Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 599 vs Bugatti Veyron street race- Very Interesting

I think that it would be naive to say that all speed kills or that speed doesn't kill. There are incidents of both. The worse though, is speeding through a construction zone. That is a dumb thing yet in America people do it all the time, even with the standard double of a fine and likely jail time.

None of us were there and who knows maybe they made sure it was deserted before they did their little joy ride, maybe they were only going to punch it for a mile or two of road they could see was deserted and knew very well.

I'm not defending them, it was a stupid thing to do but we don't know maybe they were more cautious. I doubt they were like 'Hey we're richer than anybody we can do whatever we want, lets go out racing at 140mph and see if we can kill the poor!'

Falcon, thank you for sending me to wreckedexotics.com I didn't go through every single photo, but I went through a lot and it pretty much proved my point. I could not find one single picture of someone driving an exotic car over the speed limit and hitting and killing or injuring the occupant of another car (I'm not saying the pictures aren't there, but I couldn't find any). Now lots of drivers hurt or killed THEMSELVES, but that's not the point. However, a lot of drivers and cars were damaged going the speed limit, by other cars, or because of alcohol.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

My opinion on this is kind of in the grey area. While I agree about the hazards of inattentiveness at the wheel, I'm not going to condone absurd speeds at the wheel. If someone wants to go 100 mph in a 65 zone when there's no traffic, that's fine. If you've had 2 beers at dinner and are driving your family home, I'm pretty sure you'll be alright. However, don't drive after staying awake for 40 hrs straight. Don't drive after you've knocked back a 12 pack. Don't drive 160 mph on a highway. And please, don't street race in residential areas or crowded highways.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought I was on UltimateCarPage not UltimateObeytheSpeedlimitPage?

How often do you hear about somebody pushing a supercar’s performance on a public road to the limit and killing or seriously injuring someone else? Like never. Sure you'll hear about people in supercars totaling their cars and killing or seriously injuring themselves or the passenger, but other people? I'm sure it's happened, but I can't remember ever reading about it.

Now what about the elderly who forget to take their medication and pass out at the wheel while going the speed limit and kill someone? You can probably find a couple dozen stories about that. Or what about people who drive at the speed limit and talk on their cell phones? You can probably find a couple hundred articles about them killing over drivers. Finally, what about people who get drunk and drive the speed limit? You can probably find a few thousand articles about them killing other drivers.

Speed doesn’t kill, inattentiveness does.
    I think there's a fundamental difference. They were racing each other not simply driving fast.

You see when you race someone you're paying attention to him or her which at least partly distracts you from what happening on the road. While when you're driving fast you're fully concentrating on what's happening around you.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    My opinion on this is kind of in the grey area. While I agree about the hazards of inattentiveness at the wheel, I'm not going to condone absurd speeds at the wheel. If someone wants to go 100 mph in a 65 zone when there's no traffic, that's fine. If you've had 2 beers at dinner and are driving your family home, I'm pretty sure you'll be alright. However, don't drive after staying awake for 40 hrs straight. Don't drive after you've knocked back a 12 pack. Don't drive 160 mph on a highway. And please, don't street race in residential areas or crowded highways.

That is all.
    Agreed.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Falcon, thank you for sending me to wreckedexotics.com I didn't go through every single photo, but I went through a lot and it pretty much proved my point. I could not find one single picture of someone driving an exotic car over the speed limit and hitting and killing or injuring the occupant of another car (I'm not saying the pictures aren't there, but I couldn't find any). Now lots of drivers hurt or killed THEMSELVES, but that's not the point. However, a lot of drivers and cars were damaged going the speed limit, by other cars, or because of alcohol.
    So you expect a website without a warning to show pictures of maimed people? this site show after the accidnt usually when the car is ready to be towed...also i suppose its ok if they risk other peoples live and then hurt themselves.

If you wish to see maimed people youll likly have to look elsewhere because these pictures do exist but wrecked exotics is there to suprise and make you think what a waste not show you the horrors that can happen that simply put is not entertainment which wrecked exotics is aimed at.

Auxin so you think speed limits arent there for a reason? or do you think because you drive a fast car it means you dont have to obey them?

As i said these guys are obviously not short of money a track day is not likly out of their reach.....
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

with that much money you could probably book the track all for yourself (obviously lacking in skill,common sense), which would be more fun than dodging grandmas on the road.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    So you expect a website without a warning to show pictures of maimed people? this site show after the accidnt usually when the car is ready to be towed...also i suppose its ok if they risk other peoples live and then hurt themselves.

If you wish to see maimed people youll likly have to look elsewhere because these pictures do exist but wrecked exotics is there to suprise and make you think what a waste not show you the horrors that can happen that simply put is not entertainment which wrecked exotics is aimed at.

Auxin so you think speed limits arent there for a reason? or do you think because you drive a fast car it means you dont have to obey them?

As i said these guys are obviously not short of money a track day is not likly out of their reach.....
    Actually if you read the descriptions it gives you an idea of how the accident happened and if there was a fatality.

Here's a site that, you know, might be a little more up your ally: Barbie Forum.com

Have you forgotten about the episode during last year's Gumball race, where two elderly people got killed in the Balkans? And where the driver of the "super"car tried to flee?
    One would actually expect that owners of supercars are capable and responsible when driving their cars. The fact that they may only kill or hurt themselves provides no excuse for actually doing that, as the social costs of such events also count.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Actually if you read the descriptions it gives you an idea of how the accident happened and if there was a fatality.

Here's a site that, you know, might be a little more up your ally: Barbie Forum.com
    But they dont actually show the fatality.

Well id expect a fruit like yourself to be advertising for that forum mayby you should stop looking at toys and actually consider the real world around you people are frail and your either incredibly naieve or really f*cking stupid to play down what the possible effects of crashing a supercar (or anycar for that matter) can cause.

A high speed accident involving a car hitting a person is at around 35 km/h which doesnt feel like much when your driving but when your being hit with it the damage is pretty serious. And even though cars are getting safer all the time they can only take so much shock before the saftey cell is pretty much useless.Ive also worked as a wardsman in a hospital and ive seen what can become of high speed car chases it destroys people and families (I have lost friends and have some friends who will never be the same thanks to this kind of shit) and on the same level here this is negative plublicity to a culture I like alot anyone speeding and getting media coverage is makeing all car enthusiests look like total f*ckwits. Being so self centred you would of never even though of that.

You seem to stoop to even lower levels of maturity as we continue talking so ill be breif I now consider you a f*ckwit and I hope one day you use your daddys seemingly endless supply of money to prehaps buy a clue.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    That is one massivly immature view of the sitution.
    See, I think your's is the massivly immature view of the situation. Who in the world taught you that big speed is a bad thing? It wasn't that long ago that roads all over Germany allowed high speed motoring. Italians largely ignored high-speed driving, Australia still had a couple roads without limits.

Hell, even in the US Montana ditched their speed limit until the supreme court made them re-institute. Every year that Montana didn't have an absolute speed limit on their higheays the fatality rate and rate of incident went down. Every year since it was reinstated it's gone up. That's some pretty big evidence that you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Speed limits on highways are a flawed anacronisim kept around for the sake of revenue generation.
    Last edited by bruxell; 06-06-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell View Post
    See, I think your's is the massivly immature view of the situation. Who in the world taught you that big speed is a bad thing? It wasn't that long ago that roads all over Germany allowed high speed motoring. Italians largely ignored high-speed driving, Australia still had a couple roads without limits.

Hell, even in the US Montana ditched their speed limit until the supreme court made them re-institute. Every year that Montana didn't have an absolute speed limit on their higheays the fatality rate and rate of incident went down. Every year since it was reinstated it's gone up. That's some pretty big evidence that you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Speed limits on highways are a flawed anacronisim kept around for the sake of revenue generation.
    And yet they all changed.

Part of the problem is that people cant be trusted to behave also germanys autobahn was regulated its depended on your dirving experiance and lisence and there was precious little road on the autobahn that had no speed limit and even the places that do have open speed limits also have specific lanes for speeds being travelled you just dont open it up and weave through traffic.

Italy is a common joke in nearly all of europe and is said to of allowed AC-DC in their peak to buy 240z between them all and to speed through the streets and play bumper cars with the worlds best selling sports cars at that time in history.

Australia does not have limitless roads anymore there where quite a few fatalitys there the road is not totally striaght and far from safe epescially with few lanes and alot of very large slowish moving road trians providing massive obsticles and blocking alot of vision when your right up behind or beside them.

How about posting these statistics? your claiming them id like to see them in writing from a reliable source.

And im not doubting that these systems work our unposted sections of roads by defualt are 50 km/h and they used to be 60 and rate of incident has gone up since the change but the problem is alot of the accidents happen because people are stupid and a large portion of whats left happens when people avoid problems,fines,police and so on when their not behaveing BUT these roads are posted and when people follow the road rules and do what their supposed to do youll find that people rarely have car accidents.

So my immature train of thought is obey the law not do anything stupid and most of the time all will be well. also this will be a 3rd time these guys have money they can afford a track day but instead seeking cheap thrills they do it on the street in areas posted much slower then they where going.

And your mature train of thought is to use dated info that has been changed in all but one example and that its ok to drive as fast as your car can handle

Good to see the BMW police car put a stop to this.

Is anyone else not surprised the French guy surrendered so easily?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

lmao, i didn't notice that.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information