Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get your monitor colours right?

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    All monitors are slightly different, different LCDs have different qualities, different contrasts, different everything elses... old CRTs are more washed out, cheaper LCDs are more crappy, there's no default setting to make everything look the same on every monitor.
    Which is why you buy/use something like a Huey. You can't make everyone else's monitor "correct", but you can make yours. If yours is right, it'll be as close as possible for everyone else.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Not necessarily. A higher end CRT can show just as good as recent LCD at the cost of size.
    I meant an old CRT is more washed out than a new one. Elsewise, yea, in some ways CRT tech is better than LCD.

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    Which is why you buy/use something like a Huey. You can't make everyone else's monitor "correct", but you can make yours. If yours is right, it'll be as close as possible for everyone else.
    True, but there's no way have a single set of settings that works for everyone's monitors. Most of the time it's hard to tell if your monitor is off, as you generally get used to it as you go. I had an old CRT that got stupidly dark, but I didn't notice it until a friend showed me some artwork. It was a dark picture, but alls I saw was blackness. I ended up using the gamma corrector that came with photoshop 6 to increase the brightness.. until the monitor for too broken.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I meant an old CRT is more washed out than a new one. Elsewise, yea, in some ways CRT tech is better than LCD.
    Okay, understood.

Interestingly, my slightly newer KDS LCD monitor is crappier than my Nokia monitor from 2002ish.

The blacks on the KDS are washed out, while the older, heavier Nokia monitor shows great.

Only problem with my monitors is that they're not widescreen. That would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

Only problem with my monitors is that they're not widescreen. That would be sweet.
    yeah, totally.

Speaking of monitor calibration, I just went and got some prints made. However, since I hadn't calibrated my monitor in probably a week or more, they're all darker than they should be. Damn it. $20 down the drain and now I have to re-edit a bunch of pics.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Thread Information