Thread: Trouble with Wireless Internet

Trouble with Wireless Internet

All right so I moved into my new place and got my computer set up and internet is hooked up and everything but the problem is that I can't get my computer to connect with the wireless network.

It's a secure network and so I type in the password and it finds the network, connects and then says that there is "limited or no connectivity" and can't get online. But it also says that the signal strength is good or excellent.

So any help what so ever? I have tried all the no-brainer stuff: disable and repair connection, moving the computer/wireless connector, unplugging/replugging. I am very frustrated and using my housemates 3 year old crappy laptop for internet.

Call tech support and have Muhammad walk you through it. Whenever it does that for me, power cycling always fixes it.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Call tech support and have Muhammad walk you through it. Whenever it does that for me, power cycling always fixes it.
    Sorry for technical ignorance but what's power cycling?

Don't you have to set-up your firewall and virus protection also to allow it?.
    Is it connected through a network card this wireless internet?.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Software updates?
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

If you have Vista it just randomly sucks at finding networks sometimes.

It managed not to find my wired network once.

I would try calling for support anyways.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

What do you have providing the wireless signal? If it's a local router then it sounds like the problem may be with that rather than your computer itself, does anything else on wireless find it? Try googling both the wireless access point and your wireless network card, see if anyone else has had issues getting the pair to talk.

Power cycling is the fancy term for 'turn it off and on again'.

SOunds liek you're finding the network AND you are connecting fine.

The error you report is typical if if fails to then find access to the internet sites -- usually because the DNS is wrong or subnet limits are applied or blocked in the router. Tell us the compelte configuratino and cabling and we might be able to help.

As suggested, if your ISP offers free support phone then make a call !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Sorry for technical ignorance but what's power cycling?
    I think that's resetting the router by pulling out the power plug for the router, waiting a couple seconds (mine says around 10) and putting it back in. That's basically manually resetting the router.

It works for me sometimes.

Yeah I might try that but I really seem to think the problem is with my computer because of all the signs says I am connected but I am not physically connected. The router is downstairs and I am upstairs but there has been no problem connecting any of the other two computers in the house to the network, from any room, including where my problem computer is. I have XP and have never had a previous problem with my wireless card connecting to a network. My firewall is disabled and none of my settings are different then before. Now one thing that doesn't seem to be right is that my provider gave us the IP address for the router and that doesn't match the IP address that my computer claims its connected to, but it is the correct SSID and network name, etc. I think I will unplug the router for a few minutes and plug it back in. I will check back here after I do that. I will also call my ISP...I just hate phone menus...

Check your DHCP settings in your comp and the wireless access point specs to make sure it's delivering all the right info.
    Easiest way to check is once the PC has "connected" to the wirless then right click on the network icon beside the time/date on the windows bar, chose Status and then look at Support tab and click details. Everything but the IP allocated to your computer shoudl be the same on all the computers !! So check that, esp the DNS

Try and log on to the wireless access point ( usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 ) and also try logging on to the router. The default IP addresses for both will be in their manuals or on support at their homepage.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well I don't know how but for some reason when I open Properties from the Status menu, the IP address corrects itself and then my internet works. So thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

hmmm, that reeks of a fault in the network stack installation.
    have you installed two wireless solutions at any time ? I've seen the intel one clash with ISP provided one.
    If it bothers you, I'd recommend removing all the network protocols, devices and re-install the ones you actually need and use.

Thread Information