Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
I don't know but then probably only in Oz the suspension was fitted with explosives. I have heard many stories, but never this one. And the turbo version should be nice too.
Yes they are nice and good value too .. but the concept of 'bang for your buck' takes on a whole new dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiefrogs #1

So I replaced the clutch in the Xantia over the weekend,

Jan was very pleased to have it back & going after weeks of a slipping clutch..........
I set off for town with Jan this morning..........
dropped her off at school, did a few things around town, had a bit of driving around here & there to get a few things.
About 11.00am the mobile rings..... pull over......turn the car off..... answer phone..... its Darryl from Tassie, so we have a chat...... after about 10 minutes of chatting in the stationary car.......

THUD!!!!! and the left side of the bonnet suddenly bulges upward about 6 inches.

I'd heard about this....... but I'd expected it might happen one day while driving over a bumpy track, or tearing around a corner......
But 10 minutes after pulling up from 50km/h on a straight smooth road.

So I got my neighbour to bring my car trailer in......

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow ?
I'll take a couple of pics just to scare all the Xantia owners.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by #2
Could be worse! Here's a double plugger from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by #3
just keep an eye on the Fowles auction sites. whenever you see a Xantia looking like this (yes I know it's an XM, it's the only photo I could find in my 30second search). You'll know it's due to strut failure.

UGLY isn't it
Dom, they don't do it at a certain mileage, they just do it when the rubber perishes. So, go out there NOW, and check your car.
The replacement rubbers that citroen now supply have been modified so they won't do this in future, so replace them as a pair.
Just doing one is a FALSE ECONOMY

john s
_______

Hi John,

And yes I agree, do NOT just replace one side, even though they are quite expensive down under I would NOT feel happy driving a car that had just popped one strut top and only had the one replaced - the other one is almost certainly close behind....and the result of it happening when hitting a bump at high speed could be fatal... (I'm surprised people havn't been KILLED by these god awful pieces of design, which surely merited a recall for modified strut tops)

Regards,
Simon
Aussiefrogs info threads

Thud!!!!!

Do your Xantia struts explode??

Xantia struts - aussiefrogs

(my mother-in-law drives a smooth green Xantia turbo-diesel .. should I tell her?)