Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should 'Quail buy Lotus Europa?

Is it a stromberg or weber head on the engine?
    The Stromberg head is not so common but IIRC it was used a bit on the europas.
    Though, they are the least valuable of the two.

The difference between them is that the Stromberg is fitted with 2 SU carbs and the weber head has of course two webers.

It's a stromberg head, and I'm doing it. I've got a good chance at getting a better job working with the city government (I've paid my dues as a city beat journalist — it's sell-out time) and my offer of $16,000 has been accepted pending my satisfaction with the car's mechanical condition.

Now comes the "my satisfaction" bit. The car is, as I suspected, in very good unrestored condition with what I'm told is an accurate 41,000 miles on the clock.

I'm being told that it's a big valve head, but I distinctly remember seeing "Lotus Twin Cam" molded on the valve cover when I gave it a first lookover. As I understand it, the Big Valve engine was offered from 1972; this car has a Jan 1971 build plate. 100 some-odd horsepower still gives the Europa a better-than-100hp/ton power-to-weight, and power's not of great importance with an early Lotus anyway, and from what I've gathered from the market in America, doesn't have significant bearing on price.

So, to get to it, I'd love any advice on what weak points to look for. For $16,000, I demand a Europa be in very good mechanical order, and I've got contacts with folks in the British Car Club of Arkansas who would go with me to check it out (and I'm decently sharp myself, and devouring everything I can get my hands on about Europa ownership).

Also, the shop manager is a friend of mine who I trust to perform a full inspection, and, hopefully as he's getting no commission on the deal, he'll shoot me straight.

And I'll be able to keep my STi also, but I'd probably sell it in the next year or so as the Lotus would better scratch my gearhead itch and I've already got enough old (and mostly worthless) cars to worry about.

What should I look for in the inspection? Further advice?
    I'm erudite ;-)

It really looks like you are in control, so no, not much can go wrong there. Looking forward to your first experiences with the car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

And some pictures.

With that and your old SL yopu've got a perfect a perfect 70's garage.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

good to hear you're going for it
    curious as to how fuel efficient it will be
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Congratulations on your choice!
    The Europa is a dream for me to own one day to, so I have to admit I envy you for being in the position to buy one.

You should try to get hand of this book:
    Amazon.ca: Lotus Twin-Cam Engine: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Development, Restoration and Maintenance of the Lotus-Ford Twin-Cam Engine: Miles Wilkins: Books

It' s "out of print" as it says on amazon, but you can search a bit better than I did. It will tell you the most you will need about the engine.
    I have it myself, and it's an interesting read, if you want to learn the Twin Cam inside and out. It's pictured and well explained, from history to overhauling. It's been a while since I have read in it, but if you wonder something specific atm i can check it out for you. I had a Lotus TC in my old racecar, and it is a very nice engine. Mine was in pretty tuned condition though, and had a Weber head. For spare parts for the engine, Burton Power in UK is very good alternative, but a bit expensive. Though IMO a Lotus can't get "too expensive" parts. It's a piece of automotive history you are buying.
    Send me a PM if you wonder something about the engine, I have some useful links that I can dig up if I want.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 06-25-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Congrats, and I'm glad you get to keep your STi for atlist another year. I'm quite sure that you'll keep it for even longer but only time and economy will tell.

Definatly joining on that report on the Europa and everything that sparks as soon as you get it !

I would have suggested goingto carsurvey.org for more info from other owners, but there's only one review there on a 73 Europa.

Have you set a date for this purchase yet ?
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

The Europa's brake master cylinder was hopelessly pitted, and a new one is on order. As being able to slow down is an important part of the Lotus experience, I'm waiting until the new parts are fitted before arranging a test drive/mechanical checkup.

There are two shops in Central Arkansas that cater to old British cars. When the Europa's brakes are sorted out, I'll take it to McLeod's British Cars in Maumelle. I've visited the shop before. The guy who runs it is a top-notch petrolhead. I've also been talking to a British Motoring Club of Arkansas member with a S2 Elan about the twincam engine. He and the rest of the BMCA will be a great resource, and membership is only $30/month.

My wife is a little irritated about this deal, as it will likely involve selling the Subaru at some point. Old Subaru is our only four-seater, so when I get my 380SL back on the road and if I buy the Europa, we'll have a driveway stuffed with three (count-em — three) strictly two-place cars. That's just the way I like it, but our family unit could grow (nudge, nudge; wink, wink).

I'm expecting the new Girling brake cylinder to be fitted late next week. My mechanic and ever-so-slightly dangerous friend Keith Vardaman said he could have fitted an "about-right" master cylinder, but didn't want the car "monkey ****ed." Right, then.

He's quite a mechanic. He's just shut down his shop in Conway, as he's landed a mechanic's dream job: fettling and restoring the cars in a millionaire industrialist's private collection in Little Rock. Right now he's setting straight a Shelby Muskrat GT350 bodyshell that the previous shop manager monkey ****ed. It'll cost about $45,000 to set the car straight, restore it in mild resto-mod fashion and finish it in its original gold stripes over black paintwork (but not a Hertz car, interestingly). It was bought for a song, and will be sold at auction for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000.

It's interesting to see how the collector car restoration business works first-hand.

In the shop also are a TRV Taimar, a Triumph Spitfire GT6, what has to be one of the last "barn find" Porsche 356 SCs (all numbers matching and with every scrap of original trim intact), a Triumph TR4 in period race trim (original '60s racer, but very ratty), two Alfa GTAs, a Lancia Beta Scorpion, a delectable E-25 M3 and a Fiat 600 that's destined to have a Hyabusa superbike engine fitted — and one black Lotus Europa Big Valve that's going to be the property of one gearhead gamebird if its mechanical condition checks out.

Squawk, gentlemen. Squawk.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Who needs kids? They cost money better spent on cars.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

here here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Who needs kids? They cost money better spent on cars.
    hm, many replies are hovering below the surface....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

A very, very valid point, Wouter. But my wife has grown bored of our two cats, and she likes babies even more than I like sportscars, and almost as much as my folks like grandkids.

How does a fragile British thoroughbred sportscar fit into this picture?

Perfectly, I think.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Absolutely perfectly, once you have the Lotus you will have to tell her that you can't afford the kids... Relos who want them after that point will have to pay for them themselves
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Still waiting on those brake parts. I've convinced the wife that we can put up one of those tiny metal buildings beside the house to keep it in. At 1,600 pounds, it wouldn't be a problem to drive it over the yard/plumbing, and she could keep her car in our only garage.

With any luck, I'll be able to take the car for a checkup late next week.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Well done 'Quail!
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information