Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar to Return to Le Mans?

Jaguar to Return to Le Mans?

It appears as though Ratan Tata, boss of Tata Motors and therefore Jaguar, has expressed interest in a meeting at the end of July for Jaguar to return to Le Mans. This is all very preliminary - there is no timetable as of yet.

More info at Autoblog and Endurance-Info.

may be he could buy out Lavaggi for a starter....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    may be he could buy out Lavaggi for a starter....
    Buyout someone worth buying out.
    Pescarolo for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Buyout someone worth buying out.
    Pescarolo for example.
    Yeah it would make sense for a British manufacturer to call in the help of a French legend or Italian gentleman driver.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I hope that if they do eventually return it's not with a diesel.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The French would storm the Bastille and guillotine everyone all over again if Pescarolo left French ownership
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I hope that if they do eventually return it's not with a diesel.
    then they would not be really planning for a win...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    then they would not be really planning for a win...
    Maybe they'd be aiming for a class win or something.

Or maybe in the future diesel's unfair advantage will be erased.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I honestly hate racing regulations...

It's no fun when they have anything to do with who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I honestly hate racing regulations...

It's no fun when they have anything to do with who wins.
    Care to elaborate?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

well with current regulations only diesels stand a chance to overall win.
    sad but true, audi and later peugeot just bought themselves a "private" class for the overall win.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by electrao View Post
    well with current regulations only diesels stand a chance to overall win.
    sad but true, audi and later peugeot just bought themselves a "private" class for the overall win.
    Have you ever seen an ALMS race? There the 'private' LMP2!!! cars can beat the R10s.

(Ted Joans)

Regularly too....I believe as Audi themselves have said, if a manufacturer brings the same caliber of competition as Audi with the petrol car, they can run on the level footing. Maybe not back in 2006 when they have the same tank size, but certainly now....

Acura and Porsche played it smart since in ALMS on the smaller track, they can run the Audi on pace and beat them on mileage with a LMP2 car. Le Mans or any kind of big European circuit their power disadvantage is bigger(mind you Porsche still managed at Road America and Sebring, both are power circuit)....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Regularly too....I believe as Audi themselves have said, if a manufacturer brings the same caliber of competition as Audi with the petrol car, they can run on the level footing. Maybe not back in 2006 when they have the same tank size, but certainly now....

Acura and Porsche played it smart since in ALMS on the smaller track, they can run the Audi on pace and beat them on mileage with a LMP2 car. Le Mans or any kind of big European circuit their power disadvantage is bigger(mind you Porsche still managed at Road America and Sebring, both are power circuit)....
    I guess people have already forgotten about the Audi R8, which was much more dominant than the R10 has ever been.

(Ted Joans)

Which I think was why Audi never let R8 to turn into a Hybrid LMP(not gas-electric, but LMP1/900 class transition hybrid). I think deep down they are not sure back in 2006 the car is actually faster than R8. Especially considering that car basically ceased real development in 2003....R8 afterall I think was a more optimized and balanced car, not a chassis made for a monster V12 diesel like R10 is....on top of the fact that R8 is basically indestructable....no engine failure ever, vs at the time the largely unknown V12 diesel....

And if I recalled correctly, they can do 15 laps on one tank(90L) at Le Mans with the FSI turbo V8, while running laps in 3:35s back then, with the tires now and car developed to current reg with an equivelent type of engine, you should have a diesel beater there....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information