Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abarth coming to the U.S

Abarth coming to the U.S

IL Insider: Fiat 500 Coming to U.S. as an Abarth?

The Fiat 500 Abarth that is, as a standalone brand as i read in C/D. But i pulled that Edmund's article out of the tubes anyway.

Also noteworthy, Fiat will supposedly be making Fiats in the U.S soon, no word on where.
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 07-31-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    I'll be completely honest. I don't like the car, and I'm generally not a big fan of Fiat.

HOWEVER! The fact that they perceive a need for the car in the US is a very good sign! I'd love to see other companies follow and make more small sporty hatches.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

i'd say it's a good move on fiat's part, i think north america needs more european cars

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    i'd say it's a good move on fiat's part, i think north america needs more european cars
    I agree, let's liven up this place. I wouldn't buy it but if I were thinking about a honda fit, yaris, or something in that range I might go for it.
    You can call me scott.

FGA already will already be facing a lot of problems when they re-introduce Alfa Romeo. Abarth/Fiat would probably be streching it too much.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I thought that they would also be building cars in America too, possibly with a deal from Chrysler. This is from my copy of Car and Driver too.

My opinion on the Fiat 500 is that it's another retro mini car, a couple years late. The VW Beetle was one of them. Look at how popular they are today. I don't see many on American roads really. Same with the Fiat/Abarth 500. Not many Americans can instantly know what exactly it is anyway. It does not the same cult car status as the Mini or the Beetle, I would say.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-01-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I thought that they would also be building cars in America too, possibly with a deal from Chrysler. This is from my copy of Car and Driver too.

My opinion on the Fiat 500 is that it's another retro mini car, a couple years late. The VW Beetle was one of them. Look at how popular they are today. I don't see many on American roads really. Same with the Fiat/Abarth 500. Not many Americans can instantly know what exactly it is anyway. It does not the same cult car status as the Mini or the Beetle, I would say.
    The only retro car that has been really successful is the Mini probably because apart from the cute looks it had some substance.

The New Beetle may have been successful in the US but it completely failed in Europe.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

exactly. the alfa mito should do better though, as americans are very much in love with spin-offs. you know, batman & iron man, transformers and transmorphers, mini and mito...
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The only retro car that has been really successful is the Mini probably because apart from the cute looks it had some substance.

The New Beetle may have been successful in the US but it completely failed in Europe.
    Didn't know that it fell flat on its face. It's typical though, it's not all that useful of a car anyway. The New Beetle RSi was interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    exactly. the alfa mito should do better though, as americans are very much in love with spin-offs. you know, batman & iron man, transformers and transmorphers, mini and mito...
    Revenge of the bad sequels!

Look at which market the cars were FIRST designed for and the reasons are clear
    Just like that 50s retro people carrier thing
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Look at which market the cars were FIRST designed for and the reasons are clear
    Just like that 50s retro people carrier thing
    Hey, it's not our fault if Americans can't tell a bad car.
    Visca Catalunya!

FGA already will already be facing a lot of problems when they re-introduce Alfa Romeo. Abarth/Fiat would probably be streching it too much.
    Alfa didn't fare too well when they were here.
    ...but if they bring in plenty of hatches, and some hot hatches, I'm sure they'll do fine

If I was FIAT I'd skip bringing Alfa to this country and go straight to establishing FIAT dealerships that sold (for now) only 500s as a competitor to the Mini.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

care to tell us why?
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    care to tell us why?
    I assume you're asking me. Last time I was in Italy I rented an Alfa Romeo 159 JTD. I loved it. Fun to drive, great clutch, great gear box, plenty of pep - a truly wonderful machine for zipping around narrow European streets and storming through roundabouts. Americans simply won't get it.

However, I do think the 500 can sell in the United States. Not because Americans will truly understand the car, but simply because it's inexpensive, distinctive and has excellent fuel economy.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Thread Information