Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Mosport Blog: Rumors & Rumblings

ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Mosport Blog: Rumors & Rumblings

The ALMS rumor mill is spinning at 20,000rpms with the end of the season in sight. Judge for yourself what's true or false in this Mosport edition.

AUTO-RACING - ALMS: Pruett's Thursday Mosport Blog: Rumors & Rumblings - SPEEDtv.com

A Growing BMW Presence

Salo Considering Retirement?

AGR is dropped and de Ferran Doubles in Size as the Shape Of Acura’s Plans for 2009 Appear to be Unfolding

Embassy+Acura?

Corsa+Biela?

Petit Le Mans Rumors are Flying

Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

Hope you're enjoying your stay here in Canada MPME - if you don't mind me asking, where are you staying? I'm not too familiar with Bowmanville and know that the track is kinda a distance away from Bowmanville proper - are there Bed and Breakfasts or inns or anything like that available in the area for the press and officials and teams or do they stay in Oshawa or even Toronto?

Reading your blog now.

EDIT: Ok finished reading, chock full of goodies as usual. A few things - you say de Ferran is the #2 Acura team, who is their #1 team?

Shame about the 909H not being at PLM - I didn't even know that was in the cards - it'd be sensational if Aston Martin brought the GT1 and/or LMP1 car though.

Dario being in an Acura would be interesting but I think it'd be in his best interests if he returned to the IRL where he enjoyed great success - I bet he'd make more money too.

Finally, what are the odds on seeing an M3 GTR at PLM this year?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 08-21-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Hope you're enjoying your stay here in Canada MPME - if you don't mind me asking, where are you staying? I'm not too familiar with Bowmanville and know that the track is kinda a distance away from Bowmanville proper - are there Bed and Breakfasts or inns or anything like that available in the area for the press and officials and teams or do they stay in Oshawa or even Toronto?

Reading your blog now.

EDIT: Ok finished reading, chock full of goodies as usual. A few things - you say de Ferran is the #2 Acura team, who is their #1 team?

Shame about the 909H not being at PLM - I didn't even know that was in the cards - it'd be sensational if Aston Martin brought the GT1 and/or LMP1 car though.

Dario being in an Acura would be interesting but I think it'd be in his best interests if he returned to the IRL where he enjoyed great success - I bet he'd make more money too.

Finally, what are the odds on seeing an M3 GTR at PLM this year?
    No real hotels in Bowmanville proper--I've stated in all 4 directions, with a 30min drive about the norm.

Highcroft has been Acura's #1 performer this year, no?

Dario is doe with the risks of the IRL--another surprise to see him back in the series if it happens. They aren't hurting for money.

I'd be very surprised to see the BMW on track at PLM. It'd be counter to all they've told me, but it owldn't be the first timeI was lied to.
    Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

Driving 30 min to the track ain't bad.....when I used to go there I drive from Mississauga all 3 days....

Food is more of an issue, I usually pack my own food for the race weekend. I don't like "McMosport"(greasy, expensive, and not filling), and driving to Wendy's or Tim Horton is a pain...maybe being a journalist you get hospitality food?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Driving 30 min to the track ain't bad.....when I used to go there I drive from Mississauga all 3 days....

Food is more of an issue, I usually pack my own food for the race weekend. I don't like "McMosport"(greasy, expensive, and not filling), and driving to Wendy's or Tim Horton is a pain...maybe being a journalist you get hospitality food?
    They sell food at the track?

I suppose depending on where you live in Mississauga it took about an hour or more to get there then yeah?

Thank you for the news/rumors.
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Journalists usually aren't catered to anymore than the fans are when it comes to track food.

Roughly how many journalists are at your average ALMS race?

A good read, thank you. We haven't had a 40 car field at PLM in several years. It wasn't very long ago that there were only 24 cars on the grid and Corvette racing finished 4th overall. This year will certainly be legendary.

Has any one heard any more about BK bringing their new B08/80 to PLM?

Roughly how many journalists are at your average ALMS race?
    It depends. The full-time brigade has 5-10, at most. Sebring and Petit draw a lot more international pros. You'll get another 10-20 local media to each event, ranging from proper newspapers to guys with small but dedicated sportscar websites.

In terms of the bigger entities, Autosport, DailySportscar.com, RACER, and my own outlet are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    A good read, thank you. We haven't had a 40 car field at PLM in several years. It wasn't very long ago that there were only 24 cars on the grid and Corvette racing finished 4th overall. This year will certainly be legendary.

Has any one heard any more about BK bringing their new B08/80 to PLM?
    I've been told it'll be running for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MPME View Post
    It depends. The full-time brigade has 5-10, at most. Sebring and Petit draw a lot more international pros. You'll get another 10-20 local media to each event, ranging from proper newspapers to guys with small but dedicated sportscar websites.

In terms of the bigger entities, Autosport, DailySportscar.com, RACER, and my own outlet are there.
    Is there anyone from any Canadian newspapers at Mosport?

Racing is not well covered here - the only major mention you get of it in Toronto is the Indy.

Toronto Star usually gets a blurb about the weekend's F1 and NASCAR race, ane ALMS race might get mentioned if they feel like it....IMO most writers for TorStar for motorsports are idiots...but thats just me....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Toronto Star usually gets a blurb about the weekend's F1 and NASCAR race, ane ALMS race might get mentioned if they feel like it....IMO most writers for TorStar for motorsports are idiots...but thats just me....
    Well the fact of the matter is it's probably like a low level staff writer in the sports section that knows little about motorsport and has been assigned to write a summary.

Well the fact of the matter is it's probably like a low level staff writer in the sports section that knows little about motorsport and has been assigned to write a summary.
    I caught a local TV station interviewing Jon Fogarty on their AM news show in advance of the IRL/Grand Am race this weekend, and just about fell out of my chair as she described his DP Riley as 'The Ultimate Sportscar.'

To say that the local media at most races have no clue and are totally reliant on the help and PR info from a series (and then run whatever they tell like ala the 'Ultimate Sportscar' comment) is just reality.

Thread Information