2 seats and simply a sedan or huge 4wd type would just be a waste. Ad to that it can perform with performance sedans it's a total package,
    Could be called a 2 door car with overly large boot and carrying capacity.

Also by 2010 you will have available the V6 direct injection motor that's in the Cadillac now with 6 speed auto.
    Fuel will be down 15-20%.

But on your other question about fuel prices and large motors, In OZ i cant speak for the U.S, V8 sales are at all time highs even with fuel a record highs.
    The V-6 will be handy then.

What I'm talking about was that people here buy the G8 for the sake that it's a G8- not because they need a bed to carry stuff, but that they want it because it's a modern El Camino. It would just be a waste of gas for those people, just like the SUV craze.

And yes, V8s I think are still selling like hotcakes, especially when they're in SUVs.

I never noticed how bad fuel economy of SUVs were until I went to the auto show. Many of the large SUVs and pickups showed highway MPG under 20.

^ the MPG is slightly better than the sedan, which is respectable in itself. the base V8 will have the active fuel management etc still.
    it should be slightly cheaper to buy as well, with minimal change in ride/handling and slightly lighter
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Im was really surprised to read that you guys like how it looks. I literally gaged when I saw it. Its looks so lame to me. Its like the hhr or pt cruiser....barf

not for me at all, I'll take an old el camino over this ANY day.
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

This one looks good, the Holden version looks heaps better. This is still the best though:

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

VE and VY is the only generation where i think HSV stuffed the looks up compared to standard SS (too fussy/complicated)..not greatly so, but just not as clean

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    VE and VY is the only generation where i think HSV stuffed the looks up compared to standard SS (too fussy/complicated)..not greatly so, but just not as clean
    True, couldn't agree more.

I think what happened was that Holden started making the SS look pretty darn good, leaving nowhere to go for HSV except OTT. Their taillights are IMO woeful - too much like they sourced them on eBay thru some Hong Kong Speed Shop.

Maybe if they backed off on the wheel design, the body kit wouldn't look so OTT. (or vice versa?) I just wonder how good they'll look in 3 or 5 years? Or will we have to wait 20 years (like the Walkinshaw Commodore) for the next generation of car nuts to overlook its looks and declare it 'collectable'

It's still a great car for its use, pretty good value, and goes like a cut cat. Not to mention its prowess in 'circle work'!!
    Last edited by BarneyBoy; 03-26-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Pontiac just answered a question no one in America asked. Furthermore, why don't they shit-can the Pontiac division and just call 'em Holden here too- since all they're doing these days is slapping a Pontiac grille on a Holden. Think of the advertising dollars they could save.
    Maybe nobody in Kansas City drives El Caminos or Rancheros. But hell there is a huge following for both of them here and when I lived in Ohio as well.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

The yank version looks shit, aus version looks good
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Pontiac G8 ST

Pontiac G8 ST at a Glance

Sports car with truck-like cargo and towing capabilities
    V8 engine with Active Fuel Management linked to six-speed automatic
    74-inch cargo bed and 3,500 lb towing capacity
    Estimated fuel economy near top of vehicles with comparable cargo/towing capacity
    Available in late 2009 as a 2010 model
    Detroit - After sifting through more than 18,000 possibilities, Pontiac has chosen to keep it simple, naming the recently revealed G8 sport truck the “ G8 ST.”

Thousands of fans submitted suggestions during a “Tame the Name” promotion, which delayed a final announcement until each possibility was considered and cleared for possible trademark use.

“Frankly, we were blown away by both the volume and quality of the names that were submitted,” said Craig Bierley, BPG product marketing director for cars and crossovers. “’ G8 ST’ was one of the most popular suggestions, plus we noticed a far broader trend toward simple, easy-to-remember names.”

“El Camino” was also a sentimental favorite, given the G8 ST’s resemblance to the classic Chevy.

“We actually thought very long about El Camino,” said Bierley. “In the end, we felt it was more appropriate to honor the El Camino’s unique place as part of Chevy’s heritage and not use that nameplate on a Pontiac.”

Perhaps the ultimate reflection of the blurring line between cars and trucks, the G8 ST will create a unique niche segment in the marketplace: a sports car with truck-like cargo and towing capabilities. Sharing the basic architecture and 361 hp V8 engine as the G8 GT performance sedan, it will offer a 73.9-inch cargo bed that has 42.7 cubic feet of cargo space and can carry a payload of 1,000 pounds (453 kg) or tow a 3,500-pound (1,587 kg) trailer.

Thanks to its six-speed automatic transmission and Active Fuel Management system, the G8 ST should offer some of the best fuel economy numbers for V8-powered vehicles with similar cargo/towing ratings while still turning in zero-to-60 times of 5.4 seconds.

The G8 ST will be available in late 2009 as a 2010 model and will be backed by GM’s industry best 100,000 mile, 5-year powertrain warranty. Pricing will be announced closer to availability.
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Pontiac G8 ST #2
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

doesn't look too bad, will probably sell okay considering the limited numbers that will go on sale.

Thread Information